British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

3 hours ago, Col said:

Indeed.  An assessed new foreign rider is always a gamble.

Try winning the Championship in Football.  Promotion to the Premier League, then the clubs only ambition for their tenure in the top flight is not being one of the worst 3 teams.

I do think that it is less of a gamble with Vaculik, I think he will be suited to our tracks.

5 hours ago, g13webb said:

Its so much easier being a big fish in a smaller pond....;)

Big fish? 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I do think that it is less of a gamble with Vaculik, I think he will be suited to our tracks.

It is far from a massive gamble, but I imagine his scores will be somewhat inconsistent for the first month or two.  Some tracks will obviously come more naturally to him than others.  The big thing for me is, having someone of the quality & experience of Andersen alongside Vaculik & Pieszczek in the pits to offer advice.  King also.

Edited by Col
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Col said:

It is far from a massive gamble, but I imagine his scores will be somewhat inconsistent for the first month or two.  Some tracks will obviously come more naturally to him than others.  The big thing for me is, having someone of the quality & experience of Andersen alongside Vaculik & Pieszczek in the pits to offer advice.  King also.

Hans is a major plus for them, as Middlo said he won't increase his average much if at all but he is experienced, was a great captain for Poole and his help in the pits is invaluable, a major miss for Poole and a major plus for Leicester, good luck to him and the team, I am sure Leicester supporters will be excited by the team and they look like title contenders to me.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Poole do have Woryna in on 4.65 which is his 2016 average when riding for Coventry.  2 seasons later he is now a much better rider and will surely improve his average considerably. Likewise Szczepaniak is in on  presumably an old out of date average and what I have seen of him lately he will also surely add a few points to his starting average of 4.54. Typical shrewd thinking by Mr Ford yet again. Poole will do alright methinks.

So will you guys. Best 2 teams on paper so far.

Has anyone heard who the Team Manger will be for the forth coming season? I'd personally love it if Steady would be prepared to double-up and travel down the M1 to us every Monday. He was a huge fans favourite as a rider.

Leicester look good to me, will be interesting to see peoples predictions once all teams are announced.

Edited by hyderd

Some of the team, we more or less know what we're going to get.

There are two who you can put into the category of unknown quantities although we have good reasons to be hopeful.

The key man I think is Newman, especially early season. Can he properly fulfil his promise, and stay clear of injury? This is the year when he needs to kick on. Will he??

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

Some of the team, we more or less know what we're going to get.

There are two who you can put into the category of unknown quantities although we have good reasons to be hopeful.

The key man I think is Newman, especially early season. Can he properly fulfil his promise, and stay clear of injury? This is the year when he needs to kick on. Will he??

Kyle has to kick on this year because he meant to have done it for last 2 years. I just hope the guy can stay on the bike and not get injured. Last time he had a full season in 2015 won a title could he take the lions there this year??

• Like 1

Looking at our team for next season, I'm as optimistic as you can be for a Lions follower. If we are to be serious title contenders, then we cannot carry anyone. The key could be trigger happy Sarj. The margin between a warning and making a perfect start is so slight and if Sarj can get some help from senior team members on this front he could pick up some valuable points, particularly at home, against opposing reserves and second strings. If he does start trapping better it would also be a saving on elastic!

Would have been a big bonus if Leicester could have tempted back Syzmon Wozniak for this year as he had an average under six and is now Polish Champion and over 21. 

Decent team ram and good experience with Hans being a great team man and good with youngsters. 

• Like 1

On the face of things it would seem Leicester have put together a decent team.

Only Bell Vue and Kings Lynn to name all their 1 to 7. Should be an interesting season . Difficult to predict anything, But I feel a top 4 finish might be on the cards.  

On 13/01/2018 at 9:50 AM, The Observer said:

Has anyone heard who the Team Manger will be for the forth coming season? I'd personally love it if Steady would be prepared to double-up and travel down the M1 to us every Monday. He was a huge fans favourite as a rider.

Not heard anything but Lions website still says Lynch

19 hours ago, nightshift said:

On the face of things it would seem Leicester have put together a decent team.

Only Bell Vue and Kings Lynn to name all their 1 to 7. Should be an interesting season . Difficult to predict anything, But I feel a top 4 finish might be on the cards.  

Poole & Rye House also still to complete?

I see on the Lions website that Specsavers are now sponsoring us. Have they not been involved before, providing rose tinted pairs for the previous management?

• Like 3