British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2018

1 hour ago, yahoho said:

Personally I am just happy I get to buy another panthers team shirt and support the team for another year.

Its become a bit of a tradition now in the winter, to visit the annual "will we / wont we debate at the showground - but so be it.

Heres to Ged for securing at least one more year at the Showground - if it stops, we all loose. Sometimes its good to remember that.

I enjoy winning as much as anyone else, but am quite happy to rock along and see some familiar faces drifting round the boards for my fix. Personally I prefer the likes of Ostergaard and Lambert coming back each year, instead of some random Dane who couldnt care less. Team continuity is important to me - I hate starting a season and thinking "Who the hell are these guys?", "my team" is just a list of riders, I dont like it. Seeing Ulrich and Simon rock up makes me feel like someone other than me cares about the result of this meeting, instead of just being another rider out for a paycheque.

Anyway, I digest.

Heres to another season!! Panthers!!!!

A noble starting point but one would hope that the club's ambition is somewhat more progressive than that. That view sounds more like a recipe for demise rather than the annual continuation of any sorts that you're happy with.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

A team manager recently said to me “It isn’t the team that starts the season that wins trophies it’s the team that it finishes with”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

A team manager recently said to me “It isn’t the team that starts the season that wins trophies it’s the team that it finishes with”

All different this season though with half the fixtures, if you get behind the back, very difficult to get those points back

16 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Don't agree Chris. Only if Ged tries something on will he get opposition, abide by the rules and it's welcome back. Don't forget you have to work together every week in the background regarding fixtures , guests, etc, so no point in making it harder to cooperate with each other. Every team needs favours from the rest of BSPA from time to time, to resolve issues ongoing all year.

Here, he's tried something on and been proved correct twice (I am sure that a Peterborough fan can tell me what the third one is). On the basis of what you are saying, he should simply have accepted what he was told -  ie that Nicholls couldn't ride for his team - and not make any issue of it.

That sounds a bit too much like a closed shop for me. Accept all our decisions - however crooked, biased, incompetent or illegal they maybe or how much they damage your business - and you're OK simply cannot be correct.

There should be no reason why anyone does not co-operate with Rathbone at this point. Not to do so can only be motivated by spite or vindictiveness..........and one or two have already mentioned just how much of that there is.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I doubt it, they're not yet quick enough.  Maybe could try one at the Ben Fund to see how it compares?  The video clips of him and Ellis racing them in France showed they may have potential.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Here, he's tried something on and been proved correct twice (I am sure that a Peterborough fan can tell me what the third one is). On the basis of what you are saying, he should simply have accepted what he was told -  ie that Nicholls couldn't ride for his team - and not make any issue of it.

That sounds a bit too much like a closed shop for me. Accept all our decisions - however crooked, biased, incompetent or illegal they maybe or how much they damage your business - and you're OK simply cannot be correct.

There should be no reason why anyone does not co-operate with Rathbone at this point. Not to do so can only be motivated by spite or vindictiveness..........and one or two have already mentioned just how much of that there is.

No, that's an over statement. It was agreed at the AGM when Peterborough was not represented. Ged signed Nicholls in about December or January,  when he could/should have known it was not allowed under the AGM decisions. Far better to highlight is illegality and test the decision, and not sign Scott, which really was an attempt to rock the boat rather than seek clarification of its lawfulness. Problem is when onlookers dislike the BSPA, along comes someone who breaks the rules and rigidly flaunts actions against a AGM decision , and he suddenly becomes the peoples champion. Sad Sad. Swop the personalties and substitute Matt for Ged and the speedway world would go mad with such arrogance.  

It is and has to be a closed shop, embracing ALL the BSPA, how else can a committee in charge of British Speedway operate ? The latter part of that para is way over the top IMO.

Which is exactly what I said. They ALL need to work together to run speedway, even if they have natural leanings for or against other promotions. Again spite and vindictiveness is way over the top IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

.....along comes someone who breaks the rules and rigidly flaunts actions against a AGM decision......

The AGM can decide the World is flat. That doesn't make it right!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tsunami said:

No, that's an over statement. It was agreed at the AGM when Peterborough was not represented. Ged signed Nicholls in about December or January,  when he could/should have known it was not allowed under the AGM decisions. Far better to highlight is illegality and test the decision, and not sign Scott, which really was an attempt to rock the boat rather than seek clarification of its lawfulness. Problem is when onlookers dislike the BSPA, along comes someone who breaks the rules and rigidly flaunts actions against a AGM decision , and he suddenly becomes the peoples champion. Sad Sad. Swop the personalties and substitute Matt for Ged and the speedway world would go mad with such arrogance.  

It is and has to be a closed shop, embracing ALL the BSPA, how else can a committee in charge of British Speedway operate ? The latter part of that para is way over the top IMO.

Which is exactly what I said. They ALL need to work together to run speedway, even if they have natural leanings for or against other promotions. Again spite and vindictiveness is way over the top IMO.

Ged talked and agreed terms with Nicholls well before he found out about new rules not allowing it, he wasn’t aware of what happened at the AGM until weeks after the event and I do mean weeks. Here we are nearly in March and this year regulations are still not in print.

I agree with you that they should all work together to run Speedway but I am afraid the reality is the complete opposite and until they do learn to work together the sport will flounder on.

• Like 1

So are you saying ged didn't know lakeside were told they couldn't use Scott or no one mentioned it to him or Scott himself didn't say?  Can't believe any of that for one minute.  I'm all for people defending Ged but I'm sorry, I can't believe any of the above.

• Like 3

ged to another promoter ....hey mate . i am not being allowed to go to the annual conference this year . just wondering if you could keep me informed of anything that was said out there .

sure ged , we will keep you informed . ( could have been anyone ) !

WEEKS later he finds out just what was discussed .

maybe  his FRIENDS dont respect him anymore and he has to get the info from the forum . some friends eh .

but at the same time fellow promoters are not going to spill the beans on what was said /agreed to a normal joe blogs guy , who at that time was not a promoter  and was lucky to get re instated back into the speedway world .

on a same note  , the workington promotion did not attend it either  , but were kept well informed by some kind of source .

i think even cookie mentioned it on his twi/facebook a/c .  so it was common knowledge about the 6 . 00 rule then . 

ged put his head in the deep sand and hoped it would go away . and in a roundabout way it did . thanks to the muppets in charge who dont know what they are doing .

thats a diff way of seeing things, my way .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Was it decided then?

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.33591

No mention of it here.

Edited by Barney Rabbit

33 minutes ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

So are you saying ged didn't know lakeside were told they couldn't use Scott or no one mentioned it to him or Scott himself didn't say?  Can't believe any of that for one minute.  I'm all for people defending Ged but I'm sorry, I can't believe any of the above.

See, this is the bit I don't get. Why were Lakeside 'told they couldn't use Scott' if Cook was at the AGM and knew what was decided? Why would he have needed to ask if he was already aware of the rule and that he couldn't use him.

Edited by Barney Rabbit

37 minutes ago, Barney Rabbit said:

See, this is the bit I don't get. Why were Lakeside 'told they couldn't use Scott' if Cook was at the AGM and knew what was decided? Why would he have needed to ask if he was already aware of the rule and that he couldn't use him.

Cook wasn’t at the AGM, Lakeside at that time wasn’t in either the Premiership or the Championship.

neither was any officials from the workington comets .( i do believe) it was still touch   n  go if the comets came to the tapes in 2018 . but they knew about the 6 point rule .

porky pies all around !