British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

Bv Vs Lakeside Play-off Semi Leg 2

To be fair last year we got beat twice at home and a lot of the meetings were much closer I just think that we have a bloody good team this year.Who of course all ride our track very well.

The track is also prepared similar to the 'first team' in that there is always plenty of grip...

Many NL tracks are prepared very slick (even non stand alone ones)...

Maybe the amount of dirt down and the speeds achieved intimidates a few of those who only see it once or twice a year?

It might help you win home matches through bike set up but it won't really help your long term development riding on 'blue groove' tracks each week I would say..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

To be fair last year we got beat twice at home and a lot of the meetings were much closer I just think that we have a bloody good team this year.Who of course all ride our track very well.

That is undeniably true.

The track is also prepared similar to the 'first team' in that there is always plenty of grip...

Many NL tracks are prepared very slick (even non stand alone ones)...

Maybe the amount of dirt down and the speeds achieved intimidates a few of those who only see it once or twice a year?

It might help you win home matches through bike set up but it won't really help your long term development riding on 'blue groove' tracks each week I would say..

I think its more to do with the size and shape. Quite simply, NSS is substantially about speed and for that you need a powerful motor. Most of the top boys have them, which makes it such a brilliant track for Premiership racing. The NL lads (excepting the Colts) do not and consequently there is a significant advantage at that level for the home side.

Having said that, I still didn't expect the Colts to win by such a margin. I am happy they did, though, because the thought of Lakeside's crooked team winning anything would have been hard to stomach and yet more damage to credibility of British Speedway in general and the NL in particular.

When are the Colts planning on running their home leg of the final? With both the Aces & Colts still in KOC action there looks a bit of a fixture pile up.

11th Aces KOC Final

13th Colts KOC Semi

18th & 20th Reserved for Colts playoff final/KOC final

That is undeniably true.

I think its more to do with the size and shape. Quite simply, NSS is substantially about speed and for that you need a powerful motor. Most of the top boys have them, which makes it such a brilliant track for Premiership racing. The NL lads (excepting the Colts) do not and consequently there is a significant advantage at that level for the home side.

Having said that, I still didn't expect the Colts to win by such a margin. I am happy they did, though, because the thought of Lakeside's crooked team winning anything would have been hard to stomach and yet more damage to credibility of British Speedway in general and the NL in particular.

Get fed up of al the comments that you need a powerful engine, that is not fully true. The likes of Mellish, Woodhull, Bickley etc wont have engines any more powerful then the Lakeside team. It does take skill to ride fast. The problem is that most British young riders are brought up on small tracks and then struggle on the big fast tracks as we often see when they go to Poland.

• Like 1

11th Aces KOC Final

13th Colts KOC Semi

18th & 20th Reserved for Colts playoff final/KOC final

Get fed up of al the comments that you need a powerful engine, that is not fully true. The likes of Mellish, Woodhull, Bickley etc wont have engines any more powerful then the Lakeside team. It does take skill to ride fast. The problem is that most British young riders are brought up on small tracks and then struggle on the big fast tracks as we often see when they go to Poland.

Its not the whole story because the Colts have a very talented young team and that certainly shouldn't be overshadowed by any home track advantage they might have. After all, they did pretty well away, too.

But I'd maintain that the Colts lads have motors that are set up for NSS and the others simply do not have means to produce the sort of power and speed necessary.

With the greatest of respect to Andy Mellish, its hard to accept that he has more skills in riding fast than Ben Morley, Paul Hurry, Max Clegg or any of the other NL's top riders who have struggled at NSS this season.

Very pleased about the dates because I should be able to make them all.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I have to agree. The IOW is a big fast track, yet I don't see many away riders struggling there.

The main reason is the Colts are a very good team and riding at home only serves to highten that.

We lost at Lakeside by 8 when Dan only scored 6. There was a last heat decider at Mildenhall that we lost by 4.

Apart from those we have only lost when fielding under strength teams.

The only reason we don't win away by more is the inexperience of the young lads in our team and the fact they have to get use to the quirks of those track. They have ironed out any quirks at the NSS due to the fact they ride there regularly. I think at this level differences in home and away performances are heightened by the riders inexperience.

Edited by ouch
  • Like 1

Belle Vue Colts are like the Exeter Falcons of the old National League except they can ride well away too.

Don't know of the national stadium holds the same fear factor as the old county ground did but it does make you wonder sometimes if certain riders are beaten before a wheel is turned.

In truth , they had 3 experienced riders in the heat leader spot..... and they definitely did not do their job last night.

Alfie Bowtell is talented but oscillates between a good night and a poor night.

the bottom 3 are all 3 point men who struggled around the NSS.

As long as the Colts continue their youth policy and we end up with bringing on British talent then trophies are an absolute bonus.

Well done George Carswell for setting up this team

• Like 6

Belle Vue Colts are like the Exeter Falcons of the old National League except they can ride well away too.

Don't know of the national stadium holds the same fear factor as the old county ground did but it does make you wonder sometimes if certain riders are beaten before a wheel is turned.

The Colts are nothing like the old Exeter, as you say, they can ride away as well (both Colts and Aces) There is no comparison between the two tracks; Exeter was dangerous with the surface and the steel fence. The number of riders who would miss a trip to Exeter or score way below their average seems to suggest it. However, the number of riders who say how wonderful it is to ride at the NSS proves that there is no fear factor.

Totally agree about George, he put a lot of work in last year and during the winter to build this team. He is missed.

• Like 2

I forgot about that steel fence, seems a world away now.

Is it true that neither Jon Cook or Kelvin Tatum were present last night and that the clubs commercial manager was in charge? I mean WTF, this is a play off semi final.

I forgot about that steel fence, seems a world away now.

Is it true that neither Jon Cook or Kelvin Tatum were present last night and that the clubs commercial manager was in charge? I mean WTF, this is a play off semi final.

Who said Cook wasnt there? Very poor if thats true.

Well what is the truth then ,,we should know/???

Yep. Tatum or cook was not there.

Yep. Tatum or cook was not there.

Didnt expect Tatum to be there so Cook should have taken his place as team manager. Maybe they could have just raffles off the chance to be manager lol.

I believe the guy who was managing the team tonight has the licence to do the job so why not let the fans know he is the assistant team manager,,.Tatum is a busy man ,but Cook seems to have little interest at this level,,deflating for the riders ...