British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PHILIPRISING

Woffinden Or Harris

There are rules to be followed. Guests are horrible, as are many other rules but nevertheless they're there to be followed. Asset or not Woffinden riding for Wolves would have been wrong. That's the long and short of it as far as I'm concerned.

I agree yes but something needs to be done about Guests in general as you say and frankly, R/R does not make up sufficiently for an injured rider.

SHOULD Wolverhampton been allowed to bring in Tai Woffinden to replace the injured Freddie Lindgren in the race-offs against Swindon?

There is an argument that Woffinden, a Wolverhampton asset, would have been a more credible replacement than a guest. That old speedway cliche "special dispensation" springs to mind.

The front cover of Speedway Star this week features a photo of Sheffield's title winning team but, of course, there is an unfamiliar Tigers' face in the shape of guest Scott Nicholls.

Chris Harris has probably ridden in more play-off finals than any rider, frequently not for his own team. Just one more reason why so many fail to take British speedway seriously.

Great piece of sh#t stirring.
  • Like 4

its probably this type of thing that has brought the cut off point brought forward woffy or any other rider thats only interested inriding in uk when there other clubs seasons havnt started or finished shouldnt be considored

a point regarding squad system

id only welcome a squad system if the riders had to ride a set number of meetings i.e in every 7 meetings each rider HAD to ride in at least 4 or 5 and also each rider had to take there turn on the sidelines something that would be hard to work out but only fair as riders cant be expected to sign for a team and never get a ride untill someone else is out injured its not like football where they get paid good money regardless of if they play or not

While I dont like guests I dont agree woffinden should be allowed to do one meeting , he basically blows british speedway out then when he has no other meetings and his GP hopes are all but dead he wants British speedway, I didnt agree with it last year and I dont agree now, no Im not a fan of woffinden and I think he is being disrespectful to British fans who want to see him but only when it suits his agenda

• Like 6

As it goes i'd take Tai, but Bomber for pure entertainment.

THINK about it

SAME question ... you prefer guests?

They're not answering your question Philip, simply venting their anti-Woffinden spleen.

They're also not answering giving the circumstances either. A rider should not be allowed to be drafted in just for a final except in extenuating circumstances.. example.. a teams top two riders being out with 100% bona fide genuine injuries, not just covered by a 'doctors note'. No team is going to fiddle having their top two missing to bring in one rider and RR.

In terms of 'credibility' there would have been zero explaining to do to any outsider looking in and would have made utter sense.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

If you argue that an asset should not be considered a guest it would favour those teams with the greatest asset list. If say Harris were a Wolves asset but on loan to =Rye House this year he would still have been a guest irrespective of asset 'ownership'.

To create a situation where Wolves could have brought in Woffinden you would really have to create a squad system - and I suspect that would cause utter chaos to police in Britain.

In Poland riders are desperate to get in the teams and earn the big money so are prepared to wait as unused squad members. Would they wait to be called upon for pin money in Britain?

Whatever the temptation of allowing Woffinden in you either have a guest or squad system. They are logically excusive. Although the Lindgren case is obviously genuine, given some of the 'convenient' injuries at play-off time in past seasons the situation could become chaotic if a team has a useful asset not riding, as we have seen very recently.

Whether a rider is an asset or not, if he's in another team's declaration or not involved in the sport here he's still a guest.

Sadly Wolves are the victims of rule-bending by other teams in the past. Okay one team.....

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1

I'd have no issue if he or any other rider was declared in a squad. The problem is if Wolves put him in a squad and Tai is going for a world title, you won't see him ride. I'd also add that the rider must do a minimum 4 meetings to ride in the playoffs.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Thank goodness the Bspa, did not allow him to ride. The man is Cleary a glory hunter, and you Mr. Rising, seem to have had an after meeting drink.

• Like 1

Thank goodness the Bspa, did not allow him to ride. The man is Cleary a glory hunter, and you Mr. Rising, seem to have had an after meeting drink.

IF you actually read what I have written you will know that I was simply putting it out for a discussion while watching the final on TV last night. I do, however, think BWitcher makes a good point and wonder whether many of the points raised would have been the same had the rider in question not been Woffinden. Anyway, it created some online chat which was the point of the exercise.

• Like 1

SAME question ... you prefer guests?

The asset thing isn't worth thinking about . Glasgow have to take on Newcastle in the cup tomorrow night without two of our assets cause they're riding for somebody else . So instead of having two of our assets we're forced down the guest route .

• Like 2

The asset thing isn't worth thinking about . Glasgow have to take on Newcastle in the cup tomorrow night without two of our assets cause they're riding for somebody else . So instead of having two of our assets we're forced down the guest route .

THAT'S really a different but serious question and one which, presumably, the BSPA re trying to resolve with Premiership and Championship sides racing on different nights.

THAT'S really a different but serious question and one which, presumably, the BSPA re trying to resolve with Premiership and Championship sides racing on different nights.

It really has to , because even the die hards are getting sick to death of turning up to watch their team with three or four guests in the septet .

• Like 1