British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2018

That's an absolutely crazy post. Had to go to a staff meeting lastnight after the game but still enjoyed the game!! Went home after and had a drink!! 

Edited by bdjfan

Can somebody explain how we ran nearly twice as many fixtures last year, or what we would have done if it was 2 home & 2 away this season ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Can somebody explain how we ran nearly twice as many fixtures last year, or what we would have done if it was 2 home & 2 away this season ?

i dont think anyone can answer that one not even the people in the cheap seats .

3 hours ago, proud panther said:

Most  would like an explanation but somehow I don't think we will get one. 

5 hours ago, proud panther said:

It’s a hypothetical question of course as we planned 2018 in the knowledge that the league programme was only for 10 home meetings.

However, had the league been two home and two away (20 home meetings rather than 10) I expect that the Shield would have been shelved. We would have started the season closer to 15th March and no doubt the cut-off would be later than 9th September. We may have run a couple of double-headers, and/or more Fridays in addition to Sundays.

One way or another we would have fitted it all in!

(In 2017 Panthers raced on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday - as that was the agility needed to fit in the full programme.)

I would add that fixed race nights in 2018 meant that Championship Clubs couldn’t race on Bank Holiday Mondays which reduces available dates.

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

It’s a hypothetical question of course as we planned 2018 in the knowledge that the league programme was only for 10 home meetings.

However, had the league been two home and two away (20 home meetings rather than 10) I expect that the Shield would have been shelved. We would have started the season closer to 15th March and no doubt the cut-off would be later than 9th September. We may have run a couple of double-headers, and/or more Fridays in addition to Sundays.

One way or another we would have fitted it all in!

(In 2017 Panthers raced on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday - as that was the agility needed to fit in the full programme.)

I would add that fixed race nights in 2018 meant that Championship Clubs couldn’t race on Bank Holiday Mondays which reduces available dates.

im sure if needed some teams will be allowed to run august bank holiday 

but only if they have a rep on the right panel 

not for 1 minute would I suggest the rules will be changed to suit some promotions mind you let me make that clear

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

im sure if needed some teams will be allowed to run august bank holiday 

but only if they have a rep on the right panel 

not for 1 minute would I suggest the rules will be changed to suit some promotions mind you let me make that clear

Unlikely as six Premiership Clubs are racing on 27th August

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 10:36 PM, boston five said:

GP IN SWEDEN HAD BIG SCREEN FOR FOOTBALL MASSIVE CROWD !!!!!!!!!!!

Not a bad shout..not sure of the costs of putting a screen up but I bet it wouldnt outweigh the loss of income should England make the final.  If they did that I reckon it would actually result in a larger than average crowd and then everybody's happy.

i don't think it's just down to the cost of a large screen, i'm guessing because it's in a stadium there would be some sort of further license to actually show the football

header_pr.jpg

PETERBOROUGH will now stage just one meeting this Sunday (July 15) in a bid to minimise the effect of a clash with the football World Cup Final.
The T.Balfe Construction Panthers will still host Sheffield in the Championship, but the other half of a planned double-header has now been put back.
Lakeside, who were due to visit in the quarter-finals of the Knockout Cup, have now agreed to return to the East of England Arena on Sunday August 5, when the match will form a double-header with the Championship clash with Ipswich.
Start-time for Sheffield will depend on the World Cup situation. Should England defeat Croatia and reach the Final, Panthers’ clash with the Tigers will start at 7.30pm, which would allow ample time even should the football go to extra time and penalties. 
If England are beaten on Wednesday, the usual 5pm start-time will apply on Sunday.
Promoter Ged Rathbone said: “We’ve given this a great deal of thought, and whilst again we apologise for running on the same day as the World Cup Final, it’s simply unavoidable.
“We just can’t take the date out, but by moving the double-header into August it does mean that supporters should have time to watch the football and the speedway should England reach the Final as we all hope they do.
“I’d like to thank Lakeside for their co-operation, and this schedule should also make things easier for the fans as it means one double-header meeting only that weekend, rather than three home matches in three days on top of everything else at the moment.
“We still have a massive weekend to look forward to with Scunthorpe on Friday (7.30pm) and Sheffield on Sunday, and if we can keep the momentum up with wins in both it will be another big step towards the play-offs.
“And with a double-header to come against two of our closest rivals in Ipswich and Lakeside, that also promises to be a fantastic meeting.”

SUMMARY

FRIDAY JULY 13 – Peterborough v Scunthorpe (Championship)
SUNDAY JULY 15 – Peterborough v Sheffield (Championship)
SUNDAY AUGUST 5 – Peterborough v Ipswich (Championship) followed by Peterborough v Lakeside (KO Cup)

ENDS

spons-strip_peterborough_pr.jpg
  • Like 3

Any thoughts I had of going now over
No way paying more for 2 meetings... think a few Witches and Hammers fans will say the same....

Especially as the Witches at home to Lakeside on the thursday, then away to Lakeside on Friday... and now expected to pay of a double header that they dont want ... no thanks 

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Any thoughts I had of going now over
No way paying more for 2 meetings... think a few Witches fans will say the same....

Your choice unfortunately it has to be this way as we are struggling with fitting the fixtures in as it will be o/k  for Panthers fans and neutral's who will come just to see some speedway , but as you are only interested watching Witches , with increase in admission charge and travelling cost to be taken into account then I suppose it's understandable, but unavoidable.

How did you manage to fit in all last seasons fixtures,let's be honest it's rider availability that's causing most of the problems,this needs sorting out and cooperation between Promotions.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, BluPanther said:

Is it not possible to watch football without drinking alcohol ?  

Traditionally watching England (with a few exceptions) has required your anaesthetic of choice but thus far you can stay in control and watch the 2018 version.

Edited by Crump99

Don't know how it's been with showground availability over the past couple of months, but there has hardly been a meeting at Foxhall, if there was spare dates maybe a meeting or 2 could have been dragged forward, but I take it there wasn't any spare dates.