British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Melbourne Gp Saturday 28th October 2017

Wasn’t the Melbourne GP sold on the premise that people would go to watch events in the Ethiad regardless of what sport was on?

WELL, over 20,000 did and according to NP that was more than watched Australia v England in the rugby league World Cup the previous night in the same city.

There was undoubtedly a firm hope that a SGP at the Etihad would attract non-speedway fans, and it has, but we have to be realistic about the attendance figures speedway can attract anywhere outside of Cardiff and Warsaw these days.

And even you, surely, cannot deny that the distances involved in travelling around Australia are a factor.

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing the Aussie win and I don't think I've uttered those words before, can't help but admire Doyle for coming back the way he has, clearly made of tough stuff.

This ^^. As with Crump in 2003, Doyle's huge misfortune in 2016 certainly tested whether he still had the desire. We all saw the answer to that one. Very well done to him....

WELL, over 20,000 did and according to NP that was more than watched Australia v England in the rugby league World Cup the previous night in the same city.

Well that's not saying that much. NRL attendances are struggling, Melbourne isn't a traditional 'rugby league city' and the World Cup format is such that the opening games are pretty much a waste of time.

And even you, surely, cannot deny that the distances involved in travelling around Australia are a factor.

Plenty of budget airlines offering regular and cheap flights to Melbourne, and Adelaide and Sydney are within drivable radiuses, which I'd think would encompass many of the active speedway tracks these days. I'd agree there's probably only a relative handful of regular speedway fans in Australia nowadays, but all the more reason to try to attract the Melbourne locals.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

I should just like to congratulate Jason Doyle on not only becoming World Champion but also in the manner of his attitude after doing so. Usually after achieving the ultimate accolade riders don't have the desire to continue and just trail around like novices to fulfill their rides. Even the mighty Jason Crump and Greg Hancock eased back after winning their crowns. I was very impressed this time however and again many congratulations to a former Leicester Lion.

• Like 3

Tai letting people know hes English

We know he's English but we want him to race for Aus, where his heart is, no probs then...

a piss poor grand prix and a mediocre world champion(yes I know he can only beat whats up against him)...if people enjoyed watching that then good luck to them, I'm hearing there was 19000 in the stadium, so how many actual paying punters?...the tv coverage made the sport look shocking with vast parts of the stadium completely empty.

Maybe its just me and my love affair with the sport is all but finished but surely even the most rose tinted glassed fan must admit as a spectacle it was dire?

Congratulations to Jason, Patryk and Tai and also Bartosz for yesterday, all well deserved places IMO. Commiserations to "the wee Dude" on his ef in the final

Edited by Gr8scot

I noticed there were mostly elderly people in attendance at the Ethiad - and it did not come across as if they had a lot of fun during the most part of this meeting - it all looked rather dull

They should have let children in for free and youths under16 for a fiver or so, to get the families to attend and liven the place up for this speedway Showcase event. Too late now !

Nevertehless it is sad to see that Grand Prix Speedway in Melbourne did not attract the crowds to continue with this venture.

For the future, if they want to return to Australia & NZ, I'd say that they should not do it for just one event, they should run a mini series of three or four SGPs down under.

Don't make the mistake of going into the biggest stadia such as Sydney Olympic Stadium or now the Ethiad in Melbourne. This does not work. SGP should seek medium sized stadia, perhaps return to some of those classic old Showground venues that had so long been the cathedrals of Australian speedway, ever since it all began there.

There are still some of these venues left, some even have national heritage status and are preserved, such as the EKKA up in Brisbane, just waitign to be used again. There is Adelaide's Wayvielle Showground, which hosted a world sicdecar speedway Championship meeting some years ago. In Sydney, they have built a New Showground that could be used for a SGP, as they have already held an Australian Solo Championship round there. They could widen the rather narrow race track for a SGP there if need be.

That's three great speedway venues in Australia, and I am sure there are other possibilities, but I see this as the way to go for the BSI/IMG to establish the SGP outside of Europe.

• Like 1

Doyle now needs to sit down over the winter and write the book about his transformation from speedway journeyman to - As Good As It Gets on track. That How To manual would be priceless for several young British riders who fancy their chances.

And behind every Champion sportsman there is a Great Woman - Take a bow Emily.

Oops - to spare my own blushes I should have added "there is almost always " a great Woman. But I acknowledge that preference of different partners is now more common. Although there are no outwardly gay speedway riders at present. Or any claiming any of the other gender choices becoming common nowadays.

There are still some of these venues left, some even have national heritage status and are preserved, such as the EKKA up in Brisbane, just waitign to be used again. There is Adelaide's Wayvielle Showground, which hosted a world sicdecar speedway Championship meeting some years ago. In Sydney, they have built a New Showground that could be used for a SGP, as they have already held an Australian Solo Championship round there. They could widen the rather narrow race track for a SGP there if need be.

As I mentioned, I dont think its possible to stage motorsport at the Ekka anymore, as its surrounded by residential property now (I live not far away). Great venue though.

Archerfield is a purpose built speedway and could potentially host a GP, but I dont think its staged bikes for ages and is way out of town in an area with nothing for the fans. North Brisbane is a very basic circuit, although close to the airport.

The New Sydney Showground is potentially the most optimal venue for an Australian GP, but is now the home of an AFL team. So any GP would have to be in October, and not sure how easy it would be to reconfigure the playing area.

a piss poor grand prix and a mediocre world champion(yes I know he can only beat whats up against him)...if people enjoyed watching that then good luck to them, I'm hearing there was 19000 in the stadium, so how many actual paying punters?...the tv coverage made the sport look shocking with vast parts of the stadium completely empty.

Maybe its just me and my love affair with the sport is all but finished but surely even the most rose tinted glassed fan must admit as a spectacle it was dire?

It is just you. You’re disrespectful & deluded, just stop watching.

• Like 2

Or maybe the voice of reasoning, if you think last night was good and entertaining then maybe, just maybe the sport isn't as entertaining and as attractive to the outside world of the current fraternity as some like you believe it is.

ECHO that. Some excellent racing, terrific finale, worthy World Champion.

Or maybe the voice of reasoning, if you think last night was good and entertaining then maybe, just maybe the sport isn't as entertaining and as attractive to the outside world of the current fraternity as some like you believe it is.

You might have the voice of reason but you need to use eyes before speaking up.

Medicocre World Champion? You shot yourself in the foot with that pontification.