British Speedway Forum

Wasn't Ole co promoter at Vojens while a rider

Seem to recall Ivan complaining about Oles influence at the 81 inter continental final when ole was a promoter and the meeting was completed despite riders voting 14-2 to abandon it (Ole was one of the 2)

• Like 1

Ivan was also part of the consortium mostly as a sleeping partner I believe who ran Barrow for a while before Chris Roynon (Adam's dad) took over. Think Bradford were also ran by a rider / promoter for a time in the early 1970's....

Ivan was also part of the consortium mostly as a sleeping partner I believe who ran Barrow for a while before Chris Roynon (Adam's dad) took over. Think Bradford were also ran by a rider / promoter for a time in the early 1970's....

Alan Knapkin.

• Like 2

Wasn't Ole co promoter at Vojens while a rider

Seem to recall Ivan complaining about Oles influence at the 81 inter continental final when ole was a promoter and the meeting was completed despite riders voting 14-2 to abandon it (Ole was one of the 2)

Wasn't Olsen, together with Peter Adams, co-promoters of the 'Masters of Speedway' series during the late seventies? They weren't permitted to hold a round in Britain due to a BSPA's intervention denying them the right.

................. or if you have plenty of money, I would imagine.

No plenty of money scares the establishment

• Like 2

Alan Knapkin.

I remember him. Rode in spectacles, as I believe did Dave Baugh if I remember correctly.

Happy days!!!

• Like 1

I remember him. Rode in spectacles, as I believe did Dave Baugh if I remember correctly.

Happy days!!!

He retired from riding to become promoter of Bradford where he had ridden as captain and their number one ,had a very unusual arrangement with his handlebars as I remember .They were set off centre (50/70 mm) to the right i assume to help him in the corners ,they really looked strange but he was a top rider in the old NL .

• Like 2

He retired from riding to become promoter of Bradford where he had ridden as captain and their number one ,had a very unusual arrangement with his handlebars as I remember .They were set off centre (50/70 mm) to the right i assume to help him in the corners ,they really looked strange but he was a top rider in the old NL .

That's an interesting if slightly off topic in regard to Alan Knapkin. Did he at any time suffer a broken arm? I ask because another Bradford rider from the 1940s, Bill Osborne made a similar arrangement in regard to the placement of his bike's handlebars when he resumed racing after breaking his arm. He went on to ride for several tracks and gave them all good service. At one time Bill was 'a mate of mine' but sadly I lost contact with him in the early 1960s.

Edited by Guest

This is an interesting piece

1974 saw yet another name change with Bradford Barons replacing Bradford Northern as Alan Knapkin began his first full season in charge. He also sought and obtained special dispensation from the sports governing body to resume riding, but after a number of good results it was suddenly withdrawn on 16 June. On 17 July it was announced that the promoting rights had been sold again, this time to Shipley newsagent and long time Bradford speedway fan Jim Streets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Barons

That's an interesting if slightly off topic in regard to Alan Knapkin. Did he at any time suffer a broken arm? I ask because other Bradford rider from the 1940s, Bill Osborne made a similar arrangement in regard to the placement of his bike's handlebars when he resumed racing after breaking his arm. He went on to ride for several tracks and gave them all good service. At one time Bill was 'a mate of mine' but sadly I lost contact with him in the early 1960s.

I think it was down to Alan's riding style which was quite distinctive from memory .

Interesting point: should active riders be allowed to also promote? Ivan was also a co-promoter (with Barry Briggs, Harry Oxley & Jack Milne) of the 1982 World Final, and 1985 & 1988 (I think) World Team Cups, and fully intended to ride in the final should he have qualified. Would have been fascinating, to say the very least, vis a vis the Penhall / Carter incedent. Especailly if Ivan was in the same race....

• Like 1