Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2018

With the caveat that not all the facts are in the public domain, it appears to me that the principle of a fine is correct, but the quantum of the fine seems excessive given the number of instances of dubious actions by promoters that have previously gone unpunished (or where sanction has been nominal).

• Like 1

Maybe the fine is reflective of the rewards gained by the Peterborough Promotion. If you cant do the time, don't do the crime.

you cant work like that.

If a promoter thinks he can get away with something or the punishment will be minimal because he cries 'it could close us down' then thats exactly what he will do.

I agree with you in principle but I genuinely think that Ged is not personally in a financial position to pay the fine. So only option is to walk away.

I agree with you in principle but I genuinely think that Ged is not personally in a financial position to pay the fine. So only option is to walk away.

Maybe the fine is the exact amount that Torun paid Ged? If so the money should still be in Ged possession as what's it been spent on?

Whoever is right or wrong, whatever the final outcome is, the one thing almost certainly guaranteed is: another group of speedway followers will be lost to the sport!!

• Like 1

Maybe the fine is the exact amount that Torun paid Ged? If so the money should still be in Ged possession as what's it been spent on?

Any financial payments paid by Torun are pure speculation i believe, i have seen nothing from any official sources to confirm any money changed hands. Mutual agreements are not always financial...

• Like 1

Any financial payments paid by Torun are pure speculation i believe, i have seen nothing from any official sources to confirm any money changed hands. Mutual agreements are not always financial...

As is the level of the fine.

If both are £45k as rumoured then both payment and fine are staggering IMO.

I do believe Ged felt giving permission was the lesser of 2 evils. The possible inducement received muddied the waters.

Ultimately Holder shouldve been told ride or be banned. Put the choice in his hands knowing he would be dropping Boro and Poole in it if he went to Poland.

If he still went then so be it. You then deal with it as best you can.

Its the same with any situation of coercion or blackmail - once you give in the first time they have you and you are in someway complicit going forward.

• Like 2

I think you will find that a very high proportion of the Fine will be suspended for a period of time subject to future conduct

So it has been "speculated" that

Ged received "thousands" as a sweetener.

Holder Jr was on £600 a point

What we do know is Poole were still able to use Holder in their meetings

So was beneficial to all of them...

However the fans lost out on seeing a full strength team and may now lose out by not having a team to support.

What else could the Bspa / SCB do? Sweep of under the carpet like everything else?

• Like 1

I do believe Ged felt giving permission was the lesser of 2 evils. The possible inducement received muddied the waters.

Ultimately Holder shouldve been told ride or be banned. Put the choice in his hands knowing he would be dropping Boro and Poole in it if he went to Poland.

Its the same with any situation of coercion or blackmail - once you give in the first time they have you and you are in someway complicit going forward.

Holder should not have been given permission by Rathbone,and the decision should have been left to Holder.Rathbone has himself to blame there is no loyalty from riders just greed.If Holder is a good as he thinks he is he would be full time in Poland next year.
  • Like 1

Whilst all this has been going on the BSPA and the SCB have NOT issued any statement publicly whatsoever on the subject , haven't they got the balls or are they just trying to cover up what has happened regarding the charge and the punishment involved .IMO the least they should be doing is informing the paying public just what they have concluded , instead they would rather leave everything open to hearsay and gossip) not in my back yard syndrome , commonly known as ( NIMBYS ). I could certainly find a better name for them .

Edited by New era Panthers
  • Like 3

So it has been "speculated" that

Ged received "thousands" as a sweetener.

Holder Jr was on £600 a point

What we do know is Poole were still able to use Holder in their meetings

So was beneficial to all of them...

However the fans lost out on seeing a full strength team and may now lose out by not having a team to support.

What else could the Bspa / SCB do? Sweep of under the carpet like everything else?

Stop people speculating and put some meat on the bones. All hell breaks loose at the EoES and what do we get from both organisations (having checked both their websites)? Naff all!

The best they do is in Friday's preview:

"Meanwhile Peterborough host Workington at the East of England Arena as both clubs move towards the end of their regular SGB Championship schedule.

The hosts are at full strength with Tom Bacon declared fit after a spill in the win at Derwent Park last weekend, whilst Tom Woolley again steps in at reserve for the Comets, who operate rider-replacement for Thomas Jorgensen.

Peterborough owner Ged Rathbone said: “Tonight is all about racing and keeping our winning run going. Everyone is determined to put on a show at one of the finest tracks in the country and remind us all why we love this sport.

“Hopefully the supporters will stay behind us by turning out in big numbers.”

Unless you knew what was going on, you'd think that of course it's all about racing and why the hell do the supporters need to stay behind you any more than normal?

edit: True NEP, I got a phone call and you got there 1st.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

This is the first post that mentions Poole since the announcement yesterday as a ban for Holder would have affected them also.

Has it taken that long to sort this mess out? No, there has been an inquiry where they have been evaluating the facts. There has been posts of other clubs possibly losing income(Scunthorpe & Newcastle) being the two teams that were first mentioned, when the 4's took place, but judging by the outcry on the forum on the relevant posts on this topic, more fans from other clubs have voted with there feet & stayed away.

The Jake Knight suspension(wrongly in my view) was handled almost straight away as it was in the Regulations of the outcome.

What, if anything, will happen to our Team GB riders, Cook & Lambert over their misdemeanours.

• Like 1

This is the first post that mentions Poole since the announcement yesterday as a ban for Holder would have affected them also.

Has it taken that long to sort this mess out? No, there has been an inquiry where they have been evaluating the facts. There has been posts of other clubs possibly losing income(Scunthorpe & Newcastle) being the two teams that were first mentioned, when the 4's took place, but judging by the outcry on the forum on the relevant posts on this topic, more fans from other clubs have voted with there feet & stayed away.

The Jake Knight suspension(wrongly in my view) was handled almost straight away as it was in the Regulations of the outcome.

What, if anything, will happen to our Team GB riders, Cook & Lambert over their misdemeanours.

It has been suggested plenty of times since August that Poole was a factor but it has never been mentioned as such anywhere. This is as close as we got for the conspiracy theorists:

"If the rider had gone to Poland and raced without the permission of his club he would have been banned for withholding his services for 28 days - this is not the case with Jack Holder as his club have given him their blessing and we have evidence of the true reason."

It's easy enough to come to that conclusion but I don't think the evidence is in the public domain.

Totally agree, i'm not defending how Ged handled the situation. As Cump99 said, without evidence of the 'mutual agreement' we are all in the dark concerning any possible financial sweetener, if indeed that is the case. No one is coming out of this with any credit, as usual in speedway its cloak and dagger secrecy and two fingers to the supporters. Transparency my ar## .....

• Like 4