British Speedway Forum
shalefan

Could Rain Cancellations Become A Thing Of The Past In Speedway

Might stop rain-offs but wind-offs would soon become a problem! If this ever happened I would imagine the cost wouldn't be cheap and with the reluctance of most tracks to even invest in covers I can't see it being a solution for speedway.

As i posted on another thread,i won't even bother to get in the car if the weather isn't great....i.e perfect.Had enough trips to see crap speedway or a meeting called off.Things are only getting worse with riders attitudes for whatever reason,and it might be that modern bikes are unsafe.Fair enough,but count me out of the equation.So i have missed a few meetings this year that i would probably have attended because of this,including the Bundesliga Final last weekend at my local track

• Like 1

I wonder how the speedway riders of the past (1950s -- early1960s) coped with visibility, no dirt deflectors or tear-offs and they managed with these http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/Speedway-Gas-Goggles.jpg over conventional goggles. I have seen riders and bikes coming back to the pits after a race completely covered in wet shale you could not even see the colour of their helmets or leathers, in conditions that no rider today would race in

• Like 2

I HAVE spoken to several riders who believe that there are tyres available that could be only used in wet conditions and that could save some meetings from being called off.

Then write about it in the SS...no point putting it on a forum...get it out there in print.

With respect...I like the way SS has been writing of late, but there comes a point where talking openly and ruffling feathers needs to be done.

I get that certain things have to be kept in hand, otherwise no one will speak to you....however, I think there comes a time when you have to say, enough is enough.

Get it out there and off your chest....say what the fans feel.

If not....soon SS will become what Backtrack is....a magazine about the past.

I wonder how the speedway riders of the past (1950s -- early1960s) coped with visibility, no dirt deflectors or tear-offs and they managed with these http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/Speedway-Gas-Goggles.jpg over conventional goggles. I have seen riders and bikes coming back to the pits after a race completely covered in wet shale you could not even see the colour of their helmets or leathers, in conditions that no rider today would race in

Check out @kenneth_bjerres Tweet: https://twitter.com/kenneth_bjerre/status/911483017092370433?s=09

We've had a few decent meetings in very wet conditions at the NSS this year involving both the Aces and the Colts. Riders seem prepared to give it a go and race, maybe because of the wide open spaces.

Edited by Aces51

Then write about it in the SS...no point putting it on a forum...get it out there in print.

With respect...I like the way SS has been writing of late, but there comes a point where talking openly and ruffling feathers needs to be done.

I get that certain things have to be kept in hand, otherwise no one will speak to you....however, I think there comes a time when you have to say, enough is enough.

Get it out there and off your chest....say what the fans feel.

If not....soon SS will become what Backtrack is....a magazine about the past.

'BackTrack' is GREAT!!! :t::approve::approve::approve:

As is my 'Classic Speedway' that arrived today. :t::approve::approve::approve:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

Do we actually want more meetings to run or continue in the wet?

Generally they are poor for spectators because the riders get very strung out trying to keep some visibility.

Not saying that is always the case but it's worth a thought.

Have watched a couple of meetings on DVD recently from Hyde rd in the 80s run in wet conditions- the 83 overseas final and sn early 86 league cup match. If you were told that that was arguably the best race track of all time I doubt you'd be tempted to attend another meeting -very much from the gate.

Stopping cancellations would be a good thing, but only if the solution means meetings can be run in good conditions. I still can't believe an affordable covers system hasn't been devised - wouldn't help if it rains during the meeting but would if the rain was in the lead up to it.

• Like 1

There were no dirt deflectors in the 80's. :lol:

My recollection is that most matches run in wet conditions were often from the gate depending on just how wet it was. The thing about Hyde Road was that fans were prepared to put up with the occasional wet meeting because of the brilliant racing usually served up and knowing that it had to be exceptionally bad for a meeting to be cancelled.

If anything the NSS can cope with wet conditions better than Hyde Road. There have been cancellations but a number of meetings in the last few months that have gone ahead after heavy rain and after a half a dozen races, when the shale has been turned over, there has been some good racing.

The council are supposed to be paying for track covers for next season so we shall have to see if they do and if so, how practical and effective they are.

I wonder how the speedway riders of the past (1950s -- early1960s) coped with visibility, no dirt deflectors or tear-offs and they managed with these http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/Speedway-Gas-Goggles.jpg over conventional goggles. I have seen riders and bikes coming back to the pits after a race completely covered in wet shale you could not even see the colour of their helmets or leathers, in conditions that no rider today would race in[/quote

I vaguely remember a rider at Old Meadowbank being helped off his bike because his leathers were so heavy on a wet night but the racing was more upright then and not so flat out. Matty Wethers top scored on a sopping wet track at Newcastle a few years back by sitting bolt upright and tootling round the inside line whilst the others flopped around all over the place..... I couldn't watch 14 riders doing that for 15 heats tho'

Have watched a couple of meetings on DVD recently from Hyde rd in the 80s run in wet conditions- the 83 overseas final and sn early 86 league cup match. If you were told that that was arguably the best race track of all time I doubt you'd be tempted to attend another meeting -very much from the gate.

Stopping cancellations would be a good thing, but only if the solution means meetings can be run in good conditions. I still can't believe an affordable covers system hasn't been devised - wouldn't help if it rains during the meeting but would if the rain was in the lead up to it.

I know most fans are bored about hearing this, but it already exists at Berwick. Their covers saved around half a dozen meetings this season.

• Like 1