British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Melbourne Gp Saturday 28th October 2017

You might have the voice of reason but you need to use eyes before speaking up.

Medicocre World Champion? You shot yourself in the foot with that pontification.

Do you not think there should of been over twice as many in the stadium considering that the World Championship was all but done and that the champion would be a Aussie?

Regardless of whether he is deserving or not or a mediocre or great champ,what is the reaction in Australia to having a world champ crowned in their country?How has the media reported the meeting and Doyle being crowned at home?

Will it be a boost for the sport in Oz or make no difference really,rather like Hancock made no real impression in the States.But having a champ crowned in Oz must have made a headline or two in one paper or website????

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Yeah, was great to see a BRITISH rider singing the Australian national anthem!!!!!

So what? I've been singing it all day myself, too.

Didn't take long for all the old miserables to begin posting on here, did it?

Jason Doyle? A mediocre World Champ? For God's sake people. This was a great World Championship story. What a sniffy lot you all are.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 4

Jason Doyle? A mediocre World Champ? For God's sake people. This was a great World Championship story. What a sniffy lot you all are.

Whoever said that clearly remain clueless about speedway. He would have won last season had it not been for injury, so to follow that up this season and take it is far from mediocre.

• Like 3

Or maybe the voice of reasoning, if you think last night was good and entertaining then maybe, just maybe the sport isn't as entertaining and as attractive to the outside world of the current fraternity as some like you believe it is.

It wasnt a classic but it had a good amount of decent races, all be it from heat 9 onwards.

There was a crowd of 21k there which is decent by any standards and a great atmosphere which you could clearly hear (plus I was there last year I know it is loud and enthusiastic crowd.

To say JD is a mediocre world champion is just idiotic. Im glad that has been reinforced to you by many others on here too.

This series has been a great success despite a plethora of problems that have had to deal with. A few blips of course, Krsko was poor, Germany average and Gorzow not to the high standard weve come to expect. That aside a thoroughly entertaining series & worthy top 3 in the world. Bring on 2018

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 2

When I looked at the poor turnout, and when I see Cardiff half full, I do wonder how they come up with the price structure for tickets.

Tickets at half the price and better promotions gets people through the turnstiles. And what an atmosphere to go with it !

I can only assume that only the stadium owners get the profits from the increased sales of food, drink and souvenirs?

I was glad to watch it on my own, as frankly explaining to my mates why the stadium was empty, while crowning an Aussie world champ, would have been a tough ask !

• Like 2

When I looked at the poor turnout, and when I see Cardiff half full, I do wonder how they come up with the price structure for tickets.

Tickets at half the price and better promotions gets people through the turnstiles. And what an atmosphere to go with it !

I can only assume that only the stadium owners get the profits from the increased sales of food, drink and souvenirs?

I was glad to watch it on my own, as frankly explaining to my mates why the stadium was empty, while crowning an Aussie world champ, would have been a tough ask !

I wonder how much last nights boxing cost?On German tv they were saying although not as many as at Wembley there was an amazing atmosphere both in and outside Cardiff and that most had travelled from England!!! I was quite amazed really at the hype surrounding Joshua at this stage of his career.90,000 and now 80,000.But boxing is usually veeerrryyyy expensive!!!!

Then to rub it into the locals Michael Buffer announced Joshua as "The Pride of England"!!!! :P

Edited by iris123

WELL, over 20,000 did and according to NP that was more than watched Australia v England in the rugby league World Cup the previous night in the same city.

There was undoubtedly a firm hope that a SGP at the Etihad would attract non-speedway fans, and it has, but we have to be realistic about the attendance figures speedway can attract anywhere outside of Cardiff and Warsaw these days.

And even you, surely, cannot deny that the distances involved in travelling around Australia are a factor.

Official attendance for the rugby league game was 22000 and something, that was a dull affair as well with zero atmosphere as inwent to that too.

All the very best to our ex skipper Jason Doyle World Champion. Four years ago he and Cook were about level pegging, lets see how Cookie does next year.

Yip ,Cookie has got to live up to the hype he has created for himself.No excuses.!!
  • Like 1

He sung the GB national anthem at the SWC. What's your point Shovel.

Tai Woffinden didn't ride in the SWC this year

Agree 100% and before his fan boys start spouting on about turning the volume down, I did and HAD to as he was like a demented banshee. There's enthusiasm and then there's completely unprofessional and his ridiculous monkey noises very much falls into the latter of those two things.

Wouldn't go down this route you are risking a strong rebuke from Mr Rising.

Edited by New Science

a piss poor grand prix and a mediocre world champion(yes I know he can only beat whats up against him)...if people enjoyed watching that then good luck to them, I'm hearing there was 19000 in the stadium, so how many actual paying punters?...the tv coverage made the sport look shocking with vast parts of the stadium completely empty.

Maybe its just me and my love affair with the sport is all but finished but surely even the most rose tinted glassed fan must admit as a spectacle it was dire?

Ok, my diagnosis here is you don't know what love is! However I know Foreigner knows someone who can show you!

Alternative venue in Melbourne once the five year contract is up could well be AAMI Park, or the Rectangular Stadium currently preferred! 30.050 depending on seat planning and a much better contained atmosphere if full I'd well imagine.

Guest GiveusaB

I'm sure most speedway fans all agreed that this season was by far the strongest Grand Prix line-up for quite sometime ?

Obviously the injuries to Hancock/Lingdren weakened the field somewhat....but still.....

Doyle was awesome ! (even with a broken foot???)

I cant stand the big headed Aussies...but that's only because I'm jealous of their winning mentality, compared to us Brits!

To have a champion other than a Pole at the moment is no mean feat!

Doyle has come out on top against some great opposition!

He's done brilliantly imo......

Congrats to Tai for grabbing 3rd! Tai rode fantastic on Saturday!

Wouldn't go down this route you are risking a strong rebuke from Mr Rising.

EVERYONE'S entitled to their opinion. I watched via computer in the USA and, for the first time, had the world feed, non-stop Pearson and Tatum, no ad breaks, no studio, etc.

Brilliant stuff and Kelvin, suffering from (man) flu only just made it through until the end.

I think you know what I mean but for clarity 2016 SWC

Yip ,Cookie has got to live up to the hype he has created for himself.No excuses.!!

What hype, he's gonna realise his dream like that of most riders, let's see what he can do, go Cookie!!!