British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

Bv Vs Lakeside Play-off Semi Leg 2

I accept what you say Hunter but the bottom line is still the same. If a rider is allowed to miss fixtures because of "lack of equipment" then you can be sure that more and more riders will jump onto the same bandwagon. I sympathize with Jake Knight to some degree but there is the need to have a hard and fast rule and for it to be enforced every time - which isn't the case at the moment.

• Like 1

I accept what you say Hunter but the bottom line is still the same. If a rider is allowed to miss fixtures because of "lack of equipment" then you can be sure that more and more riders will jump onto the same bandwagon. I sympathize with Jake Knight to some degree but there is the need to have a hard and fast rule and for it to be enforced every time - which isn't the case at the moment.

Bit of course a rider can miss an NL fixture due to equipment issues - just not this particular meeting

I'm not certain whether or not we at Lakeside broke the rules when we brought in Paul Hurry, but we absolutely trampled all over the spirit of what the NL is supposed to be about. I'm not having a go at Paul, who seems a decent enough gentleman, I just feel it wasn't right bringing in someone of that age into what is essentially a league to develop young talent. My highlight of the season was seeing Jason Edwards make his debut.

Regarding the play off, Belle Vue do indeed have some terrific kids in their side and I'm very pleased for them that they've done so well. The R/R they used may or may not have been a wangle, but so too was ours with the sudden unavailability of our weakest rider. In the end, the best team deservedly won.

As someone who wasn't keen on watching Lakeside in the NL, when Paul Hurry was brought in I was encouraged to go along, albeit only a few times - especially as he was replacing David Mason, whom I wouldn't cross the road to watch. I do agree that the league is there to bring on young riders, but just one old-timer in the team can surely be a benefit (Jon Armstrong, another example).

• Like 1

As someone who wasn't keen on watching Lakeside in the NL, when Paul Hurry was brought in I was encouraged to go along, albeit only a few times - especially as he was replacing David Mason, whom I wouldn't cross the road to watch. I do agree that the league is there to bring on young riders, but just one old-timer in the team can surely be a benefit (Jon Armstrong, another example).

I agree there. A lot of young riders are incredibly naive on things like set ups and having an experienced rider in the team who is out there riding in the same track conditions can bring a lot of benefit to the younger riders and in turn the fans who want to see competitive racing as much as reasonably practicable, not someone trailing round the back because his set ups are all wrong ( although that happens enough anyway) .

It should be a young riders league but there is a place for the Paul Hurrys and Jon Armstrongs, to being experience in. Not sure about David Mason though

David Mason offers nothing i would seriously consider not going down the Brummies if we re signed him.. In my opinion the worst signing we made since 2007 when we reformed ..give me a wobbler who cares/tries over him any day..

• Like 1

As I said, I have nothing against Paul Hurry as an individual. Indeed, his team riding (a forgotten art) has been a pleasure to watch at times. Jon Armstrong too seems a really lovely guy from the brief chat I had with him at the last meeting. Having said that, their knowledge and advice can be passed on to the youngsters without them actually being in the team. Isn't that why Kelvin Tatum was the team manager in the first place?

Just a personal preference I guess. I'd rather younger riders were given more opportunities. Of course, finding enough of said riders to fill a team could be a whole different story, and may well be an additional reason to keep the elder statesmen in the league. As long as they're not depriving a youngster of a place I'm okay with them riding. If however, youngsters are missing out to fit in the veterans, then I feel that is completely antithetical to the purpose of the league.

I think most have a similar view on this subject namely that the NL is a developing league however development occurs at various levels & time frames.

The main thing i have always been an advocate of is that if you are good enough you will get a team place rather than the approach that is creeping in where you have to be young enough to get a team place. Ive long felt that 16 should be the minimum riding age (but that is a separate issue).

The main issue is the gambles many promoters are taking hoping any 15/16 year old will be the next big thing rather than awarding places to those who are ready & allowing the others to develop elsewhere a little longer (although with the terrible demise of the Development Leagues elsewhere opportunities are limited).

I think that the National League lost its "Development" aspect some years ago. It is now, in my view quite properly, a third division which

happens to be the level at which new young riders can find team places to learn their trade, but not there solely for that purpose. I went to

Kent on Monday to see Ben Morley and Paul Hurry in the Laurels meeting. I was not disappointed as the racing was unbelievable with

our two right in it to the finish. There were a few younger riders who did reasonably, but the fact that the older riders were putting on a superb

display did not make me wish to reduce their numbers in the league. Bring 'em all on I say

• Like 5

You have got to remember that this is team speedway and that the promoters need fans through the gate to keep the club running.

Its a known fact that winning teams attract better crowds what ever league you are in so if a team needs a heat leader and a older rider fits the bill a promoter will sign him up.So that he can field a competitive team.I am all for bringing on youngsters but if a team fields a young inexperienced rider instead of an older heat leader and the team loses most meetings a lot of the fans will drop off and the club could even fold.So in the long run and older rider could be better for the other 6 younger riders in the team by keeping the team winning and the fans turning up and keep the club ticking over.

We need all the clubs to keep running the more clubs the more places for young riders to develop so if a few teams need older riders to field a competitive team I have no problem with it at all.

long winded but I hope I have got my point across.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 3

Yes BV72, very well said. At present the National League as a whole seems to be a reasonable mix of experience and newcomers. It is

one of the reasons I enjoy it so much, watching the kids progress as they try to emulate the more experienced riders in their team. Having

said that, Lakeside were using kids with not enough potential talent, so none of them progressed into exciting performers. Plenty of other teams

seemed to find better kids and it is one of the few complaints I had about the club.

• Like 1

Any one know what happened to Connor lock wnen Jason Edwards came in ,i thought either of the other two tail enders would have got the chop first?