Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington V Newcastle 07/10/17 19:00hrs Champ

On a more positive note, the racing was quite decent at times. Lambert had his best meeting at derwent park by a country mile and looked class. Woolley, bowtell and dugard are the rider's who should be filling the reserve berths at this level imo, not the likes of sarjeant who should be able to hold his own at second string by now (he was impressive last night).

7pm start should mean 7pm start though, unless there are exceptional circumstances, which I really don't think there were yesterday. That meeting should have been wrapped up by 9pm last night, as it should be every week. It's October, it's cold and there is very little excuse for what happened last night. We're down to the die hards now, who'll turn up every week regardless, but will still have a whinge. Problem is if you're not a die hard you won't whinge, you just won't turn up, which is what's happened (not only here by the sounds of it). The popular side Cafe was opened with positivity but that's ebbed away at an alarming rate and already seems almost abandoned, with the two initial generators being first reduced to one and then none. Customer is king, if they don't turn up its not their fault, it's yours to put it bluntly.

I really hope we do get things right and continue, and I do understand people are losing money and it's not easy, but it's so frustrating watching this sport sleepwalk from one short sighted disaster to another.

• Like 4

Will you please do us all a favour and get a one ticket to a warmer climate ..you never have anything positive to say ,if it's that bad it's simple really ...stay away , and while you're at it throw all you computers/laptops out , make this forum a much more pleasant read without you on it , you are such a ....head !!!

thank you for the kind words tj . i have wrote nicer words on forums , but not lately .

i supported mason campton big style when almost every other fan was wanting shot . also supported royno in his tough times at workington and the fans pressure left us with you know what ?

2 or 3 race wins at home does not make up for all the other last places . we all know where it went wrong V dryness !

i suggest you look on you tube and find a B.B.C. clip with freddie flintof and robbie savage in a discussion about fans and footy players .

savage saying the players dont deserve flack/stick over poor performances and freddie saying that the fans pay their hard earned money and are entitled to their opinion .

a guy that posesses to be a speedway rider is open to flack as well .speedway riders demand good money ,thats why they do it ., for the glory and the lifestyle .

us lot scrape all week and aave to go to a sport that we love and still support every week , bread on the table or not , we still go .

you are entitled to your say just as much as others are with their say ..

not that i know my posts annoy you , i will continue to post and pass my comments ,

AS I SAID , FIND THE BBC TUBE VID WITH FREDDIE AND ROBBIE AND YOU MAY JUST CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT FANS HAVING A POP AT SPORTSMEN WHO UNDERPERFORM .

ENJOY YOUR DAY AT SHEFFIELD ,THATS IF YOU ARE STILL GOING !

On a more positive note, the racing was quite decent at times. Lambert had his best meeting at derwent park by a country mile and looked class. Woolley, bowtell and dugard are the rider's who should be filling the reserve berths at this level imo, not the likes of sarjeant who should be able to hold his own at second string by now (he was impressive last night).

7pm start should mean 7pm start though, unless there are exceptional circumstances, which I really don't think there were yesterday. That meeting should have been wrapped up by 9pm last night, as it should be every week. It's October, it's cold and there is very little excuse for what happened last night. We're down to the die hards now, who'll turn up every week regardless, but will still have a whinge. Problem is if you're not a die hard you won't whinge, you just won't turn up, which is what's happened (not only here by the sounds of it). The popular side Cafe was opened with positivity but that's ebbed away at an alarming rate and already seems almost abandoned, with the two initial generators being first reduced to one and then none. Customer is king, if they don't turn up its not their fault, it's yours to put it bluntly.

I really hope we do get things right and continue, and I do understand people are losing money and it's not easy, but it's so frustrating watching this sport sleepwalk from one short sighted disaster to another.

a good post and no punches pulled . maybe other non moaners should read this . a proper fan

Edited by jenga

The forum woud be a sad(der) place without jenga.

He certainly has a way with words even if it turns out like a knocked over scrabble board.

• Like 1

The forum woud be a sad(der) place without jenga.

thank you people

He certainly has a way with words even if it turns out like a knocked over scrabble board.

and again thanks .

Jesus Christ please don't encourage him !!

d'you mean a 'bad ars cobbler' ?

Wasn't a bad meeting at all that, once we got going?? ;)

Some very good racing between two pretty evenly matched sides and the tight result was indicitive of how this season has gone in all the matches we've played!!

Disappointing to lose Cookie at such an important stage of the meeting but a nice rally round at the end and a last heat decider to tip the balance in our favour, despite the poor season it was good to end on a high with a win and finally seeing the "real" Robert Lambert on show!! :)

Just hoping now that that was just the last meeting of the season at home for us and "not" the last meeting full stop?? :(:unsure:

• Like 2

I'll take a little exception to what you have said here. Meetings should start on time but we can all forgive a one off because they happen in the best promoted clubs. To my knowledge, Workington haven't had another one like Saturday this season.

While I think that the organisation and running of meetings could definitely be better, Workington's track is better than many, so you almost always see decent racing. Pricing is as cheap as any other Championship club. The team at the start of the season looked good to me, and Hoggy is as good as any and better than most. Overall, its definitely one of my favourite tracks.

If all the above isn't enough, I could question precisely what the people of Workington want from their speedway club.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I'll take a little exception to what you have said here. Meetings should start on time but we can all forgive a one off because they happen in the best promoted clubs. To my knowledge, Workington haven't had another one like Saturday this season.

