British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2018

header_pr.jpg

PETERBOROUGH are pleased to confirm next Friday’s (July 13) Championship fixture against Scunthorpe definitely goes ahead.
There has been confusion over the status of various Friday fixtures in the league, but the visit of the Scorpions to the East of England Arena was never called off.
The meeting takes place at the start of a massive weekend for the table-topping T.Balfe Construction Panthers, who also stage a double header on Sunday July 15 against Lakeside (in the KO Cup) and Sheffield.
Promoter Ged Rathbone said: “We were requested by the BSPA to look into not racing on any future Fridays, and we desperately tried to get some new Sunday dates at the East of England Arena.
“However, having spoken to the stadium there were none available, so although we’ve tried to do everything possible to help the BSPA we’re unable to change.
“So the meeting next Friday will definitely take place, and we’ve had an e-mail from the SCB (Speedway Control Bureau) confirming it is definitely on.
“I must stress that although we know it had been removed from the fixture list, the meeting was never postponed, and it should be shown once again in the BSPA fixture list very shortly.
“I wanted to clarify this for everyone as soon as possible, and we’ve actually had some enquiries from people down south who must be coming up to make a weekend of it, so I’m pleased to confirm to everyone that it’s definitely on.”
Panthers are aware of the date clash between their Sunday double-header and the football World Cup Final, but the meeting does need to go ahead due to stadium availability.
However, they will closely monitor the progression of the tournament, and will be prepared to adjust their start-time (currently 5pm) should England be involved in the Final which gets underway at 4pm.
Rathbone added: “Under normal circumstances we wouldn’t be running on that date, but it is simply a case of there being no alternatives and also it was the only time Sheffield could come.
“We need to get the fixture raced to make sure we get everything in before the cut-off, plus we have to get the KO Cup competition progressed.
“We will look at the situation over the next few days, especially if England reach the Final. We know we’d need to avoid a cross-over between the events if that’s the case.
“Obviously running a double-header with no crowd would be financial suicide for the club so we will do all we can to react to the situation, and I urge everyone to come along and back the team as we’re enjoying such a fantastic season.”

ENDS

spons-strip_peterborough_pr.jpg

Good one Neil :t:

So if Worky just say "we have spoken to the landlord and no other dates are available" then they can keep their Fridays too.....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

So if Worky just say "we have spoken to the landlord and no other dates are available" then they can keep their Fridays too.....

You mean like it has worked for Swindon racing Thursday's even though premier league  are only supposed to race on Monday's and Wednesday's . So yes why not. Going back to the 70's injuries were covered by R/R no guests were allowed  apart from being on international duties and world championship qualifiers perhaps we need to go back to what we had then  .

4 hours ago, NeilWatson said:
header_pr.jpg

PETERBOROUGH are pleased to confirm next Friday’s (July 13) Championship fixture against Scunthorpe definitely goes ahead.
There has been confusion over the status of various Friday fixtures in the league, but the visit of the Scorpions to the East of England Arena was never called off.
The meeting takes place at the start of a massive weekend for the table-topping T.Balfe Construction Panthers, who also stage a double header on Sunday July 15 against Lakeside (in the KO Cup) and Sheffield.
Promoter Ged Rathbone said: “We were requested by the BSPA to look into not racing on any future Fridays, and we desperately tried to get some new Sunday dates at the East of England Arena.
“However, having spoken to the stadium there were none available, so although we’ve tried to do everything possible to help the BSPA we’re unable to change.
“So the meeting next Friday will definitely take place, and we’ve had an e-mail from the SCB (Speedway Control Bureau) confirming it is definitely on.
“I must stress that although we know it had been removed from the fixture list, the meeting was never postponed, and it should be shown once again in the BSPA fixture list very shortly.
“I wanted to clarify this for everyone as soon as possible, and we’ve actually had some enquiries from people down south who must be coming up to make a weekend of it, so I’m pleased to confirm to everyone that it’s definitely on.”
Panthers are aware of the date clash between their Sunday double-header and the football World Cup Final, but the meeting does need to go ahead due to stadium availability.
However, they will closely monitor the progression of the tournament, and will be prepared to adjust their start-time (currently 5pm) should England be involved in the Final which gets underway at 4pm.
Rathbone added: “Under normal circumstances we wouldn’t be running on that date, but it is simply a case of there being no alternatives and also it was the only time Sheffield could come.
“We need to get the fixture raced to make sure we get everything in before the cut-off, plus we have to get the KO Cup competition progressed.
“We will look at the situation over the next few days, especially if England reach the Final. We know we’d need to avoid a cross-over between the events if that’s the case.
“Obviously running a double-header with no crowd would be financial suicide for the club so we will do all we can to react to the situation, and I urge everyone to come along and back the team as we’re enjoying such a fantastic season.”

ENDS

spons-strip_peterborough_pr.jpg

If England do make it to the final it will have to be a very early start time on 15th to squeeze in a double header and allow everyone to get home in time. You won't get many away fans traveling either.

With no Sunday's available it makes you wonder what we'd have done with a proper fixture list - or what we will do next year? Also where are we going to fit in the shield match plus any other competitions should we progress?

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Noodles said:

If England do make it to the final it will have to be a very early start time on 15th to squeeze in a double header and allow everyone to get home in time. You won't get many away fans traveling either.

