I think Charles Wright could miss out 

J Doyle 9.69
C Holder 7.16
R Lawson 6.43
J Holder 5.82
J Allen 5.07
Bradley Wilson-Dean 4.67
E Perks 3.33

It would be a travesty if Charles was not signed !!! He is committed to Somerset and implies so. Not happy with J Holder signing, he is immature and obviously lacks loyalty by his behaviour last season. He needs to take a step back and grow up !!!

• Like 4

On 16/12/2017 at 5:00 PM, sugarray said:

He has a fantastic sponsor who gives him solid backing.

So he doesn't want to earn more money because he has a good sponsor! 

26 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Have Somerset decided on Monday or Wednesday yet ?

Either!!

3 hours ago, foreverblue said:

So he doesn't want to earn more money because he has a good sponsor! 

Not what i meant was answering the how can he afford it question.

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Either!!

Feel Wednesday is the preferred day

21 minutes ago, sugarray said:

Not what i meant was answering the how can he afford it question.

I don't how any speedway rider who isn't a gp rider can afford to turn down work.

4 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

Have Somerset decided on Monday or Wednesday yet ?

Nothing has been said, but I assumed that it would be Wednesday.

On 16/12/2017 at 12:50 PM, RebelRebel said:

So with Jack Holder now confirmed I hoping it doesn't mean Charles is a victim of the numbers game.

Hoping for something like this maybe.

Jason Doyle 9.69

Jake Allen 5.07

Charles Wright 6.69

Jack Holder 5.82

Richard Lawson 6.43

Bradley Wilson-Dean 4.67

???? 4.13

Like that side, Stefan Nielsen at 7??

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, stevebrum said:

Seems Lambert is as cheesed off as Woffy with the governing body.

If only the BSPA would look after its own both boys might still want to ride here plus they have done naff all to help their career. 

Lambert certainly is on the same mould as Woffy thank god,  riders that want to better their career instead of staying safe in both British leagues and going nowhere fast. 

This quote intrigues me, as it imo, proves what is wrong with Speedway.

When you say 'better his career'...how so? Individually or as a team rider? What are speedway riders...individuals looking out for their individual glory, or team riders wanting to be the best rider they can for a team?

For me...this is the biggest problem in speedway. How many riders early in their career, focus on being the best team rider for a Club? Or do they dream of individual glory, and doing their utmost to use teams and clubs, to further their career in Individual pursuits like the GP's.

It's confused thinking, and tantamount to the downturn in Club speedway over the years imo...which after all is what most fans watch weekly.

I personally wish Speedway never ever had Individual world Finals or the GP series.

I'd prefer World team Cup finals and Test match series.

The focus in speedway is too much on individuals rather than teams imo.

It's all about teams and Clubs for me...either International or domestic.

Edited by Gresham
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Gresham said:

This quote intrigues me, as it imo, proves what is wrong with Speedway.

When you say 'better his career'...how so? Individually or as a team rider? What are speedway riders...individuals looking out for their individual glory, or team riders wanting to be the best rider they can for a team?

For me...this is the biggest problem in speedway. How many riders early in their career, focus on being the best team rider for a Club? Or do they dream of individual glory, and doing their utmost to use teams and clubs, to further their career in Individual pursuits like the GP's.

It's confused thinking, and tantamount to the downturn in Club speedway over the years imo...which after all is what most fans watch weekly.

I personally wish Speedway never ever had Individual world Finals or the GP series.

I'd prefer World team Cup finals and Test match series.

The focus in speedway is too much on individuals rather than teams imo.

It's all about teams and Clubs for me...either International or domestic.

Anybody that enters a sport as a professional would want to be the best they can be. 

If that sport has the potential to crown you a champion then there is nothing wrong in having that as the ultimate goal. Most will never get close,  some will be good enough to even be considered worthy of a chance. Even fewer achieve that dream. 

What is wrong in that? 

As long as speedway has been speedway it has always been as much about the individual as it is about the team.

Who wouldn't want to be considered the best team man in the sport? ? Many I'd imagine. And what a great thing to accomplish. 

There has always been riders that are more for themselves than have been for the team. 

This is not a sudden, unique or latter day trait.  It's always been that way. 

Lambert choose to ride in Germany from age 14 because he wasn't allowed to do so in his country of berth. That shows me a rider who want to progress the right way and on his terms.  Why not? ?  The UK/BSPA didn't look after him at 14  why should he put them first now?

I applaud the lad for progressing his OWN career the best way he can. If he proves to be a good team man along the way that I'm sure is a bonus for him.

Ambition over riding in 2 leagues in Britain going nowhere fast????

Is really any one more right than the other???

Don't get me wrong I'm more about the team too, but I like riders with ambition who want to achieve more. And if they are British and/or Wolves riders even better.

