British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

The mafia can and do just about anything they want.Every now and again they are pulled up by the ACU  but ignore this as much as they are able

Cheers. 

It must have come in last year and I missed it. In 2016 both Klindt and Swiderski were signed on sub 4.00 averages. 

I think Jye might be the first effected. 

1 hour ago, ouch said:

Cheers. 

It must have come in last year and I missed it. In 2016 both Klindt and Swiderski were signed on sub 4.00 averages. 

I think Jye might be the first effected. 

Jye requires a work permit so is different to other riders you've mentioned.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flagrag said:

Plan B then at Leicester with the average changes as original planned replacement now has too high average.

Palm Toft will fit won't he?

13 hours ago, Gemini said:

How can averages change just as the season is about to start? 

Anyone know the answer?

Leave final confirmation of rider and team averages until right on the very even of the season. Very clever. Gives the affected teams no scope for threatening to take their ball away because of adjustments.

Is Sarjeants "new" average down to the recent adjustment to the PL/CL conversion rate?

But of course there has been no upwwrds adjustment to three Poole riders, who have all been absent from Britain for so long as to render their previous averages obsolete. Perahps they can now be changed to 7.50, 5.20 and 5.20 respectively so as to be more realistic?

16 hours ago, Gemini said:

How can averages change just as the season is about to start? 

Because they seem to make up the rules and change them to suit when they want to. Could be any reason tho.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Leave final confirmation of rider and team averages until right on the very even of the season. Very clever. Gives the affected teams no scope for threatening to take their ball away because of adjustments.

Is Sarjeants "new" average down to the recent adjustment to the PL/CL conversion rate?

But of course there has been no upwwrds adjustment to three Poole riders, who have all been absent from Britain for so long as to render their previous averages obsolete. Perahps they can now be changed to 7.50, 5.20 and 5.20 respectively so as to be more realistic?

In the regulations published earlier in the week ,it gave the conversion rate at 1.3 between the leagues, so as everyone believed Sarjeant's  average would be his Championship average from last season (3.33) divided by 1.3 = 2.56. But looking at the starting averages for the coming season Sarjeant is listed at 3.25 in the Championship, which divided by 1.3 comes to 2.50. So by their own rules he should be starting on 2.50 for Lions. I can only presume they have ruled him to be too low & have adjusted accordingly. Which if correct seems strange as you say considering the averages of others.

So we are 2 days away from the first match - albeit a challenge match to blow the cobwebs away as it were - but we still don't know what is happening about a replacement rider for Josh Bates ?????

The silence is deafening !!

1 hour ago, Robbobee said:

So we are 2 days away from the first match - albeit a challenge match to blow the cobwebs away as it were - but we still don't know what is happening about a replacement rider for Josh Bates ?????

The silence is deafening !!

Couldn't agree more! The promotion must have decided ages ago what they are going to do. On Monday the sensible thing would be rider replacement so that those riders who can take the extra rides get a bit more track time. Then they should come out and say if they are going to replace Josh or use guests/RR (not sure which they can do) until he is fit. One thing that promoters should do is try to build a good relationship with their fans. Not letting them know until the last minute who will be in the team doesn't help to do that!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Couldn't agree more! The promotion must have decided ages ago what they are going to do. On Monday the sensible thing would be rider replacement so that those riders who can take the extra rides get a bit more track time. Then they should come out and say if they are going to replace Josh or use guests/RR (not sure which they can do) until he is fit. One thing that promoters should do is try to build a good relationship with their fans. Not letting them know until the last minute who will be in the team doesn't help to do that!

Just days away for the first meeting not only the team news but where is all the pr and press should be everywhere promoting I'm telling all friends and family but why is there not advertising everywhere. Best team on paper for many a season weather forecast looking good promote the a..e off it and get a great new atmosphere in the stadium. Lions to win on Monday by a close margin... Play offs hear we come ??.

Looking forward to the start. But no news on the Bates situation's a bit unsettling. Maybe a bit of trouble at t'mill caused by Sarjeant's average? 

Team news posted on the Somerset Facebook page yesterday - looks like R/R for Bates as it's a challenge match.

2 hours ago, Cross Roads said:

Just days away for the first meeting not only the team news but where is all the pr and press should be everywhere promoting I'm telling all friends and family but why is there not advertising everywhere. Best team on paper for many a season weather forecast looking good promote the a..e off it and get a great new atmosphere in the stadium. Lions to win on Monday by a close margin... Play offs hear we come ??.

Over the Easter Holiday weekend tens of thousands of people will visit the Beaumont Leys Shopping Centre. I bet that only a tiny proportion knows that there is a speedway track virtually next door. If I was the promoter I would ask the Supporters Club to ask members if they could spend a few hours over next weekend giving out flyers giving brief details about speedway, the Lion’s fixture list, a map of where the track is and an offer of a couple of quid off the admission price on production of a flyer. If the Thompson Twins in their gear could help out that would be even better. No doubt the owners of the Centre would need to give permission but I would not think that would be a problem as Speedway fans must generate some extra income for their tenants even if it’s just visiting MacDonalds or the pub or filling up with cheap petrol like I do. If the owners do not give permission then I would arrange for cars plastered with speedway posters to be parked in the car park for the permitted four hours whilst the car drivers did their shopping or had something to eat and drink. Two four hour sessions a day over the four days of the holiday would only need eight different cars and drivers. What are the chances of something like this happening? Zilch!

• Like 1

We have R/R for JB for 28 days !, I agree the comms about this from the club have been poor, when I asked I was just told “all will be revealed, there is a plan”, what was the secret, and to hear it on an opposing teams news feed is poor ! R/R for the Challenge match makes sense to give our lads practice, but thereafter !!

Went to press & practice today, JB was there to say hello, has a scan on the 16th and wants to be back the next day !! Practice looked good, but it was o an empty track !