British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2018

Ive used the programme generator for a few seasons now, all you really need is the scoresheet, the rest you can read in the Star or online.

Programme advertising (as well as track advertising/sponsorship) might be one of the few income generators for a club?!  I presume like with Somerset, those clubs that also own their own stadia also have additional revenue from bars, catering and car parking (less any costs that go with them). 

For those clubs that rent their stadia they only get advertising, sponsorship and turnstile income - everything else goes to the Stadium owner!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

On 01/01/2018 at 10:29 PM, foreverblue said:

The point is value for money, if i am expected to buy a programme then a programme with loads of adverts and a team sheet is not value for money. 

Especially when the team sheet is usually wrong by the time of the event. I’d rather a 50p foursided racecard and advert sheet anyday.

Maybe it would be better if clubs had a basic free/very cheap racecard for every meeting and then produce a monthly magazine

8 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Maybe it would be better if clubs had a basic free/very cheap racecard for every meeting and then produce a monthly magazine

Definitely an option. I don’t like the idea that an overpriced programme is an important revenue stream for Speedway. 

I think it’s a tragedy that Speedway has completely neglected the power of the Internet and the potential revenue they could recieve online. It’s damn near criminal that there is no online shop on the website over the Christmas period. You cannot tell me that the £3 programme is a necessity when money is just thrown away over the Christmas period.

An online shop would open up Speedway merch gifts to the non-fan shopping for the fan something that now is impossible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BristolRebel said:

Especially when the team sheet is usually wrong by the time of the event. I’d rather a 50p foursided racecard and advert sheet anyday.

Me too - I seem to remember Somerset done that one season and it was much better from my point of view. Promotors piece, a page full of adverts, fixtures list and a scorecard. What more do you need? Nobody really cares anymore when the visiting no.1 was born, nobody really cares what happened on this day 10 years ago, nobody really cares what happened in the premier league at another track last week... all that stuff can be found online if you really want to know it. 99% of preppie who buy a programme want a scorecard and that's it. I don't want to pay £3 for that and I won't be either, like I'm sure many others won't either.

From memory when we had the race cards before they were all printed in house on the day so cheaper to produce and also they were up to date too.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Tracks like programme sales as they are VAT free.

Whereas the cheaper race card would attract VAT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Tracks like programme sales as they are VAT free.

Irrelevant if they would sell 3 times as many race cards at £1 each, produced in house for a lot less than bought in from a printing firm and more work for £3 - especially when the riders in the score chart at wrong. £22 (assuming the car park is £2 is it??) before you've watched a race on a weekly basis is too much for most people.

Edited by Najjer

2016 - Admission £15.00, Car Park £1.00, Programme £2.50

2017 - Admission £16.00, Car Park £1.50, Programme £3.00

2018 - Admission £17.00, Car Park / Programme not sure yet

I've been printing my own racecards since early last year, when I turned up for one meeting and they'd sold out of programmes. Since I always want to score the meeting, it seemed the only sensible way to ensure I wouldn't miss out again, and it's now become a habit. But if they offered cheap racecards at the OTA (instead of or in addition to the full colour programme) I would probably buy them.

Must be some sort of way of marketing the World Champion to the people staying at the various holiday camps and campsites in the area. Admittedly the owners of the holiday camps want people to stay in house as much as possible. But how many children get to see a current World Champion in any sport up close.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:29 PM, foreverblue said:

The point is value for money, if i am expected to buy a programme then a programme with loads of adverts and a team sheet is not value for money. 

Which is true, it certainly wouldn't be.   But at Somerset when I was there (three times) in 2017 the programme contained far more than the race listings and adverts.  There were pages and pages of off-beat and entertaining articles by good writers.    To me, the Somerset programme is very good value for money! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Uluru said:

Which is true, it certainly wouldn't be.   But at Somerset when I was there (three times) in 2017 the programme contained far more than the race listings and adverts.  There were pages and pages of off-beat and entertaining articles by good writers.    To me, the Somerset programme is very good value for money! 

That is unusual amongst most tracks I have been to.  If you consider a football programme has around 75 pages with at least 50 pages of information and that is 3 pounds I consider that good value. I have been to tracks where the programme is from a previous meeting, fair enough if the previous meeting was the rained off one which involved the same teams but that is not always the case and they have just inserting a team sheet and you still pay the same price.

There is certainly an android app for Speedway Programmes which I have used in the last few years.  Much more useful, especially when you always forget a pen.

23 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Must be some sort of way of marketing the World Champion to the people staying at the various holiday camps and campsites in the area. Admittedly the owners of the holiday camps want people to stay in house as much as possible. But how many children get to see a current World Champion in any sport up close.

I know the promotion already do get out and promote to the holiday parks (we have a Somerset Speedway sign in place at Brean Leisure Park/Brean Golf Club). We do need to change the sign though as it states Friday nights! I have also known Debbie to stand in the Leisure Park car park (with the owners agreement) handing out leaflets on weekends before too. I remember one weekend I had their Speedway advert trailer plonked outside my shop window too!

One issue that has hampered this a bit is the fact that Friday became changeover day at many of the Parks in BOS/Brean. A family arriving to the area on a Friday with kids probably just want to get settled into their holiday surroundings rather than turn straight around and head back to the OTA for a speedway meeting. With the change to a Monday or Wednesday racenight this might open this avenue up a little bit more for holiday makers to attend.

I have also suggested a 'speedway flyer' bus service might also be a way to get more holidaymakers attending but as you said ideally the Park owners want that customers £1 to be spent with them.

• Like 1