British Speedway Forum
Steve0

Premiership Grand Final 2nd Leg - Wolves Vs Swindon 4 Oct

Not only very rare event, but it also happened in Sweden where underdogs Smederna put in an astounding performance to conquer Elit Vetlanda after losing the first leg at home.

Aided by Hampel and another rider not having enough fuel and having to use the substandard track fuel, so I read.

Aided by Hampel and another rider not having enough fuel and having to use the substandard track fuel, so I read.

Oh did hear something...was that Smarzlik?

Crikey,

First chance Ive had to watch the match fully on the recording today.

Was at Blunsdon on Monday, but was on a flight out to Spain for a golfing trip just a few hours later, so had to keep half an eye on updates Wednesday evening before managing to get the resort bar to find BT sports just in time for heat 15. Absolute scenes on our table of swindon lads and plenty of bemused faces everywhere else. 10 bottles of red between us, later, the next mornings early round at la manga south wasnt one for the golfing purist, to put it mildly.

Comisserations to wolves, who were as good in the first leg as Swindon were awful. Who knows what would have happened with Fred and Jacob in the team, it could have been a walkover, it could have focussed the robins riders much more, well never know, sadly.

I did get the feeling after that first leg though, that the performance from swindon was much like our early season form, where wed look useless for 2/3s of a home meeting, pull it back to something respectable in the last 5 heats, then go and put in a battling performance away by just grinding teams down, heat by heat, until we overhauled them in the end.

Unbelievebale that the whole season boiled down to the very final heat, incredible stuff, Id have loved to have been at monmore, god knows how Id have taken the nerves though. Another one in the eye (as if it were needed) for the playoff deniers. Im not sure whether I should be pleased or worried that the play off meetings (that were shown by BT), made British speedway look mildly exciting and remotely competent in the end, when in reality this season has somehow managed to be an even bigger train wreck than seasons before. The BSPA should be doing whatever they can to bottle the tension and excitement (big crowds, close meetings, drama, rather than discussions over the inadequate rules and farcical team lineups), to produce that over the course of the season next year. For those reasons this one isnt nearly as sweet as 2012, but glad we pulled it off all the same.

The pass from Morris in heat 13 to put swindon ahead and then the passes by BWD and Bellego in 14, was box office stuff. Just as well the bar I was in wasnt able to find BT in time for me to see those heats in real time, there could have been red wine all over the joint.

Well done to the whole swindon camp, from top to bottom, staff and riders, whove made a real go at getting the town buzzing about speedway again in the last 3 months. Just rewards. Hard luck on the Wolves.

Edited by Speedy swindon pete
  • Like 5

Sorry I'm a bit late but only recently seen the two legs on catch up tv.

And, after a helpful pm a few months ago from him, i wanted to congratulate "Sydney the robin" by pm but seems not able to accept pm's at the moment.

Anyway. Incredible viewing. Its years since I attended BL matches and in recent years its been second tier for me most of the time.

Commiserations to Wolves, but personally I don't believe in the playoffs system and from my point of view it was fitting that Swindon being 1st in the league table should eventually secure the title. Incredible drama, incredible viewing. Hearty congratulations to the Robins. :t:

• Like 1

I think with Fred and Jacob in the Wolves team, Swindon would have won 75-15 home and away, but, there again, we'll never know. :)