Howarth  8.62

Masters 8.57

Schlein 8.58

Heeps 6.93

Morris 4.88

Greaves 4.51

Thorssell 10.36 (EL ave x 1.2)

Total    52.45

As others have asked, can you name any Championship side anywhere near as strong?

Also the Lakeside championship side would add up to just a tad over 34 using Premiership averages. It's still a decent sized gap between the two.

25 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Oh dear. 

That team is terrible.

all good solid riders and 2 improvers in Howarth and Heeps.

no risks with that 1-7 and easily top 4 material. 

then again they could sign 2 Poles in the hope they bring with them their form from abroad which is no certainty.

your on every thread mocking all the other teams when to be be honest Pooles doesnt look that good at the moment. Maybe in your mind we shouldnt bother with the league and just let Poole take it.

If Belle Vue build the supposed 1-7 rumoured they look big favourites

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 1

Just now, Gavan said:

all good solid riders and 2 improvers in Howarth and Heeps.

no risks with that 1-7 and easily top 4 material. 

then again they could sign 2 Poles in the hope they bring with them their form from abroad which is no certainty.

your on every thread mocking all the other teams when to be be honest Pooles doesnt look that good at the moment. Maybe in your mind we shouldnt bother with the league and just let Poole take it.

If Belle Vue build the supposed 1-7 rumoured they look big favourites

Thorssell wont improve his average. Neither will Schlien, Masters maybe, 

Agree about BV.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Although Lakeside do get Nick Morris on a lower average than Swindon.

That's the odd thing about the averages. Can't see why they didn't stick with using 1 average again.  Would make more sense. 

But of course this is British speedway so it's never going to be sensible. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lefty said:

Looks like £10 speedway has arrived in the Premiership!

that's 3 pound to much lefty 

Thorssell may hold his own in terms of average even at #1, but I think he'll struggle to win heats away from Monmore ALLOT more than Lindgren would.  He will only have a chance of maintaining that because there are literally no World Class riders in British Speedway as yet in 2018.  But he can only beat what is in front of him.  

• Like 1

I don't see many riders in that 7 who will improve on their average, which should surely be the primary aim when building any team. 

Safe to say that the team won't pull up any trees but it shouldn't be awful either in a further watered down league. Should be strong enough at home to beat most teams. However, it will certainly struggle away and I can't see it picking up any consolation points at most tracks. 

The good thing is that the promotion at Wolves have made changes in the past 2 seasons so hopefully if things aren't going to plan, they will do so again. 

No Freddie is a huge loss. I assume the decision was financial because there really shouldn't have been a question to ask between him and Thorssell.

I won't be purchasing a season ticket at the same price as the last 2 seasons (when we actually had a GP rider in our team after all) but will instead pick and choose meetings. The team isn't nearly enticing enough to go and watch every week, it's basically Championship standard racing plus Masters (who rode in the Champ last year anyway) & Thorssell. Last season was bad enough at times. Many of us want to see high level racing, not Championship standard. Hopefully the Swedish coverage will be back on Premier Sports next season because that's the only competitive high level team racing that most of us will get to see next year. 

Keeping prices the same across the board as the product gets weaker is just bad business sense but we've all come to expect nothing less from the useless BSPA. Is it no surprise that TV rights with BT can't be agreed when we have so few GP Riders over here nowadays? Unless a CEO type figure is appointed full time to promote, market and run the sport, then it will continue to get worse until the two leagues are combined. 

• Like 1

You could argue, and I'm not, that because of inflation in reality the price has come down, albeit not by much.

1 minute ago, Beowulf said:

You could argue, and I'm not, that because of inflation in reality the price has come down, albeit not by much.

Good point. It's been around the £17-£18 mark for a fair few years now.

Sorry Jacob.

If we were going to go down the 'No Freddie' path then  a strong team all round, including a super strong reserve at #6, would IMO, have been the way to go.

Hope I'm wrong and I'll be happy to have this post quoted ad nauseam come october!

• Like 3

Beer talking folks -  in the seventies I averaged five & a half meetings a week - easy with Wolves on Friday - Spoons on Sat - Dummies on Monday - Leicester / Ellesmere on Tues - Stoke on Thurs and all Wolves away!

Now I struggle to do home & away with Wolves!

My immediate thoughts are I hope Freddie was paid well in 2017 and can cope with being unemployed in Britain in 2018.

So much for 'loyalty'  - both sides of the fence?

I'm having a Don McLean moment...... the day that speedway died..... bye bye "Buster's Pie...  

Captain Smith (Titanic) has a statue in Lichfield Park.

The BSPA has sunk deeper - one above the eight & more doubling up - I feel I'm watching Wolverhampton Witches in 2018!

x

11 hours ago, Perton Wolf said:

I don't see many riders in that 7 who will improve on their average, which should surely be the primary aim when building any team. 

Heeps should. Slim pickings I know.

The team doesn't look to be a great one but don't forget in Speedway, given the nature of the play offs...

"it's not the team you start the season with but the one you finish it with" that really counts..

Who knows? Maybe the rules re 8pt riders change during the season and you could see Lindgren back replacing one of the middle order should the team average drop sufficiently to accomodate him?  

I think we as fans put too much focus and almost forensic dissection on the pre season team building when often it appears as nothing more than a tactical 'means to an end'..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

The team doesn't look to be a great one but don't forget in Speedway, given the nature of the play offs...

"it's not the team you start the season with but the one you finish it with" that really counts..

Who knows? Maybe the rules re 8pt riders change during the season and you could see Lindgren back replacing one of the middle order should the team average drop sufficiently to accomodate him?  

Unless rules have changed you aren't allowed to reintroduce a rider that rode for you the previous season that didn't start the following year. 

• Like 4