British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Mike Wood From London 1940s

Can anyone help with information about London-based rider Mike Wood who was active in the late 1940s? I think that he may have raced mainly at Rye House but would like to know if he was also involved with any league teams?

WOOD, Maurice (Mike)

Born: December 16, 1923, London, England.*

Mike was a Londoner who came into the sport through the Speedway World Training School. After trials with New Cross he had outings at Exeter and Hull before settling at Rayleigh, where he was to spend the majority of the rest of his career. Mainly confined to second half racing, he was afforded the occasional opportunity at The Weir and his most eventful season came in 1951 when he turned down the opportunity of signing for Newcastle after refusing to undertake the travelling involved, and rode for a team labelled England ‘C’ in unofficial tests in Sweden in June.

1948 Exeter

1949 Hull

1950-52 Rayleigh

Hope this helps

Matt

Edited by tigerowl
  • Like 1

Guest compost

I've got the following League averages for Mike -

Matches Ridden Lge Av

1948 Exeter Falcons 5 1.00

1949 Hull Angels 8 1.88

1950 Rayleigh Rockets 11 2.88

1951 Newcastle Diamonds 2

1951 Rayleigh Rockets 17 4.00

1952 Rayleigh Rockets 4

The 2 meetings he rode for Newcastle in were Northern Shield ones (an early season competition).

My non-League details are incomplete but I have him as riding at Rye in 1948.

Edited as formatting went

New Note : Quick review of the Rye House files on the researcher has Wood as riding at Rye in 1948 & 1949 only.

Edited by compost