British Speedway Forum
sussex bulldog

Eagles V Kings - Play Off Semi Finals Part 2 07/10/2017

Nerves will be jangling at Arlington Stadium on Saturday (September 7) night as the Eastbourne IT First Eagles battle to reach the final of speedway’s National League Play Offs.

The shoot-out against Kent begins with the home side two points down after the first leg of the semi-final on Monday at Central Park, Sittingbourne.

The winners will go on to meet either Lakeside or Belle Vue Colts to decide which club becomes league champions.

A big crowd is expected to watch the match which is truly in the balance.

The Eagles have given themselves a great chance by losing the first leg by only two points but are only too well aware that Kent pummelled them 49-40 on their home track in mid September.

They are doubly cautious because top rider Jake Knight has been banned from the match after missing the National League Riders’ Championship because he had no bike to use.

It means the club will be forced to cover his programmed rides by using the rider replacement rule. All members of the team are eligible to take a ride, including new No 1 Josh Bailey.

Eastbourne team manager, Connor Dugard, believes his team will rise to the occasion, just as they did at Kent on Monday.

“The boys did a great job there,” he said.

“The tie is at the halfway stage. We are ready and and are looking for a big crowd to get behind the boys and cheer us to victory.

“We need that Arlington wall of sound.”

Eastbourne: Josh Bailey, Charley Powell, Jake Knight R/R, Tom Brennan, Georgie Wood, Drew Kemp, Mattie Bates, Jason Edwards (No 8).

Kent: Luke Bowen, Dan Greenwood, Ben Hopwood, George Hunter, Jack Thomas, Bradley Andrews, Anders Rowe.

The action begins at 7.30pm.

*The Eagles final match of the regular league season at Cradley has been scheduled for October 16.

Edited by David J Cox

Has everyone seen, no Mattie Bates but Jason at no8. Seems another loophole found by Connor which expect will mean Jason taking all of Mattie's rides.

Has everyone seen, no Mattie Bates but Jason at no8. Seems another loophole found by Connor which expect will mean Jason taking all of Mattie's rides.

I think Mattie's name not being there is just a misprint because number 8's can't take reserve switches only rider replacemant rides. Edited by eaglesno1

Well spotted. Mattie does indeed ride at number 7.

Let's hope the weather behaves itself. Yet another Saturday with rain in the forecast!

Both BBC and Met Office say rain during day but ok from about 6pm onwards, so should be all systems go.

I would normally feel pretty calm about this but after Kent turned us over last time, I am a bit twitchy. However, lightning rarely strikes twice and I think we will win by around 8 or so.

Partly depends on if the track can be prepared the way we like it or if the rain prepares it for us.

The rentaguest Eagles should have no trouble progressing sadly.

One guest in main team and hopefully you're correct with your predictions.

sudden change in weather forecast , 2 hrs ago said showers from 9 am till 5 pm , now it says only showers around 7am.

Always good to get the excuses out early I spose

One guest in main team and hopefully you're correct with your predictions.

We don't have any guests in the main team do we?

Well he said main team which I always take as 1 -5 but yeh, I think you are probably right.

Either way, I hardly think you could say we are where we are due to guest selections, even if the Charlie Saunders thing does confused us all! Especially as he did ad good a job as any have when he did ride for us

Always good to get the excuses out early I spose

We don't have any guests in the main team do we?

I'm a Rye House fan, I don't care.