British Speedway Forum

" I really would like the agm to ban the opening of the pit gates after a false start and the riders should go straight back to the start unless a rider is being replaced or being put back 15 mtrs.  It is the delays between races and the time wasting at the start that need looking into and reducing. "

Ths should be top of the list at the AGM, I for one detest the waiting around while the riders in turn stand around chatting at the pit gate, they wouldn't lke it if they were kept waiting while members of the public returned to their viewing postition after having visited the loo, track shop, food outlet, etc.  After an unsatisfactory start, no tape breaking, no falls, all four back, riders should be given one minute ((you have one minute)) to line up again at the tapes once more or be put on 15m handicap or excluded.  A speedway bike can easily do 30m + 4 laps on a tank of fuel so the only exceptions should be, after consulting with the clerk of the course or machine examiner, if something is dangerously wrong with a bike  e.g. loose or too tight chains or if a component has worked loose then, and only then, mechanics allowed onto the track to retify the fault, if a rider realises he has the wrong set up or is on the wrong bike, too bad....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Red Flag said:

Yes, it was over 15 or 16 heats with a final

Yep, I can remember the final.

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Most of that for Tai though, especially with his meet and greet. 

Maybe some but I don’t think he made a noticeable difference to the crowd , it was on par with a league meeting 

21 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

" I really would like the agm to ban the opening of the pit gates after a false start and the riders should go straight back to the start unless a rider is being replaced or being put back 15 mtrs.  It is the delays between races and the time wasting at the start that need looking into and reducing. "

Ths should be top of the list at the AGM, I for one detest the waiting around while the riders in turn stand around chatting at the pit gate, they wouldn't lke it if they were kept waiting while members of the public returned to their viewing postition after having visited the loo, track shop, food outlet, etc.  After an unsatisfactory start, no tape breaking, no falls, all four back, riders should be given one minute ((you have one minute)) to line up again at the tapes once more or be put on 15m handicap or excluded.  A speedway bike can easily do 30m + 4 laps on a tank of fuel so the only exceptions should be, after consulting with the clerk of the course or machine examiner, if something is dangerously wrong with a bike  e.g. loose or too tight chains or if a component has worked loose then, and only then, mechanics allowed onto the track to retify the fault, if a rider realises he has the wrong set up or is on the wrong bike, too bad....

Opening or closing pit gates is irrelevant . All it needs is for the ref to put two minutes on immediately. If he does that ( which to ne fair many of them do), it doesn't matter whether the rider stays on the track, phones his girlfriend , or goes off and powders his nose, he still has to be back on the start in two minutes, which is hardly a massive delay.

Forgot to include: or a puncture.  Either way, stop the messing about and get on with it.  At Hull, Craven Park, there was very strict 10pm curfew, literally NIMBY people would stand outside straining to hear the speedway from afare poised and ready to make a complaint at dead-on 10PM, yet we got through double headers in good time.  Friends living 2 streets away often never heard the bikes but one man complained he'd been hit by stone from speedway, despite living 2 miles away.  Don't recall, and am unable to check at the mo, whether it meant an earlier 7PM start, but double headers were completed, but these days it may be a struggle.  I miss Hull Speedway....

Something on Monday night that was tried by a few riders was the Anlas tyre (sponsor of GPs) rubbish was the verdict and went back on mitas after 1race 

7 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Opening or closing pit gates is irrelevant . All it needs is for the ref to put two minutes on immediately. If he does that ( which to ne fair many of them do), it doesn't matter whether the rider stays on the track, phones his girlfriend , or goes off and powders his nose, he still has to be back on the start in two minutes, which is hardly a massive delay.

Often the ref does not put the two mins warning on the instant there is a tape offence.  Also just because there is a two min warning the ref can start the race at any time providing all four riders are at the start line, it does not have to be two mins, which would speed up the meeting.  A ref should have a one min warning, or less, for a restart following a tape offence. 

3 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Often the ref does not put the two mins warning on the instant there is a tape offence.  Also just because there is a two min warning the ref can start the race at any time providing all four riders are at the start line, it does not have to be two mins, which would speed up the meeting.  A ref should have a one min warning, or less, for a restart following a tape offence. 

I can see the logic of a one minute warning even though personally, I think it's a bit harsh.

My point though, is that the issue is not whether the pit gate is opened or closed, it's a matter of having a fixed time interval in which the riders have to be back at the tapes.

We just need to adopt the Polish system with the two minute clock. The 2 minutes is activated and the riders have to be ready to start the race before it gets to zero.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Most of that for Tai though, especially with his meet and greet. 

:shock:

Surely not? Top riders don't bring in the crowds do they?

'I just need to see 4 blokes on bikes going round in circles to part with my cash' :rofl:

Edited by The Weasel

6 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Maybe some but I don’t think he made a noticeable difference to the crowd , it was on par with a league meeting 

From comments across social media many were attending solely because of Tai being there.

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

From comments across social media many were attending solely because of Tai being there.

Maybe they were there to stock up on candles as Xmas presents 

• Haha 2

On 10/23/2018 at 12:09 PM, A ORLOV said:

Very unlikely that they will return, many last year and this have mentioned that they are fed up with pointless delays and meetings taking too long to run, especially early and late in the season when the weather is not good.  2 hours 15 minutes is not as bad as some meetings but when it is cold people want the meeting run as quickly as possible.  If the club wants people to stay then they should put on a second half so that those that want to can leave after the main meeting.  This season has been better than last year at Swindon where most meetings are over within 2 hours where last year they dragged on.  I really would like the agm to ban the opening of the pit gates after a false start and the riders should go straight back to the start unless a rider is being replaced or being put back 15 mtrs.  It is the delays between races and the time wasting at the start that need looking into and reducing.

9 hours ago, martinmauger said:

The pi$$ing about and the 'interval' (spend your money folks at the track shop, bar or burger van) was what finished me attending in person. Having to be up at 03.30am for work didn't help either but I did persevere until the planned delays got to a ridiculous level.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

The pi$$ing about and the 'interval' (spend your money folks at the track shop, bar or burger van) was what finished me attending in person. Having to be up at 03.30am for work didn't help either but I did persevere until the planned delays got to a ridiculous level.

The 2017 season was one of the worst with all the recalls due to false starts etc, 2018 was not as bad and some meetings did finish within 2 hours but others went on and on, and Blunsdon can sometimes be very cold.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

The 2017 season was one of the worst with all the recalls due to false starts etc, 2018 was not as bad and some meetings did finish within 2 hours but others went on and on, and Blunsdon can sometimes be very cold.

Not half:D

That's why they call it the Cold Harbour.

Edited by Wolfsbane