With no Sunday's available it makes you wonder what we'd have done with a proper fixture list - or what we will do next year? Also where are we going to fit in the shield match plus any other competitions should we progress?

Our last meetings on the 10th Sept. which is close to the cut off point for play offs. There will surely be dates after that which will be available then for us to complete other competitions. The season runs to 31st Oct.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stiltonpanther said:

Our last meetings on the 10th Sept. which is close to the cut off point for play offs. There will surely be dates after that which will be available then for us to complete other competitions. The season runs to 31st Oct.

Our last scheduled fixture is Sunday 9th September which is the final day before the league cut-off.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:36 PM, NeilWatson said:

Our last scheduled fixture is Sunday 9th September which is the final day before the league cut-off.

I think most Panthers fans already know that.  What I'd like to ask you (Neil) is what about if England make the WC final..... 

The Panthers website says that the club will "monitor the progression of the tournament and will be prepared to adjust the start time (currently 5pm) should England be involved in the Final".  So how's that going to work? 

The WC Final kicks off at 4pm, so even if it doesn't go to extra-time it'd be 6pm before anybody got into their cars to head to the EoES.  So the speedway couldn't start until 7pm - which leaves just 3 hours to fit in TWO meetings.  Jeezus H.... sometimes ONE meeting takes nearly that long!  And what if the WC Final does go to extra-time, or even penalties? 

Or is Ged thinking to start the meetings BEFORE the WC final?  In which case it'd need to start at midday at the latest.  Even that might not give people much time to get home (or wherever) to watch the football.  

Everybody understands that the Sheffield meeting has to be slotted in on that date - due to a combination of factors that have been mentioned: Showground availability, the league cut-off date,  Sheffield's ability/willingness to rearrange it for another date, etc etc.  But do we really need to have the Cup fixture on that day as well?  If that could be rearranged, the Sheffield meeting could comfortably slotted  either before or after the WC final. 

I rarely miss a Panthers home meeting, but if England do make it to the Final then - unless Ged pulls a rabbit out of the hat - it looks very likely I'll be giving this double-header a miss.   And I don't think I'll be the only one. 

By the way, has anybody at Panthers thought about having a big screen on the centre green?  :unsure:      

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PE7Panther said:

I think most Panthers fans already know that.  What I'd like to ask you (Neil) is what about if England make the WC final..... 

The Panthers website says that the club will "monitor the progression of the tournament and will be prepared to adjust the start time (currently 5pm) should England be involved in the Final".  So how's that going to work? 

The WC Final kicks off at 4pm, so even if it doesn't go to extra-time it'd be 6pm before anybody got into their cars to head to the EoES.  So the speedway couldn't start until 7pm - which leaves just 3 hours to fit in TWO meetings.  Jeezus H.... sometimes ONE meeting takes nearly that long!  And what if the WC Final does go to extra-time, or even penalties? 

Or is Ged thinking to start the meetings BEFORE the WC final?  In which case it'd need to start at midday at the latest.  Even that might not give people much time to get home (or wherever) to watch the football.  

Everybody understand that the Sheffield meeting has to be slotted in on that date - due to a combination of factors that have been mentioned: Showground availability, the league cut-off date,  Sheffield's ability/willingness to rearrange it for another date, etc etc.  But do we really need to have the Cup fixture on that day as well?  If that could be rearranged, the Sheffield meeting could comfortably slotted  either before or after the WC final. 

I rarely miss a Panthers home meeting, but if England do make it to the Final then - unless Ged pulls a rabbit out of the hat - it looks very likely I'll be giving this double-header a miss.   And I don't think I'll be the only one. 

By the way, has anybody at Panthers thought about having a big screen on the centre green?  :unsure:      

Problem is I fear most won't bother regardless of start time. It would be a once in a lifetime event and most will enjoy the build up over the whole day with parties & BBQs organised with friends & family - or securing their place early at the pub.

The start time would have to be something like 11am to tempt me.

25 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Problem is I fear most won't bother regardless of start time. It would be a once in a lifetime event and most will enjoy the build up over the whole day with parties & BBQs organised with friends & family - or securing their place early at the pub.

The start time would have to be something like 11am to tempt me.

A worrying situation.  If England reach the final I see financial meltdown with huge knock on consequences!!!

• Like 1

If it is possible then start the first meeting at 1400, then have a big screen for the world cup and the second meeting after the football finishes.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stiltonpanther said:

If it is possible then start the first meeting at 1400, then have a big screen for the world cup and the second meeting after the football finishes.

Most sensible solution I have heard so far

4 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Most sensible solution I have heard so far

Even more expense & not guaranteed to have any impact.

Whilst we all hope England make the final we’ve two matches to get through first we win both of them before we should even think about the final so sort of getting ahead of our selfs here though it is only next Sunday - the obvious solution to me would be have the double header the following Sunday the day after Cardiff or is the Showground unavalble ?

5 minutes ago, Haza said:

Whilst we all hope England make the final we’ve two matches to get through first we win both of them before we should even think about the final so sort of getting ahead of our selfs here though it is only next Sunday - the obvious solution to me would be have the double header the following Sunday the day after Cardiff or is the Showground unavalble ?

True on the first point and:

Rathbone added: “Under normal circumstances we wouldn’t be running on that date, but it is simply a case of there being no alternatives"

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1