Let's just not kid ourselves that this is a new phenomenon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Anybody that enters a sport as a professional would want to be the best they can be. 

If that sport has the potential to crown you a champion then there is nothing wrong in having that as the ultimate goal. Most will never get close,  some will be good enough to even be considered worthy of a chance. Even fewer achieve that dream. 

What is wrong in that? 

As long as speedway has been speedway it has always been as much about the individual as it is about the team.

Who wouldn't want to be considered the best team man in the sport? ? Many I'd imagine. And what a great thing to accomplish. 

There has always been riders that are more for themselves than have been for the team. 

Lambert choose to ride in Germany from age 14 because he wasn't allowed to do so in his country of berth. That shows me a rider who want to progress the right way and on his terms.  Why not? ?  The UK/BSPA didn't look after him at 14  why should he put them first now?

I applaud the lad for progressing his OWN career the best way he can. If he proves to be a good team man along the way that I'm sure is a bonus for him.

Don't get me wrong I'm more about the team too, but I like riders with ambition who want to achieve more. And if they are British and/or Wolves riders even better.

With respect...my post wasn't pointed at you, rather what was said in the post. It was almost a comment without thought. Something that we've got accustomed too.

Yes...you are right, it's not a new phenomenom, but as I suggested in my post...it doesn't make it right. Speedway shot itself in the foot many moons ago, by making it a sport that was both Individual and Team.

Imo...it would be a bigger success nowadays, if it had chosen to be one or the other back in the day.

Strangely it felt like it was more team biased in the past.

Now, it definitely feels it's about Individuals.

Preferably it would have been great if we had British World team Champions rather than Individual world champions imo.

But...it won't change, and imo, will go further away from 'Team' glory in the future.

Personally I can't get excited about following an individual speedway rider...I however can get excited into following a team of riders that represent either my area or Country.

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

What is wrong in that? 

And the Sport when riders were household names in the Seventies due to TV coverage regularly on World Of Sport,  played on their individual (and International Team success) rather than the domestic team they rode for..

Whether Belle Vue did well or not was irrelevant to the overall success of the Sport in comparison to what Peter Collins did on ITV on regular Saturdays during the Summer in European, Intercontinental and World Finals, (and the WTC too)..

Nowadays of course the 'team dynamic' is nothing sadly but a pale imitation of what it once was, unfortunately we don't have a great 'Team GB' to get a nation interested, nor do we have the free to air terrestrial TV coverage to bring the likes of Woffy to a wider audience..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gresham said:

With respect...my post wasn't pointed at you, rather what was said in the post. It was almost a comment without thought. Something that we've got accustomed too.

Yes...you are right, it's not a new phenomenom, but as I suggested in my post...it doesn't make it right. Speedway shot itself in the foot many moons ago, by making it a sport that was both Individual and Team.

Imo...it would be a bigger success nowadays, if it had chosen to be one or the other back in the day.

Strangely it felt like it was more team biased in the past.

Now, it definitely feels it's about Individuals.

Preferably it would have been great if we had British World team Champions rather than Individual world champions imo.

But...it won't change, and imo, will go further away from 'Team' glory in the future.

Personally I can't get excited about following an individual speedway rider...I however can get excited into following a team of riders that represent either my area or Country.

My comment was in no way 'without thought'.

I fail to see where you think speedway "shot itself in the foot'.

Right from the earliest days of the sport there has been a league structure with a yearly world title.  Nothing has changed.

I agree that it 'feels' different these days , and that's down to the power switch that's happened in world speedway that Britain is no longer the place to be and the lack of riders means teams are made up of riders who ride for other teams too. Not ideal at all. Following a team is still as good as it ever was.

Also remember back in the good old days there was more individual racing on TV than team stuff so if anything team racing has the better coverage these days. 

It's like I said.  Not a lot has actually changed. Only a perception of what things were like in those days.

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

And the Sport when riders were household names in the Seventies due to TV coverage regularly on World Of Sport,  played on their individual (and International Team success) rather than the domestic team they rode for..

Whether Belle Vue did well or not was irrelevant to the overall success of the Sport in comparison to what Peter Collins did on ITV on regular Saturdays during the Summer in European, Intercontinental and World Finals, (and the WTC too)..

Nowadays of course the 'team dynamic' is nothing sadly but a pale imitation of what it once was, unfortunately we don't have a great 'Team GB' to get a nation interested, nor do we have the free to air terrestrial TV coverage to bring the likes of Woffy to a wider audience..

Exactly Mikebv. It was generally all about the top boys and individual - world's,  inter-continental, British finals seemed to be the range on the main TV stations. With the occasional live or prerecorded team match.

At least these days there is way more team racing available to watch on various TV platforms.