British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2018

Every year there is some kind of completely arbitrary rule designed to break up the successful teams. Last season it was the 38-point limit, previously it was one GP riders or similar.

Every year the supporters of the club(s) impacted moan and complain as if it is the first time it has ever happened.

And every year it happens some of the fans of these clubs then think "That's a load of bollocks, dont think I will bother next year"....

(Which in turn, is a net loss to the Sport)...

Swindon will have built up a following towards the end of last season as they delivered success which would have included many who had 'drifted away' from the Sport or even maybe 'newbies' curiously attracted by following a winning local team..

This season they will not have the chance to see the 'real Swindon' defend it's title through no fault of their own...

Therefore, I would be very surprised if Swindon are not very quickly back to 'regulars only'...

Its ludicrous the way that you can build growth in your own business, driven by your implementation of a succesful operating model, and then have that operating model taken apart by your competitors for their own personal gain..

It also means that when the 'Champions' come to your track it is nothing of the sort, but simply a diluted version wearing the same colours...

Beating 'The Champions' in any Sport should be an aspirational aim and them coming to town should help deliver one of the biggest crowds of the season, as you go with great anticipation to see your team pit itself against 'The Best'...

Except in Speedway of course, which has a 'better idea'...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 8

And every year it happens some of the fans of these clubs then think "That's a load of bollocks, dont think I will bother next year"....

Swindon will have built up a following towards the end of last season as they delivered success which would have included many who had 'drifted away' from the Sport or even maybe 'newbies' curiously attracted by following a winning local team..

This season they will not have the chance to see the 'real Swindon' defend it's title through no fault of their own...

Therefore, I would be very surprised if Swindon are not very quickly back to 'regulars only'..

Its ludicrous the way that you can build growth in your own business driven by your succesful operating model, and then have that operating model taken apart by your competitors for their own personal gain..

It also means that when the 'Champions' come to your track it is nothing of the sort, but simply a diluted version wearing the same colours...

Beating 'The Champions' in any Sport should be an aspirational aim and them coming to town should help deliver one of the biggest crowds of the season, as you go with great anticipation to see your team pit itself against 'The Best'...

Add to this how many youngsters who wear a certain riders top, race jacket or cap, and family who have paid for them, will now give up and stop attending so often. They are unlikely to buy rider gear again.

• Like 2

Therefore, I would be very surprised if Swindon are not very quickly back to 'regulars only'..

Its ludicrous the way that you can build growth in your own business driven by your succesful operating model, and then have that operating model taken apart by your competitors for their own personal gain..

I agree with what you say, but sadly Speedway in this country has been on a downward spiral for a fair few years,if these rules had not been applied then maybe our own "Belle Vue"would not of survived, and the NSS would still just be a drawing.The light at the end of the tunnel could be just around the corner, because IMO Britain has some decent young riders coming through, if these riders become great riders able to compete against the likes of the Poles, then old and new fans could be seen back at the tracks. Thats my dream, hopefully I'll still be around to see it.

• Like 1

And you prob cheered when it happened to Poole, so you will just have to suck it up.

Excuse me, I don't cheer when any team gets broken up, Poole included, you're probably having a good chuckle at Swindon and wolves. Best hope you have another crap season and no 8 pointers then.

• Like 4

Excuse me, I don't cheer when any team gets broken up, Poole included, you're probably having a good chuckle at Swindon and wolves. Best hope you have another crap season and no 8 pointers then.

It will be so good if this rule backfires on a couple of posters clubs.

I would be posting the same if any rider was forced out of a job.

• Like 1

I'm assuming Somerset will be interested in Doyle or Morris, whoever Swindon don't use!

I reckon Garry May will be interested in any top rider who will be available.

Not for me. One of those riders who does stupid or seems to go missing when you need him most.

Great entertainment value usually though.

Agreed; and that’s been seen quite often in the past both at Swindon and Somerset. However, his last bend last ditch effort when the pressure was really on in the second leg of the play off final at Wolverhampton perhaps showed some new maturity. Certainly his scoring this year showed a marked improvement and a better rider for sure.

That said, I’m pretty sure that if there is a glimmer of hope of signing Doyle, the Rebels management would take him over Morris despite his hefty average.

I can see a top three of Doyle, Graczjonek and Wright. Jake Allen and a returning Bradley Wilson-Dean could be an engine room with improvement in them.

• Like 1

You'll have to excuse my post from this morning i was in a,real bad mood and frustrated with mostly Swindon fans moaning about this rule. My apologies.
  • Like 1

It'll be more than likely that Nick will be at Swindon as it gives the Robins more scope for the rest of the side. However, I'd happily have either if we could get them.

You'll have to excuse my post from this morning i was in a,real bad mood and frustrated with mostly Swindon fans moaning about this rule. My apologies.

Apology accepted. :t:

• Like 1

Apology accepted. :t:

Slightly veiled apology with a final dig at your good self I reckon noggin.

Slightly veiled apology with a final dig at your good self I reckon noggin.

Not really. I am frustrated with mainly just Swindon fans complaining about this rule, I was just expressing my opinion which I am allowed to. I was in a bad mood this morning and vented when normally I would have bit my tongue on it, but i apologised as i felt it was the right thing to do and yet you are moaning about it, unbelievable!

Time to let Somerset have their thread back folks..... :t:

• Like 4