British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Wolves -v Belle Vue 10th/11th October Ko Cup Final

IMO this meeting should be call off until next season when both teams can put out a 1 to 7 of their own riders and not guests and RR.

Re Cook, there have been far, far too many short-term illnesses amongst riders, mostly linked to trips to Poland or scheduled trips to inconvenient fixtures. It is essential that the cases of those suffering are thoroughly investigated and that the safety of other riders is not compromised ;-)

I've never known a sport with so many short-term illnesses or miracle recoveries. Is it something in the methanol?

Congratulations to the BSPA for finally tackling this and hopefully improving the long-term health of their competitors.

I would suggest that for short-term illnesses and miracle recoveries, you cannot look much further than football, especially the expensive sector. Miracle recoveries seem to be hastened by the appearance of yellow or red cards,or the award of a penalty!!

I think you'll find they did it to Peterborough yesterday re. BWD, so not coincidental

Indeed.

Some Belle Vue fans feeling rules are only aimed to punish them. :rofl:

Back in the real world an Aces team of 5 home riders faces a team of 3 Wolves riders with iffy guests.

Aces can't lose this.

Sooner we dump competitions like this the better. I've yet to read any post anywhere that anyone is interested in this competition.

I'll have a look at the score later and be nonplussed whatever the result.

Imagine if every worker in the country got a "7 day don't come back to work penalty" for being ill one day...... the country would grind to a halt very quickly

Not all illnesses are contagious so that argument doesn't hold water either

As if the teams weren't decimated enough

• Like 1

Imagine if every worker in the country got a "7 day don't come back to work penalty" for being ill one day...... the country would grind to a halt very quickly

"one day"?

Indeed.

Back in the real world an Aces team of 5 home riders faces a team of 3 Wolves riders with iffy guests.

Aces can't lose this.

Sooner we dump competitions like this the better. I've yet to read any post anywhere that anyone is interested in this competition.

Dump it why? We have 2 trophys to go for and you want 1 dumped??

For me they need to make the final mid season and it would become much bigger again

They should start the season with the KO Cup and then run the Final around July..

Similar to the way the League Cup in Football breaks up the Season and gives two clear focal points.

One Final mid season and one Final at the end...

One team could even market themselves as 'going for a double' which can only enhance the possibility of attracting fans..

If there is any apathy towards the Competition having it at the start of the season would still mean good crowds looking to see their Speedway again after a long winter..

Ludicrous that it needs just 14 evenings to complete the competition and from April we haven't been able to get it finished much earlier to maintain interest...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Dump it why? We have 2 trophys to go for and you want 1 dumped??

For me they need to make the final mid season and it would become much bigger again

Why?

No one seems interested in this competition anymore.

They binned it years ago for this very reason and from what I hear from staging tracks they have been the poorest of the season.

Last week's first leg of the final was played out in front off a poor crowd im lead to believe.

It's a final........... no one seems to care.

Give it some meaning it might, just might be salvaged. Early season and run the final mid season. Just maybe.

IMO this meeting should be call off until next season when both teams can put out a 1 to 7 of their own riders and not guests and RR.

Totally agree. It has become a farce with an unrecognisable Wolves team. Creditably no longer exists as far as speedway is concerned and those whose hands the sport is in should hang their heads in shame. You have failed the supporters and the sport.

Totally agree. It has become a farce with an unrecognisable Wolves team. Creditably no longer exists as far as speedway is concerned and those whose hands the sport is in should hang their heads in shame. You have failed the supporters and the sport.

Apart from Cook, every other missing rider is injured. What do you expect the authorities to do about that ? The fixture has to be run this season, next season is utterly pointless.

• Like 1

My sister has exactly that clause in her work contract. Im sure plenty of others do too.

It makes sense, stops riders taking the piss and picking and choosing meetings.

Indeed.

Aces can't lose this.

NOTHING wrong with the competition ... it is the way it is organised (or rather not organised) that is the problem. The KO Cup Fin al used to attract the biggest crowds of the season. Have designated, firm dates for each round and ensure that the final is held before the end of August. It's not rocket science.

• Like 4

Apart from Cook, every other missing rider is injured. What do you expect the authorities to do about that ? The fixture has to be run this season, next season is utterly pointless.

Set realistic deadlines and not have it hanging on in the dying embers of the season. Fix deadlines for various rounds and stick to them of forfeit the fixture. It is down to the powers that be to run the sport and not allow things to drag on. I really don't get the excuses if on the basis of what you are saying it is rider availability. That excuse applies earlier in the season as it does now, so we can agree differ. Just a shame for the supporters to watch a good team look so poor because they cannot put out the best 1 to 7

NOTHING wrong with the competition ... it is the way it is organised (or rather not organised) that is the problem. The KO Cup Fin al used to attract the biggest crowds of the season. Have designated, firm dates for each round and ensure that the final is held before the end of August. It's not rocket science.

I remember a day when it was equally as important as winning the league.

I still maintain, do supporters really care for it anymore?

It's not just this competition that seriously needs addressing.

Get the fixture lists right for British Speedway and it might stand a chance.