British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2018

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

As I understand it the best runner up is decided on a % basis of available match points in their group. If that results in a tie I assume average race points per completed meeting comes into play.

Failing that Duckworth/Lewis have a fantastic formula for finding a winner.............

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

It’s complicated to explain but we should be in with a great chance of best runner up providing we win on Tuesday

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It means Boro are in a strong position so long as they beat the Witches

9 points 4 meetings ave 2.25

From the 4 team groups this would require 3 home wins 1 away win and 2 losing points to have a higher ave

Given that kind of record would normally top a group its unlikely a second placed team will be as a good as that

At least it means the Witches still have something to ride for on Tuesday ;):D:P

Not that difficult :P

29 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Not that difficult :P

Of course that’s assuming that your explanation is correct and we are running on that formula, I have seen nothing in writing to say that’s the case bearing in mind this is a completely new competition.

Edited by bigcatdiary

6 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

As I understand it the best runner up is decided on a % basis of available match points in their group. If that results in a tie I assume average race points per completed meeting comes into play.

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Of course that’s assuming that your explanation is correct and we are running on that formula, I have seen nothing in writing to say that’s the case bearing in mind this is a completely new competition.

Your own promotion seems to think so....

13 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Thinking on....race points won't feature as it's not possible to have a tie for 'best second' based on match points (unless the second placed club in each of the four-team groups finish with the same match points).

Edited by NeilWatson

So  what have Panthers got to do to go through

16 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Win on Tuesday, then wait for the other runners-up. Their target will be 14 match points

24 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Win on Tuesday & hope that when the rules are made up we go through

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why does British speedway shoot itself in the foot so often by making things complicated and not explaining or clarifying it?

Am i right in thinking realistically peterbrough finish on 9 pts but theorectically they could get another 7 pts if there were 4 teams? giving them 16? 

wasnt something like this tried last year or the year before ? .  i am sure its been done before .

58 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Win on Tuesday & hope that when the rules are made up we go through

It's no doubt more a case of let's see who of the three second placers is our preferred option before we devise a formula to meet that objective, rather than taking a chance on a pre-agreed formula that could throw up a totally random outcome :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably keep quiet as if truth be known there would be a adverse effect on crowd on tuesday

30 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Probably keep quiet as if truth be known there would be a adverse effect on crowd on tuesday

Nobody needs to keep quiet though if the BSPA were doing their job (from the BSPA website):

PLAY-OFF PICTURE - HOW IT WORKS
- The top team from each group and the best second place race off in two semi-finals over two legs.
- Winners of semi-final then race over two legs in the final to decide Championship Shield winners.

How is best second place arrived at given unequal groups? As usual, it's just the attention to detail, not really Peterborough's problem. The lack of clarity probably helps us in that respect .