British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2018

21 hours ago, Najjer said:

I've heard the same. A great shame as Ez 9 times out of 10 (and even that is potentially doing him a disservice) the track he served up was superb.

Lets just hope we don't end up with the ploughed field or motorcross style tracks we had when Ez last left.

How true, will be truly sad if he has left. Did Shane Parker not comment on how dangerous it was when he left before? 

Have to get someone who knows what he is doing if he has gone. 

Ez had a very thorough knowledge of the Somerset track and what was required to prepare it. He certainly put the time and effort in and was passionate as to how it ‘rode’ each week. One could always see him peering anxiously over the 4th bend fence during meetings. Mind you, he rarely looked happy even if his surfaces were in top condition and communication was never his best trait.  That said, he will be a huge loss if the rumours are true that he has left  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Ez had a very thorough knowledge of the Somerset track and what was required to prepare it. He certainly put the time and effort in and was passionate as to how it ‘rode’ each week. One could always see him peering anxiously over the 4th bend fence during meetings. Mind you, he rarely looked happy even if his surfaces were in top condition and communication was never his best trait.  That said, he will be a huge loss if the rumours are true that he has left  

Not altogether true.  He did not put the time in and because of this most weeks the track was a dust bowl. 

Whoever does the track, it'll be to Doyley's preference - make no mistake about that!!:rolleyes:;);)

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Whoever does the track, it'll be to Doyley's preference - make no mistake about that!!:rolleyes:;);)

And what’s wrong with that?  He is the world champion after all! :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Quite right Steve. Many top line No 1's have a say as to how the track is prepared and watered.. Ezz at Somerset is not the exception. But you do need the right stuff to prepar the track with. Which is usually red shale, it binds better than anything else..

Edited by Starman2006

On 25/01/2018 at 11:15 PM, Najjer said:

I've heard the same. A great shame as Ez 9 times out of 10 (and even that is potentially doing him a disservice) the track he served up was superb.

Lets just hope we don't end up with the ploughed field or motorcross style tracks we had when Ez last left.

I've often said that even when Somerset looks like it's not prepared well it still serves up good racing. I've left Somerset a few times having only seen "good" racing and not brilliant and felt disappointed and had to remind myself it was a good meting but I expect so much from Somerset! Hopefully this is down to the great track and not the great track man, as I'm hoping to get to a lot more Rebels meetings in '18, Wednesday are better for me from a work perspective (easier to leave at 5.30 on a Wednesday as I have two more days to get stuff done than on a Friday which is normally deadline day!) and traffic should be 10 times better Newport/Bristol/Gordando way on a Wednesday that it ever is on a Friday! So don't let me down now with bad racing :D

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Where have I said theres anything wrong with it??  All tracks (except possibly KL) take notice of their senior riders!!:rolleyes::D

22 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

I do also hope that is wrong mate that Ezz has left. What he does is the mark of somebody who is/was throughly professional and takes pride in his work. I would talk to him everytime i go up there and you can see he takes a lot of pride in what he does. Yes he would like better equipment to make life easier for him but he works with what hes got.
Ezz always used to get praise for his track prep, but unfortunately riders want more of a say which is not always a good thing, especially when you have a curator like Ezz. Riders are professional sports men and ride many tracks, but rarely will you come across a dangerous track in this country. Remember you cannot prepare a track the same every week, weather conditions depict that, but the curators can only work with whats at there disposal.
We at poole have some very good track staff, and they work hard, without them there would be no speedway, and they are fully appreciated. Put it this way you wouldn't tell a Neuro surgeon his job, if its not broke you dont fix it. Good curators and track staff are a god send to speedway, and we need to keep them..

Edited by Starman2006

9 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Edited by Starman2006

Just wanted to send my best to Somerset press officer Ian Belcher who has decided to hang up his clipboard after 15 years service to the club. 

Best of British in your retirement mate. Hope to still see you stood on the second bend........”so wide he nearly ended up in Wiltshire”. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Just wanted to send my best to Somerset press officer Ian Belcher who has decided to hang up his clipboard after 15 years service to the club. 

Best of British in your retirement mate. Hope to still see you stood on the second bend........”so wide he nearly ended up in Wiltshire”. 

Top man Ian “Statto” Belcher, my first friend down at the OTA .

• Like 3

All the best to you Ian enjoy your free time.

:cheers: Top Man

• Like 2

Can only echo the sentiments to Ian.

Always made sure I had a chat when we came to Somerset.

Absolute top guy will be missed.