British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions 2018

1 hour ago, Lionsman66 said:

Turns out there is a lions press release soon. Could this mean changes afoot.....we can only Hope!! 2 riders out/in fingers crossed

I know that some are calling for Bjerre to be released and he's never been a rider I can get enthusiastic about. But due to unusual circumstances Leicester has had a dearth of away matches including incompletions and he has shown decent form when the chance has been there including 2 from 2 at KL before the unfortunate abandonment, and a good return at Wolves. As he is UK based I'm presuming there are no commuting costs.  He achieved an average over 8 last season, which surprised me, so I'm very 50/50 over whether or not he should be retained. Unless there is a new "over 8" rider coming in, in which case he would have to be released.

Pieszek after his early form has seemingly gone backwards though. From the TV coversge he doesn't seem to be interacting very much off-track which is probably down to lack of English but he looks like he keeps himself very much to himself. 

If Kim Nilsson could be persuaded to make a return, and if the maths allow it, that might help. At least he knows he will get paid!

32 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Pieszek after his early form has seemingly gone backwards though. From the TV coversge he doesn't seem to be interacting very much off-track which is probably down to lack of English but he looks like he keeps himself very much to himself. 

He's going backwards now, confidence seems to be shot, now quitting when he's at the back and returning to the pits after 3 laps

Bjerre hated the early grippy conditions unsurprisingly.  

The track was well watered for starters so why on earth they didn't water again was pretty annoying from a fan's point of view! I thought it was tactical because your boys hated it but who knows... 

Excuse given that Lions riders not used to track conditions since changes ??? Thought they could practice whenever they wanted - were any riders out practicing after the meeting last night ?  Just not good enough I am afraid but hey ho - I will be there every week hoping they go better next time !!

Todd Kurtz not on the pace at all and Pieszczek going backwards I fear -  replace both riders with Nicholls and whoever fits ( Connor Mountain ? ) Reserve will still be weak but no weaker than Kurtz and Nicholls should be far more consistent and probably cheaper than Pieszczek ? ...... just a thought

Cheers

• Like 3

Agree with that. Surprised that Mountain hasn’t figured in plans so far with how well he rides the track. Pieszczek looks incredibly uncomfortable on the grippy surface we now have. Making starts but struggling to turn the bike. Shame because he showed excellent form early in the season

I fear that following last nights result against Kings Lynn, the playoffs have now become a little less achievable. We need to pick up points away from home and to be honest, I don't see where we are going to get any. It would seem that the Leicester curse has struck again. The original team looked the best it had ever been, then the injuries and rider changes along with riders not performing to their best. I think the remainder of the season is all uphill. 

I think that the season is now finished as far as the Lions are concerned - they only have 4 home matches left plus 9 away so I can't see them getting anywhere near the playoffs. It will be a battle to avoid the wooden spoon again.

I feel sorry for the owners and promoters because I think that they have done their best to put a good team together but have been hampered by injuries and riders not performing. I was on here earlier in the season saying how low Bjerre's percentage of winning rides was  - I think it was about 33% then. Its now 27% which is less then Andersen, Pieszczek and Wells. He has only 4 wins in the last 6 home meetings so I think it would be wise to replace him although I take the point made earlier about his performances away from home. Having said that we need to win at home to keep the punters coming back! The two reserves are inadequate. I have lost count of the number of times they make the gate only to be at the back when they leave the second bend. The jury is still out on Pieszczek - his early promise has not been fulfilled although in recent weeks he seems to have been having problems with his machinery. He has always been inconsistent - winning one race and losing the next - but that's o.k. if he keeps getting 8 or 9 points and not the 4s he has been getting recently. Another point is that the Wright/Pieszczek pairing looks like an accident waiting to happen. One of these weeks they will wipe each other out as they both want to be on the same part of the track. Perhaps the pairings need looking at. Here's hoping that we have a better end to the season! 

20 hours ago, Robbobee said:

Excuse given that Lions riders not used to track conditions since changes ??? Thought they could practice whenever they wanted - were any riders out practicing after the meeting last night ?  Just not good enough I am afraid but hey ho - I will be there every week hoping they go better next time !!

Todd Kurtz not on the pace at all and Pieszczek going backwards I fear -  replace both riders with Nicholls and whoever fits ( Connor Mountain ? ) Reserve will still be weak but no weaker than Kurtz and Nicholls should be far more consistent and probably cheaper than Pieszczek ? ...... just a thought

Cheers

Leicester's current CTA is 41.76. By removing KP's 6.50 there is only 7.24 to play with and SN's current average is 7.35 so it doesn't fit. 

Fits if you replace Kurtz with Connor Mountain as I said ... although sure what benefit we would gain apart from a bit more solidarity in the team proper.

Cheers

• Like 1

OUT

Kenneth Bjerre, Krystian Pieszczek, Todd Kurtz, James Sarjeant.

IN

Scott Nicholls, Josh Auty, Stuart Robson, Connor Mountain

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

OUT

Kenneth Bjerre, Krystian Pieszczek, Todd Kurtz, James Sarjeant.

IN

Scott Nicholls, Josh Auty, Stuart Robson, Connor Mountain

Who can Poole fudge in out of that lot.

Nicholls for Bjerre - yepp

Auty for Pieszczek - not sure at this stage but Auty is riding well this season

Robson for Kurtz - yepp ( based on his last BP showing )

Mountain for Sarjeant - not sure but does have BP experience and should mean we go through less sets of tapes....

Cheers - onwards and upwards !

• Like 4

Leicester have done well there. All 4 of the new lads are an improvement imo

• Like 3