While I think that the organisation and running of meetings could definitely be better, Workington's track is better than many, so you almost always see decent racing. Pricing is as cheap as any other Championship club. The team at the start of the season looked good to me, and Hoggy is as good as any and better than most. Overall, its definitely one of my favourite tracks.

If all the above isn't enough, I could question precisely what the people of Workington want from their speedway club.

It was a delayed start the last time Newcastle were there (it must be a Newcastle thing lol), but can't say about any others, as the only time I visit now is when the Diamonds are there ( I was there most weeks when I filmed for GRT Media in 2006.!)

Edited by Steve Park

I was just asking a fellow supporter the same on Saturday night,well actually I had to shout,he was 100 metres away

Its a very good point you make Halifaxtiger regarding 'what do the people of Workington want from their speedway club', I have been asking myself that all season as the crowds have continued to dwindle. Unfortunately the only people who go on the forums are the die hard supporters, therefore it is very difficult to know. It doesn't help though that the official website is never up to date and the unofficial site has been closed down for some reason.

Yes there have been one or two niggles and certain things could definitely have been handled better which has resulted in the season falling away somewhat, however the track has been good (apart from last Saturday) and fair to all, and the racing has generally been entertaining.

I don't attend away fixtures so therefore don't know how attendances are standing up at other tracks, but we are certainly struggling at Workington.

Maybe the promoters in conjunction with the local press can canvass the local population to try and find out what would entice people back, as obviously a good track, good racing and watching the local lad and British Champion is not enough for some.

Its a very good point you make Halifaxtiger regarding 'what do the people of Workington want from their speedway club', I have been asking myself that all season as the crowds have continued to dwindle. Unfortunately the only people who go on the forums are the die hard supporters, therefore it is very difficult to know. It doesn't help though that the official website is never up to date and the unofficial site has been closed down for some reason.

Yes there have been one or two niggles and certain things could definitely have been handled better which has resulted in the season falling away somewhat, however the track has been good (apart from last Saturday) and fair to all, and the racing has generally been entertaining.

I don't attend away fixtures so therefore don't know how attendances are standing up at other tracks, but we are certainly struggling at Workington.

Maybe the promoters in conjunction with the local press can canvass the local population to try and find out what would entice people back, as obviously a good track, good racing and watching the local lad and British Champion is not enough for some.

The Workington publics sporting clubs are on their knees the rugby club can't sink any lower,the football club is light years away from league status,and comets are heading the same way,it doesn't seem to matter to the fickle supporters about entertainment,it's about winning titles,and comets have never really looked like doing so the last 3 or 4 years,hence the decline,cook has carried the team for the majority of the year,without any real consistent support,far too many blank weekends at the height of summer, the Roynon/serjeant fiasco,management not listening when the team needed a change of riding order,shuttleworth doing a runner,a team manager set in his ways,and yes I am a regular these are the concerns of some I've spoken to who don't go anymore,it's really sad how things have got to this,the last few weeks in a virtually empty stadium compared to how things once were,also the ridiculous rules and regulations that seem to appear willy nilly which benefit some but not others Edited by gregory peck
  • Like 2

Its a very good point you make Halifaxtiger regarding 'what do the people of Workington want from their speedway club', I have been asking myself that all season as the crowds have continued to dwindle. Unfortunately the only people who go on the forums are the die hard supporters, therefore it is very difficult to know. It doesn't help though that the official website is never up to date and the unofficial site has been closed down for some reason.Yes there have been one or two niggles and certain things could definitely have been handled better which has resulted in the season falling away somewhat, however the track has been good (apart from last Saturday) and fair to all, and the racing has generally been entertaining.I don't attend away fixtures so therefore don't know how attendances are standing up at other tracks, but we are certainly struggling at Workington.Maybe the promoters in conjunction with the local press can canvass the local population to try and find out what would entice people back, as obviously a good track, good racing and watching the local lad and British Champion is not enough for some.

I think fans are just fed up with the nonsense that the sport has become,it's a decent track and has some good racing,like my visits there.Here's hoping the racing continues next season.

I think fans are just fed up with the nonsense that the sport has become,it's a decent track and has some good racing,like my visits there.Here's hoping the racing continues next season.

Agreed . Workington produces great racing at times . It's the rules and regulations that strangle the sport that chase people away from the sport . If Workington close , and I sincerely hope it doesn't , it's the governing body in this country to blame . Promoters must be tearing their hair out at times as their efforts to try and run the sport at their track are undermined by riders being able to ride here , there and everywhere except for where their promoter wants them to be .

What other sport could have this scenario -

KO Cup quarter final Glasgow v Newcastle . 1ST Leg - Glasgow's top rider , Richard Lawson can't ride in the tie as he is riding for another team that night . So Glasgow bring in Edinburgh's Ricky Wells to ride in his place for Glasgow against Newcastle .

2nd Leg - Newcastle's top rider , Robert Lambert , can't ride in the tie as he was allegedly injured in Poland the day before despite winning his four races there . So Newcastle bring in Edinburgh's Ricky Wells to ride in his place for Newcastle against Glasgow .

How are promoters supposed to attract supporters to meetings and bring in sponsorship money when we get this kind of thing ? Unless the BSPA wakes up and realises that they've sleepwalked the sport to the edge of oblivion , tracks will continue to close as fed up supporters give up and find something a bit more credible to enjoy .

• Like 6