British Speedway Forum

Unfortunately Thorssell should never have been under consideration for this season once the 8pt rule was introduced. He has an average that is inflated by anything from 1-2pts from riding at number 4.

Once Lindgren wasn't being brought back they should have gone with Masters at No 1 and used those extra pts to have a very solid 1-7.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Unfortunately Thorssell should never have been under consideration for this season once the 8pt rule was introduced. He has an average that is inflated by anything from 1-2pts from riding at number 4.

Once Lindgren wasn't being brought back they should have gone with Masters at No 1 and used those extra pts to have a very solid 1-7.

That may be the case, but he did obtain his average in a stronger league than we have this coming season.If Jacob returns fully fit and is able to carry on the form he had before his accident,I recon he will be a suitable No 1 for the Wolves.

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

That may be the case, but he did obtain his average in a stronger league than we have this coming season.If Jacob returns fully fit and is able to carry on the form he had before his accident,I recon he will be a suitable No 1 for the Wolves.

Remains to be seen if the league was stronger last year. If all teams build close to the 42.5pt limit, we may be short of a couple of big names but overall the league this year will be stronger.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:54 AM, BWitcher said:

i agree with this.

the weak reserve lineup again is going to cost us in the long run.

Morris for me is the same as Clegg, both haven't progressed much in the last few years.

Greaves deserves a chance again after last season just for his efforts but he needs a stronger partner with him, if it was Riss he would potentially have been challenging Heeps and Howarth for a spot in the second string leaving us with a constant strong reserve. this line up leaves us with two weak reserves all season long

1 hour ago, dabbsjoe said:

i agree with this.

the weak reserve lineup again is going to cost us in the long run.

Morris for me is the same as Clegg, both haven't progressed much in the last few years.

Greaves deserves a chance again after last season just for his efforts but he needs a stronger partner with him, if it was Riss he would potentially have been challenging Heeps and Howarth for a spot in the second string leaving us with a constant strong reserve. this line up leaves us with two weak reserves all season long

Sorry, have to disagree with you here. 

Ash doesn't all 2017 in the main body of the team,  something Clegg has yet to achieve. He has been up into the main body but has failed to stay there. 

Clegg  achieved an average of 4.15 , with a large chunk spent at reserve again for Edinburgh. 

Ash spent a whole season in the main body at Newcastle for an average of 4.88. 

On paper less than a point between them,  in reality Ash earned his higher average from a more difficult position. 

Clegg has never been the same level as Ash IMHO.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Sorry, have to disagree with you here. 

Ash doesn't all 2017 in the main body of the team,  something Clegg has yet to achieve. He has been up into the main body but has failed to stay there. 

Clegg  achieved an average of 4.15 , with a large chunk spent at reserve again for Edinburgh. 

Ash spent a whole season in the main body at Newcastle for an average of 4.88. 

On paper less than a point between them,  in reality Ash earned his higher average from a more difficult position. 

Clegg has never been the same level as Ash IMHO.

Could Clegg be a better long term prospect ??

Morris is 3 years older than Clegg and looking at his stats has 3 years more riding experience. One would think that Morris should be more than 0.73 between them although take on your comments about Morris av being in main body of the team.

Personally I thought 3/4 years Morris looked quite good when I saw him on TV but doesn't seem to have pushed on much in his career (so far).

Having said that maybe long term this is their level in the sport ??

4 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Could Clegg be a better long term prospect ??

Morris is 3 years older than Clegg and looking at his stats has 3 years more riding experience. One would think that Morris should be more than 0.73 between them although take on your comments about Morris av being in main body of the team.

Personally I thought 3/4 years Morris looked quite good when I saw him on TV but doesn't seem to have pushed on much in his career (so far).

Having said that maybe long term this is their level in the sport ??

That's a fair point. I personally can't see that changing but then it did for Ash so it's possibly. 

It's worth pointing out that Ash didn't have the NL to fall back on to either. 

Clegg shouldn't have been this year either but as soon as he dropped his average and dropped to reserve he was off back to the comfort.  Until he gives that up he will never move forward. 

This tail wont be wagging as i have said before having a strong reserve pairing or even a strong reserve is so important unfortunately wolves have made the same mistake again i fully expect early team changes again.. 

Morris is already at the highest point of his career and sadly I do not see much indication of further progress in him

Best wishes to CVS for a speedy recovery after his surgery!!

BTW is there any truth in the rumour that the GP 9 point assessment is being dropped??  Phil Rising suggested that it was being changed to 8 points, but I'm now hearing that non-2018 GP riders will keep their previous UK averages?!

No way should rules be changed when some teams are complete on the originally agreed basis!

Obviously something to do with Poole not being able to get anyone decent.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

No way should rules be changed when some teams are complete on the originally agreed basis!

Obviously something to do with Poole not being able to get anyone decent.

The claim will be it was never officially ratified..

Or perhaps they will vote on how to treat such riders.. some teams will be in favor of a particular way and maybe a casting vote can be swung by agreeing to loan a rider in exchange for a vote... 

Edited by BWitcher

On 20/12/2017 at 3:40 PM, waytogo28 said:

Morris is already at the highest point of his career and sadly I do not see much indication of further progress in him

Fair enough, but what would you have posted had his average dropped last season? He’s past his peak and is on the downward slope?

9 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Best wishes to CVS for a speedy recovery after his surgery!!

BTW is there any truth in the rumour that the GP 9 point assessment is being dropped??  Phil Rising suggested that it was being changed to 8 points, but I'm now hearing that non-2018 GP riders will keep their previous UK averages?!

I also would like to wish CVS a speedy recovery, I know he sometimes gets some criticism as all Promoters do, but is recorded at Wolves is nothing short of miraculous, you never hear a rider complaining about not being payed on time, or Track preparation, I would go so far as to say it’s the most Professional run club in Britain    

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Argos said:

I also would like to wish CVS a speedy recovery, I know he sometimes gets some criticism as all Promoters do, but is recorded at Wolves is nothing short of miraculous, you never hear a rider complaining about not being payed on time, or Track preparation, I would go so far as to say it’s the most Professional run club in Britain    

All the best to CVS.I'm sure all speedway fans will want to do the same.

• Like 1