British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

Trust me, I understand the embarrassment of taking a friend to a crappy greyhound stadium with a far from ideal speedway track compromised by it being inside a dog track. When Belle Vue had their stadium demolished we had no choice but the dog track was a showpiece stadium for the gra and the track PC helped to design was a fine example of a compromised track. Sadly the gra left the stadium to rot, (even demolishing one side due to it falling unsafe) to the point where it became as bad as wolves! (the 'stadium', not the track)

That didn't stop me taking friends. I've no idea how many people I introduced to speedway at Belle Vue over the years but I do know only one, yes just one, has become a supporter, and he doesn't go every week! So I do understand your difficulty.

BUT, just think about it for a moment, if every fan managed to replicate my pathetic attempts to bolster the crowds at Belle Vue and only manage to introduce one new fan, the fanbase would be DOUBLED!!

Surely you wolves fans can at least manage that? It doesn't matter how crap your stadium and track is at least try, like I said just do your best.

The track may not be the everyone's cup of tea but i don't think there is much wrong with the stadium. Personally i have enjoyed my trips to Monmore and hope to continue to do so. 

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

Trust me, I understand the embarrassment of taking a friend to a crappy greyhound stadium with a far from ideal speedway track compromised by it being inside a dog track. When Belle Vue had their stadium demolished we had no choice but the dog track was a showpiece stadium for the gra and the track PC helped to design was a fine example of a compromised track. Sadly the gra left the stadium to rot, (even demolishing one side due to it falling unsafe) to the point where it became as bad as wolves! (the 'stadium', not the track)

That didn't stop me taking friends. I've no idea how many people I introduced to speedway at Belle Vue over the years but I do know only one, yes just one, has become a supporter, and he doesn't go every week! So I do understand your difficulty.

BUT, just think about it for a moment, if every fan managed to replicate my pathetic attempts to bolster the crowds at Belle Vue and only manage to introduce one new fan, the fanbase would be DOUBLED!!

Surely you wolves fans can at least manage that? It doesn't matter how crap your stadium and track is at least try, like I said just do your best.

To be honest you know nothing about Wolves finances, which were boosted by another semi-final and grand final appearance aswell as the home leg of the KO cup final at the end of last season. You are adding 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. The decision to go with Jacob as our number 1 was mainly to do with averages as we wanted to keep the core of the team as stable as possible although admittedly a little bit to do with the uncertainty over the BT tv deal.Had we gone with Freddie and his average the rest of the team would have been compromised.

Also I did my bit last season, took a friend with me midway through last season and he didn't miss a home meeting after that, regularly taking his family with him

Edited by Call me wolfie
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

Okay?

Bloody hell that was so long ago I swear I could see Charlie Chaplin walking across the center green.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

To be honest you know nothing about Wolves finances, which were boosted by another semi-final and grand final appearance aswell as the home leg of the KO cup final at the end of last season. You are adding 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. The decision to go with Jacob as our number 1 was mainly to do with averages as we wanted to keep the core of the team as stable as possible although admittedly a little bit to do with the uncertainty over the BT tv deal.Had we gone with Freddie and his average the rest of the team would have been compromised.

Also I did my bit last season, took a friend with me midway through last season and he didn't miss a home meeting after that, regularly taking his family with him

Best ignore Flange, he trolls every Wolves thread with bile and nonsense. I've lost count the amount of people I've taken along to watch racing at Monmore.

Peter Adams is right, and that goes for every track and every supporter. The product we have is as superb as it's always been. I'm a proud supporter of British Speedway and I love showing newbies what it's all about.

Sadly however those that run our sport are ensuring they cipher more and more of the last standing fan brigade with totally ambiguous sets of rules that change at will. We almost have to drag as many as possible to make up for those true fans who say enough is enough. Sad really. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Best ignore Flange, he trolls every Wolves thread with bile and nonsense. I've lost count the amount of people I've taken along to watch racing at Monmore.

Peter Adams is right, and that goes for every track and every supporter. The product we have is as superb as it's always been. I'm a proud supporter of British Speedway and I love showing newbies what it's all about.

