British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

31 minutes ago, Smithchops said:

Hope so, what a difference a close season makes - whats your view on your chances ? I think better, but limited strength & depth may cost you ?

Think NKI will just about do his 9.04.Lambo don't seen bothered,think he might drop or do a Holder,mid season ,or at best ave under 8 :).Ty ..who knows,but over 5.5 i'd be surprised.Anderson.who knows.One thingi s that Lynn will always have a good reserve.But you can say that for a lot of teams.

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

What you omit to mention is that Lynch was also heavily involved in selecting or recommending this coming season's 1-7, before being chopped - all because Vaculik said he wanted Stead!!!

Read it again, Lynch was only involved on the phone with the people who were really building the team. In saying (about Hans Anderson) "absolutely brilliant, get him in.", doesn't exactly fit in with being 'heavily involved' with building the new team. With the riders they've got it didn't need Jim to give his opinion did it?

8 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Think NKI will just about do his 9.04.Lambo don't seen bothered,think he might drop or do a Holder,mid season ,or at best ave under 8 :).Ty ..who knows,but over 5.5 i'd be surprised.Anderson.who knows.One thingi s that Lynn will always have a good reserve.But you can say that for a lot of teams.

Good summary - I think you’ll struggle - I like Lambert, but a lot resting on very young shoulders and it depends on the roar in his heart after the content of the social media speculation about him been messed about !

Wonder if some of Lynche,s decisions during meetings which cost the Lions points was more of a factor than Vakulik wanting Stead? The tv meeting away at Somerset springs to mind.

Edited by bellevueace

On 1 February 2018 at 1:03 PM, Steve55 said:

Whilst you're talking about team managers, what about the comments made by Jim Lynch in this weeks Speedway Star. 'Shocked at losing his position at Beaumont Park'. Well most team managers in any sport who finish bottom of the league are sacked, didn't he know that!

And what about... "I do also have to say that I don't think I was supposed to win that last match against Sheffield."  So the riders didn't do that then, talk about blowing your own trumpet! He then continues stirring up the controversy again with, " I do wonder if the plan was that Sheffield would come up to the top league and Leicester would stay on Saturdays - so maybe inadvertently I got in the way of that!"  No Jim if that was the plan I'm sure you would have been made aware of it seeing as you're a top manager and can so influence the outcome of meetings. What a total d1ck head!!!!!!

He did seem a bit miffed.Cant really believe his play off comments though.

Bates have a thing with team managers they all seem to only last one season,Sheffield is a good example,H inchcliffe,Screen ,Lee,Boocock,but STEAD AS been given a second season at Leicester Norrie,Jim one season only  .Must not be good to work for.

A few people have said what a nice man Lynch was and made reference to what he's done in the past etc, but sport (and speedway!) is about the here and now. Jim is not he reason we did not make the play offs but he contributed to our wooden spoon position. I remember early last season in a post match interview in front of home supporters, he emphasised the importance of winning at home, but said that away from BP he wanted riders to 'just enjoy it'! Sorry Jim but that is unprofessional and when you look at some of the early away meetings where we surrendered leads (often late on), it makes you wonder what (if anything) was said in the pits. On the evidence of last season he appeared to be tactically naïve.

Jim would now seem to have time on his hands. So, wishing him good health, 'just enjoy it'!  

17 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Wonder if some of Lynche,s decisions during meetings which cost the Lions points was more of a factor than Vakulik wanting Stead? The tv meeting away at Somerset springs to mind.

Just watched that, that wasn’t his only bad tactical decision of the season either !

10 hours ago, speedy bill said:

Bates have a thing with team managers they all seem to only last one season,Sheffield is a good example,H inchcliffe,Screen ,Lee,Boocock,but STEAD AS been given a second season at Leicester Norrie,Jim one season only  .Must not be good to work for.

I wouldn’t compare with Norrie, Bates just bough in their own choice with Jim, you could retrospectively ask if it was the right choice, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Valid comment about Sheffield though, there appears to be a pattern !

Looking at the fixtures list, the first 6 weeks of the season could be crucial. Leicester has a golden opportunity to take an early advantage so there can be none of that "our season starts in June" stuff if results in those 6 weeks arnt good enough. Nothing less than 100% at home will be enough plus at least two away wins during that period. 

There's a much better chance of achieving that with Stead as manager. Getting Vaculik and Pieszek dialled in, and Newman producing the goods is far more likely with him in charge.

Stead is a great addition to the pl. especially if the TVs deal gets signed. I liked lynch but I liked him because he came acrossed a bit of a wally. A fun character. But not a leader of men. Hope he does find another job in speedway. Maybe at a lower level though if he has the hunger for it.

Was talking to someone in the inside at Leicester and they was saying that the Bates family are going down a new route this season with new staff, as we have seen with simon stead some new track staff, and a new track man and with a good looking team. It may be Leicester year?????

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:57 AM, Trackerman48 said:

Was talking to someone in the inside at Leicester and they was saying that the Bates family are going down a new route this season with new staff, as we have seen with simon stead some new track staff, and a new track man and with a good looking team. It may be Leicester year?????

Basically a good clear out..Think we can all agree that was something well and truly overdue.

Kudos to the Bates family for not only recognising what was required, but also for doing something about it.

Pretty sure 2018 will be the best year for the Lions in the top flight by some distance.

Edited by 1 valve

19 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Basically a good clear out..Think we can all agree that was something well and truly overdue.

Kudos to the Bates family for not only recognising what was required, but also for doing something about it.

Pretty sure 2018 will be the best year for the Lions in the top flight by some distance.

Good to see a few teams having a clear out. 

Thr lions, Kings Lynn, Poole all got rid of some staff and thinks look better for all those teams. 

Somerset, Swindon, wolves and BV all look sorted. 

And well the person who runs Rye House is useless.