British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2018

13 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I believe the plan was to have both if what I'm told was right - and like SCB, I've no reason to doubt it. Matt Ford demanding that we buy Holder was scuppered that.

That's not right though as Miedzinski was loaned to Poole & not transferred like Swindon wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntFaceMan said:

But wouldn't that have been around the same time that Chris Holder was banned and Matt Ford helped him appeal his ban? Seems a bit strange that Matt would be keen to help a rider who had no intention of riding for him, and strange that Chris would be going to Matt for support?

It was in Pooles interest to help.

If the ban remained as it was they couldnt use him, loan him out or sell him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It was in Pooles interest to help.

If the ban remained as it was they couldnt use him, loan him out or sell him.

True that!

Well Done for Somerset signing Doyke and securing his visa backed by Britsh Goverment but one rider doesn't make a team and can't see this team being strong enough to challenge.

Suprised Somerset can afford the wages of the World Champion especially with no TV deal but maybe that is getting help from a third party to finance his move back.  

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I believe the plan was to have both if what I'm told was right - and like SCB, I've no reason to doubt it. Matt Ford demanding that we buy Holder was scuppered that.

It's weird how when someone posts they heard a rumour on here and it turns out not to happen people scream, "YOU WAS WRONG, HaHaHaHaHa" as if it wasn't the plan all along but it failed for some reason. These people lives must be so meticulously organised that nothing ever changes that it's boring. Plans change, why shouldn't this one have changed?

12 minutes ago, SCB said:

It's weird how when someone posts they heard a rumour on here and it turns out not to happen people scream, "YOU WAS WRONG, HaHaHaHaHa" as if it wasn't the plan all along but it failed for some reason. These people lives must be so meticulously organised that nothing ever changes that it's boring. Plans change, why shouldn't this one have changed?

Exactly. Charles Wright was clearly one of the riders who wasn't flavour of the month either after the presentation shambles at the end of this season and potentially wasn't being considered with Holder on the horizon. I think there would of been uproar if Wright wasn't signed amongst fans. As an overall Holder is the obvious option but there is very few better to watch at the OTA than Wright.

Like you say, plans change and I'm sure this is another reason why the team wasn't announced in one go like it has been for the past what 4 seasons (?) and drip fed instead.

No loss missing out on Holder, a rider on the way down without a doubt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Najjer said:

Exactly. Charles Wright was clearly one of the riders who wasn't flavour of the month either after the presentation shambles at the end of this season and potentially wasn't being considered with Holder on the horizon. I think there would of been uproar if Wright wasn't signed amongst fans. As an overall Holder is the obvious option but there is very few better to watch at the OTA than Wright.

Like you say, plans change and I'm sure this is another reason why the team wasn't announced in one go like it has been for the past what 4 seasons (?) and drip fed instead.

Spot on regarding Charles Wright, he was a BIG attraction for me to pay my money through the turnstiles.

Now half the team FULL of Southern Hemisphere riders| 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Najjer said:

That would have been More Than a Few Quid Too Far - to have both Chris Holder & Doyle. A sponsor par excellence would be needed, as neither are less than expensive.

With no doubling up, and Doyle in the team I may return next season. Keep admission prices the same though !

• Like 2

There is still doubling up - just no fixture clashes leading to missing riders.

• Like 1

Great news. I said it would be a fairy tale if it happened. Good for Debbie, Garry and  attendances.

• Like 3

So the Somerset theory is... sign World Champion, get bums on seats.  He'll win enough races, the other 6 just avoid last places.  Can't see it happening, but the theory isn't bad.

7 hours ago, Col said:

So the Somerset theory is... sign World Champion, get bums on seats.  He'll win enough races, the other 6 just avoid last places.  Can't see it happening, but the theory isn't bad.

Doyle riding here this season is probably one of the main attractions not just at Somerset but at other clubs too when Rebels come to town. 

Away from home then that is probably the idea with Doyle allowed a tactical substitute ride. When it comes to the OTA then that is a different story. Lawson and Wright are very much heat leaders around the place. When dialled in Holder should be able to score big too. Allen and Wilson Dean love the place too. Jeppesen only has to beat the other reserves and has done his job imo. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2017 at 12:53 AM, Pinny said:

No loss missing out on Holder, a rider on the way down without a doubt.

I remember saying those same words in the winter of 2013/2014 about a certain G Hancock, he won 2 world titles after.