British Speedway Forum

Chris Harris was a worthy winner.

Sadly it took 2 hours 15 minutes to run the meeting (16 heats + 3 x 125cc races) to a conclusion on a rather cool evening. The parade started after 7:30pm and understandably took extra time as Woffy was well received and interviewed very well.

Terrace feelings near me was that the seven week gap between the last home meeting and this meeting;  together with the subsequent down grade from 16 riders to 12 just about summed up 2018. At least we had another programme insert to finish with!! One wag suggested Jacob Thorssell had the best idea by booking a holiday!

I did a walk around the back of the stadium just after 9:00 pm to try and restore blood circulation. It might have been good if someone from the promotion had seen the amount of people leaving at that time. Will they return next year??

37 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Chris Harris was a worthy winner.

Sadly it took 2 hours 15 minutes to run the meeting (16 heats + 3 x 125cc races) to a conclusion on a rather cool evening. The parade started after 7:30pm and understandably took extra time as Woffy was well received and interviewed very well.

Terrace feelings near me was that the seven week gap between the last home meeting and this meeting;  together with the subsequent down grade from 16 riders to 12 just about summed up 2018. At least we had another programme insert to finish with!! One wag suggested Jacob Thorssell had the best idea by booking a holiday!

I did a walk around the back of the stadium just after 9:00 pm to try and restore blood circulation. It might have been good if someone from the promotion had seen the amount of people leaving at that time. Will they return next year??

Very unlikely that they will return, many last year and this have mentioned that they are fed up with pointless delays and meetings taking too long to run, especially early and late in the season when the weather is not good.  2 hours 15 minutes is not as bad as some meetings but when it is cold people want the meeting run as quickly as possible.  If the club wants people to stay then they should put on a second half so that those that want to can leave after the main meeting.  This season has been better than last year at Swindon where most meetings are over within 2 hours where last year they dragged on.  I really would like the agm to ban the opening of the pit gates after a false start and the riders should go straight back to the start unless a rider is being replaced or being put back 15 mtrs.  It is the delays between races and the time wasting at the start that need looking into and reducing.

• Like 2

As regards the length of time took to run the meeting I hear what’s being said however this is no ordinary meeting.

handicap racing after the first 4 heats takes more time for the start Marshall’s to keep putting down white lines, announcer/ref/fans to work out which handicap is for each rider so it’s always likely to be a little slower pace.

saying that 19 heats in total in 2 hrs 15 mins isn’t too bad.

Have to say it never felt like the usual Olympique and stopped looking at scores after heat 8 and after chatting to a few people suddenly realised it was the final which I think is the first time it has had a final to decide the winner.

Lost quite a bit being 15 heats and a final and even with Tom Perry (local),  Kyle Bickley (Cradley and NGK Sponsored) and two Brummies or Cradley riders would have been more interesting. 

As for the racing, most passed were past the Pole who isn't a prospect for British teams any way and mistakes by riders including Sam Masters who wrecked his night almost doing a 360 on bend two and a number of riders seemed to be struggling at times.

Howarth looked to have the final won but Nick Morris who looked good messed up turn one and Bomber made the gate in the rerun. Didn't have the interest of previous Olympique meetings and the format wasn't a winner. 

13 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

As regards the length of time took to run the meeting I hear what’s being said however this is no ordinary meeting.

handicap racing after the first 4 heats takes more time for the start Marshall’s to keep putting down white lines, announcer/ref/fans to work out which handicap is for each rider so it’s always likely to be a little slower pace.

saying that 19 heats in total in 2 hrs 15 mins isn’t too bad.

More time to work out the handicaps? 

That doesn't take any time at all, it's already done at the conclusion of the previous races.. takes about 30 seconds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, T.N.T. said:

Have to say it never felt like the usual Olympique and stopped looking at scores after heat 8 and after chatting to a few people suddenly realised it was the final which I think is the first time it has had a final to decide the winner.

Lost quite a bit being 15 heats and a final and even with Tom Perry (local),  Kyle Bickley (Cradley and NGK Sponsored) and two Brummies or Cradley riders would have been more interesting. 

As for the racing, most passed were past the Pole who isn't a prospect for British teams any way and mistakes by riders including Sam Masters who wrecked his night almost doing a 360 on bend two and a number of riders seemed to be struggling at times.

Howarth looked to have the final won but Nick Morris who looked good messed up turn one and Bomber made the gate in the rerun. Didn't have the interest of previous Olympique meetings and the format wasn't a winner. 

Pretty sure there was a one off final in 87 when Sam won but will stand corrected

36 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

Pretty sure there was a one off final in 87 when Sam won but will stand corrected

Is that when he beat Hans Nielsen?

No disrespect to the riders but as a Premiership Event I think it shows how much the level this division has dropped with that line up.

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Is that when he beat Hans Nielsen?

Yes, it was over 15 or 16 heats with a final

18 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

I really would like the agm to ban the opening of the pit gates after a false start and the riders should go straight back to the start unless a rider is being replaced or being put back 15 mtrs.  It is the delays between races and the time wasting at the start that need looking into and reducing.

Sadly this most welcome suggestion - crisper run meetings being made the norm - does not seem to interest those who run speedway meetings (referee/clerk of the course/promoters) it is one of the most put forward suggestions AND the most ignored. The longer a meeting takes to run and the longer the delay between races means new supporters ( and the die-hards ) question the Value For Money aspect of the night out. How much exciting on-track action did we get for the money? Those who run speedway believe that we should be satisfied with 2 or 3  exciting races, that is good enough. Hence the leakage of existing supporters and the disinterest of the majority of newcomers, as to returning again ( never mind again and again ),

• Like 1

This whole thing of only have 12 rider individuals started a few seasons ago and I have not attended an individual since, its a complete rip off what the promoters up and down this country have done.

1 hour ago, marko said:

This whole thing of only have 12 rider individuals started a few seasons ago and I have not attended an individual since, its a complete rip off what the promoters up and down this country have done.

I listened to Cvs talking about getting riders for this on Monday night, he said a lot had gone on holiday and some actually said if “I wasn’t goid enough last week I’m not riding this week “ I don’t believe he couldn’t of got another 4 riders but one of the places could of been filled by someone who was there with his bike and would of been a major draw but obviously can’t be bothered to help out a friend in need 

People need to understand that Individuals are dead. Fans get bored and rider's just ain't interested in them unless there's a huge pot of gold to be had.

46 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

People need to understand that Individuals are dead. Fans get bored and rider's just ain't interested in them unless there's a huge pot of gold to be had.

The size of the crowd on Monday says otherwise 

20 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

The size of the crowd on Monday says otherwise 

Most of that for Tai though, especially with his meet and greet.