British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington V Newcastle 07/10/17 19:00hrs Champ

Agreed . Workington produces great racing at times . It's the rules and regulations that strangle the sport that chase people away from the sport . If Workington close , and I sincerely hope it doesn't , it's the governing body in this country to blame . Promoters must be tearing their hair out at times as their efforts to try and run the sport at their track are undermined by riders being able to ride here , there and everywhere except for where their promoter wants them to be .

What other sport could have this scenario -

KO Cup quarter final Glasgow v Newcastle . 1ST Leg - Glasgow's top rider , Richard Lawson can't ride in the tie as he is riding for another team that night . So Glasgow bring in Edinburgh's Ricky Wells to ride in his place for Glasgow against Newcastle .

2nd Leg - Newcastle's top rider , Robert Lambert , can't ride in the tie as he was allegedly injured in Poland the day before despite winning his four races there . So Newcastle bring in Edinburgh's Ricky Wells to ride in his place for Newcastle against Glasgow .

How are promoters supposed to attract supporters to meetings and bring in sponsorship money when we get this kind of thing ? Unless the BSPA wakes up and realises that they've sleepwalked the sport to the edge of oblivion , tracks will continue to close as fed up supporters give up and find something a bit more credible to enjoy .

As much as we dislike all this doubling up and teams losing all credibility and identity until the powers that be listen to what supporters all over Britain are so annoyed about then things are only going to get worse . I would like to see BSPA do something constructive about it even if it means de- strengthening of teams. Like most other fans I am sick to the teeth with doubling up and the only thing I've heard Chapman say is there looking about having more guests for 2018 .

The Workington publics sporting clubs are on their knees the rugby club can't sink any lower,the football club is light years away from league status,and comets are heading the same way,it doesn't seem to matter to the fickle supporters about entertainment,it's about winning titles,and comets have never really looked like doing so the last 3 or 4 years,hence the decline,cook has carried the team for the majority of the year,without any real consistent support,far too many blank weekends at the height of summer, the Roynon/serjeant fiasco,management not listening when the team needed a change of riding order,shuttleworth doing a runner,a team manager set in his ways,and yes I am a regular these are the concerns of some I've spoken to who don't go anymore,it's really sad how things have got to this,the last few weeks in a virtually empty stadium compared to how things once were,also the ridiculous rules and regulations that seem to appear willy nilly which benefit some but not others

Glad to see someone else shares my views on the town's sporting clubs and the first part of the first paragraph says it all, no matter what version your poison entertainment is secondary to success?

If you are successful you can guarantee a healthy following, if your competitive you can just about get by without winning trophies but no way will people accept any old tosh week after week, season after season just on the basis of "well at least you have a team to watch" (aka, Workington RL) that's not what it's about?

Comets tho, to their credit, have fielded entertaining sides, they've fielded competitive sides but they can't, for some reason, field a winning one, townsfolk see the league dwindling in size and yet despite that they still dont see Comets win any major trophies or even get into the business end of the season to even challenge for them :( It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will happen? :rolleyes:

Sadly, as far as the Comets are concerned, I think the damage has already been done with regards to getting the big crowds back, there's been too many false dawn's, too many season's starting like the hare and finishing like the tortoise, too many summer breaks, too many season's racing league matches when the title has already been won, it just put's people off going, stupid rules, as suggested already, make the sport a joke and very difficult to take seriously? :blush:

For the Comets to have a chance they have to have far more consistency as a team "and" continuity with regards to actually being out on track racing when you should be, rain offs aside that is, and try and keep the support focussed on Saturday night racing, no good complaining about poor crowds when you haven't been seen for weeks, do something about it, dont just stick rigidly to a fixture list, try anything and let people know that you're doing something to alleviate the issues, they'll stand a much better chance of being believed than they are now with their usual "once in a blue moon" outburst? :t:

I've already said that I just live in hope for next year, if we run I dont care what day of the week they choose I'll be there, lurking in the shadows, just like the last nigh on twenty years , to the bitter end I'll see it thru so........roll on next March????? ;)

• Like 6

Friday 20th October Glasgow v the Workington Comets at the Peugeot Ashfield Stadium Tapes Up 7.30pm

Friday 20th October Glasgow v the Workington Comets at the Peugeot Ashfield Stadium Tapes Up 7.30pm

Must be really difficult for our lads to maintain focus for another week and a half before racing this meeting and even longer when you consider the Newcastle match isn't on the board yet, at least, not that I'm aware of? :(

Must be really difficult for our lads to maintain focus for another week and a half before racing this meeting and even longer when you consider the Newcastle match isn't on the board yet, at least, not that I'm aware of? :(

The Redcar S.G.Petch Bears will be racing at Newcastle on Sunday 22nd October in a double header featuring Workington. The Bears will be missing a number of riders including the injured Charles Wright, Jason Garrity and Danny Ayres with their replacements being named shortly........From Redcar site Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 1