Sadly however those that run our sport are ensuring they cipher more and more of the last standing fan brigade with totally ambiguous sets of rules that change at will. We almost have to drag as many as possible to make up for those true fans who say enough is enough. Sad really. 

This is another problem we have, the dedicated speedway devotees who tell the world we have such a fantastic product, when by enlarge we don't.  It must amaze you reading Laura Morgan's feature in the Speedway Star 3 weeks ago how Workington  benefited from 300 hundred people getting free admission only for that number to halve the following week when it was a tenner and then revert to nothing when it was full price a week later. Everything is not the BSPA's fault as some would like you to believe

1 hour ago, New Science said:

This is another problem we have, the dedicated speedway devotees who tell the world we have such a fantastic product, when by enlarge we don't.  It must amaze you reading Laura Morgan's feature in the Speedway Star 3 weeks ago how Workington  benefited from 300 hundred people getting free admission only for that number to halve the following week when it was a tenner and then revert to nothing when it was full price a week later. Everything is not the BSPA's fault as some would like you to believe

I'm not saying everything is the BSPA's fault. It carries a large chunk of the problem tho. The general reason why regulars stop attending is the constant rule changing and blatant attempts at trying to bend the rules because the rules are so poorly written and of course along with such things as price  double points etc.

I'd disagree however that we don't have a fantastic product. Speedway without the politics is still as raw and exciting a sport to watch as it's always been. But how we get it away from being a niche sport is a different animal. 

On 09/04/2018 at 1:05 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Bloody hell that was so long ago I swear I could see Charlie Chaplin walking across the center green.

Nope, that was Muddlo and Scot Autrey. :)

On 09/04/2018 at 12:36 PM, Call me wolfie said:

Fred is the ultimate troll, especially when it comes to Wolves but in his comments about Lindgren/Thorssell he is 100% spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Fred is the ultimate troll, especially when it comes to Wolves but in his comments about Lindgren/Thorssell he is 100% spot on.

Bwitcher,  dont get get me wrong, im as devastated as you that we dont have Freddie this year, i really think from the form hes shown so far hes going to have a great year. However looking at he bigger picture had we gone for him over Jacob then either Sam or Rory aswell as Jacob would have to have gone which would have ripped the guts out of our team. If Jacob can get over his injury he has more than enough talent to be in the top 4 average wise.

Edited by Call me wolfie

3 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Bwitcher,  dont get get me wrong, im as devastated as you that we dont have Freddie this year, i really think from the form hes shown so far hes going to have a great year. However looking at he bigger picture had we gone for him over Jacob then either Sam or Rory aswell as Jacob would have to have gone which would have ripped the guts out of our team. If Jacob can get over his injury he has more than enough talent to be in the top 4 average wise.

Looking at the bigger picture we have a No 1 who has never ridden as a heat leader.. It's a recipe for complete disaster.

The last time we thrust someone into the No 1 position who wasn't ready was 2008 with Lindgren. He had spent a full year at No 5, so ahead of where Thorssell is now.

We were shocking.

Are you honestly suggesting Thorssell will be in the top 4 of the league averages????

Edited to add: I would love Thorsell to prove me wrong and I truly hope he does. If so, I'll be the first to say I was wrong!

Edited by BWitcher

Another point...

Leaving Lindgren out and keeping Thorssell will do only one thing to crowds.. drop them even lower, so the financial savings may not even be there.

I'd rather see what Jacob can bring to the table before writing him off. 

I fully expect him to be in the top 6 end of year averages. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes if he can get over his injury he is more than capable, just my opinion of course. I also respect your opinion, I guess time will tell. If I am wrong I will be the first one to say so. As regards your second point, thats why i believe it was more to do with averages and team building. If it's not working out there is the possibility of bringing in Tai or Pawlicki

9 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I'd rather see what Jacob can bring to the table before writing him off. 

I fully expect him to be in the top 6 end of year averages. 

I would expect Jacob to be the top five. He should finish with a higher average than Morris & Clegg!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3