British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Chill, BWitcher, have an ice cold Verdelho and read my post again.  :)

I've read it, it is nonsense.

'dumbing down with double up riders can be better'.

Absolute ridiculous nonsense.

Edited by BWitcher

45 minutes ago, 847084 said:

If you discount double uppers there are less than 100 separate riders currently in Premiership and Championship teams. Enough for 13 teams.

The writing is on the wall, and has been for years.

And there’s about 150 riders listed on the 2017 year end averages, plus more newbies this year than retirees. Plenty for 16 or 18 teams, with excellent NL youngsters ready for reserve berths.

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I've read it, it is nonsense.

'dumbing down with double up riders can be better'.

Absolute ridiculous nonsense.

Ah, but you didn’t take long enough to chill.  :)

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

And there’s about 150 riders listed on the 2017 year end averages, plus more newbies this year than retirees. Plenty for 16 or 18 teams, with excellent NL youngsters ready for reserve berths.

Aha. Someone coming around to partly my  way of thinking if you read my post on the Poole Forum ;)

16 hours ago, DC2 said:

Yep, Stevebrum cough ....

Keep kidding yourself if you think there enough QUALITY riders to fill all team places. 

15 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Keep kidding yourself if you think there enough QUALITY riders to fill all team places. 

In the late 80's we had riders like Shane Cooper, Ade Hoole, Andy Sumner, Chris Cobby turning out for Wolves in the top flight. They were no better than National League riders today.. and that was when the league was a lot stronger.

There's more than enough riders.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BWitcher said:

In the late 80's we had riders like Shane Cooper, Ade Hoole, Andy Sumner, Chris Cobby turning out for Wolves in the top flight. They were no better than National League riders today.. and that was when the league was a lot stronger.

There's more than enough riders.

Disagree. I watch NL every week and there are some that would be able to deal with the increase in standard. 

Why don’t you add in the Development league riders then on paper there would be plenty more.

merely stating numbers only gives a very closed opinion.  It could only work if you strip back the level and kick out the top standard boys. No doubt some will be happy with that. Many wouldn’t.

13 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Disagree. I watch NL every week and there are some that would be able to deal with the increase in standard. 

Why don’t you add in the Development league riders then on paper there would be plenty more.

merely stating numbers only gives a very closed opinion.  It could only work if you strip back the level and kick out the top standard boys. No doubt some will be happy with that. Many wouldn’t.

I stated a fact, it's not something to disagree with.

27 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I stated a fact, it's not something to disagree with.

As previously stated, just to remind you, I stated there aren’t enough riders of suitable quality to fill all team places if both leagues stay the same or merge. I don’t need anyone to agree or disagree with that.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

As previously stated, just to remind you, I stated there aren’t enough riders of suitable quality to fill all team places if both leagues stay the same or merge. I don’t need anyone to agree or disagree with that.

I pointed out to you there were riders of National League level quality riding in the top flight for Wolves in the late 80's when the league was far far stronger. That's a fact.

If they went down the route of a big league the talent would be spread out across teams. Each side would theoretically have a stand out No 1, they'd have three heat leaders averaging 8+. Second strings would be second strings.. reserves would be reserves, in the main how it always used to be. 

The bottom end would be full of riders of a similar level, their jobs would be to score 3-4 pts.. not the 9-10 some expect from reserves now.. Again, just how it used to be. Some of those riders would develop and move up.. others wouldn't.. just how it used to be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I pointed out to you there were riders of National League level quality riding in the top flight for Wolves in the late 80's when the league was far far stronger. That's a fact.

If they went down the route of a big league the talent would be spread out across teams. Each side would theoretically have a stand out No 1, they'd have three heat leaders averaging 8+. Second strings would be second strings.. reserves would be reserves, in the main how it always used to be. 

The bottom end would be full of riders of a similar level, their jobs would be to score 3-4 pts.. not the 9-10 some expect from reserves now.. Again, just how it used to be. Some of those riders would develop and move up.. others wouldn't.. just how it used to be.

Very good post and I think this is the way speedway will have to go.

• Like 2

The system is skewed as you have Klindt a Poole reserve based purely on an average below his 5 team mates able to take 7 rides!

Need to go back to 4 rides 1 - 5 and 3 rides 6 & 7.

Reserves are reserves not team members allowed an advantage of 7 rides.

Edited by GWC
  • Like 1

Getting worried with Jacob now,  thought he looked really uncomfortable on the bike on Monday and he has failed to score on successive nights in the Swedish League