British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2018

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Don’t think Garys reputation has taken a dent. Did the right thing when a rider acts like a brat. You can’t tell your boss to eff off when taken out of a heat

As for Allens dropped points, they were both self inflicted so it was frankly hilarious when he came out on the centre green to be interviewed.  First of all he got a puncture by hitting the kick boards. Who put the bikes wheel on the kick boards? He did ! Secondly his chain came off causing him to fall. Whose fault is that? His or his mechanics! Should have checked the tension on the chain.

No doubt that Somerset were worthy winners though.

Sacking somebody via text message means your reputation takes a dent. His reasons for doing so are completely warranted but how he conducted that business is another matter altogether.

With regards Allen, I quite agree - hence why I said misfortune and not 'terrible bad luck'. Allen did however seem to imply that he didn't think the puncture was caused by any contact from the fence, as he completely the best part of a lap since that contact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You can’t tell your boss to eff off when taken out of a heat

Slightly different when that heat is only your second programmed ride though and the rider in question is effectively a home heat leader. No wonder he took it personally.

I really hope they can make it up. As an exiled Bees supporter who moved to Somerset last year I've really been enjoying my visits to the track and especially the spectacle that is Charles Wright in full effect riding the boards.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedybee said:

Slightly different when that heat is only your second programmed ride though and the rider in question is effectively a home heat leader. No wonder he took it personally.

I really hope they can make it up. As an exiled Bees supporter who moved to Somerset last year I've really been enjoying my visits to the track and especially the spectacle that is Charles Wright in full effect riding the boards.  

The ball is clearly in Wrights court. He is probably aware of what Gary May said last night and it’s clearly up to him to sort out a mess that he has caused.

I heard last week that a certain Poole rider was pulled out of a heat at Wimborne Road and got the hump with Middlo when he was told. He had ridden poorly in his first two rides and was shocked when told he was being replaced. His response was to come out in his last ride and show what he hadn’t showed earlier. Middlo got the response he was looking for. 

• Like 1

Interesting to hear that Charles Wright’s brother James who has acted as his mechanic this year thought that Charles was “totally out of order” towards Garry May. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Interesting to hear that Charles Wright’s brother James who has acted as his mechanic this year thought that Charles was “totally out of order” towards Garry May. 

Was he at the OTA last night? I thought I heard it mentioned but I can't remember now!

9 hours ago, Najjer said:

Was he at the OTA last night? I thought I heard it mentioned but I can't remember now!

James was in attendance 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Najjer said:

The sad thing is, like I said the other day and commented on last night at the speedway, that nobody wins in all of this. It's comes across as playground stuff from both Charles Wright and Garry May. Everybody loses....

Charles Wright loses as he no longer has a job at Somerset.
Garry May loses as his reputation takes a massive dent with the handling of sacking a rider(s) via text message.
The Somerset team performance loses as we've sacked last weeks top scorer.
The Somerset fans (most important of all) loses as we lose our longest serving rider and most entertaining.
The only person who stood to gain from all of this was Claus Vissing but even he now loses as he is so far out of depth riding at no.3 he failed to score last night.

If we had had Charles Wright last night, or frankly anybody who would of scored 4 points or so we would of blown Poole out of the water, along with Jake's misfortunes. I hear a few people stayed away last night because of the events of this past week which I'm surprised at. I'm first and foremost a Somerset supporter and all I want is to be entertained on a Wednesday night with good racing and see my team win. Against a better side who weren't carried by their star reserve, we probably would of lost last night and got entertained alot less in the process without Charles.

Sad situation all round.

Do we definitely know it was a text message?  It was a pity the centre green interviewer did not ask Gary that question.

Just watched the behind the scenes video, Doyle said a rut in the track, and need more dirt on outside as it's a white line track, however Najjer said there has been outside passing, want to know the track is Ok before I venture down again and spend my hard earned money. Any reliable track condition opinions?

I would trust nujjer he knows more than the WC .lol

Edited by lewy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Just watched the behind the scenes video, Doyle said a rut in the track, and need more dirt on outside as it's a white line track, however Najjer said there has been outside passing, want to know the track is Ok before I venture down again and spend my hard earned money. Any reliable track condition opinions?

And in all fairness he did also say the track was getting better and that it's not always going to be smooth. 

Interesting that he also said May was right in the whole Wright situation. 

• Like 1

Coming down tomorrow for my first visit this season hoping everything's sorted with the track. Never seen a bad meeting at the OTA. Fingers crossed

13 hours ago, lewy said:

I would trust nujjer he knows more than the WC .lol

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I simply said there had been outside passing - that is a fact. Whether there has been as much as in previous times is up for debate, but there has been outside passing. Jack Holder and Jake Allen have managed it with what looks like relative ease in recent weeks.

• Like 1

On the subject of the track being not up to Oaktree standard why not ask Ray Dickson to return to possibly fix it , track always had plenty grip when he was around and smooth only lives down by Exeter and retired so plenty time on his hands .

Anyone watching the Wolves v Lions meeting on BT Sport last night will have heard Peter Adams say that several tracks are having/have had issues with track prep due to the closure of the quarry that supplied much of the good quality shale over the years. Wolves, Poole, Somerset, IOW, Stoke (and doubtless a few more) have all had problems with the 'new' shale, in addition in some cases to having to change their track curators.

I'm not sure that any of the above is the fault of the riders?!

7 hours ago, molly1 said:

On the subject of the track being not up to Oaktree standard why not ask Ray Dickson to return to possibly fix it , track always had plenty grip when he was around and smooth only lives down by Exeter and retired so plenty time on his hands .

Be more useful getting the Rubberman in to replace Vissing... couldn't do any worse! 

• Like 2