Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Wolves -v Belle Vue 10th/11th October Ko Cup Final

Really, in the league meeting at the NSS on 24/7/17 Belle Vue won 53-40 both had full 1-7. In the league meeting at Wolves on 28/08/17, Wolves won 49-41, Wolves had their full 1-7, Belle Vue were without M Fricke. Aggregate score Belle Vue 94-89 Wolves, As Ace no 5 pointed out, 2 pretty evenly matched teams.

Yep 2 evenly matched teams , but why would they let a trivial thing like 'facts and figures' get in the way of their "Wolves win easily" argument ?

Not sure what you're getting at there? Wolves won the playoff semi 1st leg with a full team at Monmore by 13 points. They won the KoC Final 1st leg with guests at Monmore by 10 points... Not a massive difference. But of course both meetings were over 2 legs?

I was getting at the fact Wolves won by 13 and it would normally be more with Thorsell having a bad night and only scoring 5 on the night and crashing out in heat 14. Thorsell is usually fantastic at Monmore and would expect to get double figures against anyone.

Yep 2 evenly matched teams , but why would they let a trivial thing like 'facts and figures' get in the way of their "Wolves win easily" argument ?

Because the facts and figures chosen don't tell the whole story.

Well done to Belle Vue on their win and it seems the racing was top drawer. It's a shame there were so many guests and like the playoff final, it's a shame that Wolves top 2 riders were missing for such important matches.

I feel that if Wolves were at full strength, they would have had two trophies in their cabinet but it wasn't to be.

It's great to see Belle Vue getting some success after a very barren period for them andto support having the best stadium/track in the UK - bearing in mind that the team was put together at a late stage.

Roll on March and the new season.

• Like 2

Because the facts and figures chosen don't tell the whole story.

The facts, whatever the arguments about what may have been, are that Wolves beat us in the play off semi final and we beat them in the KO Cup final and on aggregate in the league meetings during the season. Everything else is conjecture.

Both sets of supporters can be proud of what their teams have achieved.

• Like 2

The facts, whatever the arguments about what may have been, are that Wolves beat us in the play off semi final and we beat them in the KO Cup final and on aggregate in the league meetings during the season. Everything else is conjecture.

Both sets of supporters can be proud of what their teams have achieved.

Exactly as i said before just my opinion.

All ifs buts & maybes.

I'd agree with the bulk of the Wolves fans who prior to the play off semi, when we were both at full strength said The Aces would win over two legs. They know their riders better than most.

Whoever won yesterday it was a bloody good meeting and if you get the opportunity of seeing clean cut sports dvd, grab it

Not quite sure how you reach the "Wolves would have won easily conclusion" after they beat us by 1 point over 2 legs in the playoff semi final when, for all intents and purposes, both teams were complete... 2 very evenly matched teams. Wolves were unlucky not to win anything this season, but had BV lost, we would have been the unlucky ones...

as has already been pointed out, Wolves started at full strength in the first leg but lost valuable points by Jacob being injured in heat 14 and unable to ride with a reserve replacing him.

ditto 2nd leg with Freddie unable to take his final 2 rides.

so Wolves most certainly were not at full strength.

I think it was stevebrum who pointed out that the aces won both league meetings on aggregate so he made us favourites for the play off semi.With both teams at full strength it would have been very close.The real winner last night was speedway,it was a great advert for the sport and a pity it wasn't on TV.

yes it was me and of course it was true.

Both sides pretty evenly matched however the Aces would have started favourites for both competitions because of them being the better side over 2 legs.

Not sure what you're getting at there? Wolves won the playoff semi 1st leg with a full team at Monmore by 13 points. They won the KoC Final 1st leg with guests at Monmore by 10 points... Not a massive difference. But of course both meetings were over 2 legs?

Wolves missed out on 1 maybe 2 rides from Jacob in the 1st leg. Wolves were not at full strength throughout the first leg.

Sport is sport and every meeting unfolds in a different way and we all have a different opinion.

Belle vue and Wolves were both very good teams this season and to me not much between them.

Both teams made changes both teams had injuries at different times which is the way speedway goes.

Wolves fans say if this had/not happened and belle vue say yes but this happened to us and if that had not happened etc.But what did happen is reality and the season ended up as it did end of.

I would as we all would have loved for us both to be at full strength throughout the whole season if only to stop all the what if what would have happened etc.

A lot of Wolves fans are saying that with full teams they would have won easily again I do not agree all about differing opinions not a fact in sight.

The only way to get a true fact of who was the better team over the season is to look at results over a full season.As I have said over the season as teams do we have both made changes and both had injuries at different times which is the way things go in sport.

But the facts are that the teams have met 4 times and 3 out of the 4 times Belle vue have beaten Wolves on aggregate.I will leave it up to you to decide which team ended up on top and with both teams hit with injury for the KOC final which team deserved it more over a full season.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

Well done to Belle Vue on their win and it seems the racing was top drawer. It's a shame there were so many guests and like the playoff final, it's a shame that Wolves top 2 riders were missing for such important matches.

I feel that if Wolves were at full strength, they would have had two trophies in their cabinet but it wasn't to be.

It's great to see Belle Vue getting some success after a very barren period for them andto support having the best stadium/track in the UK - bearing in mind that the team was put together at a late stage.

Roll on March and the new season.

Two very closely matched teams. As we are in the realms of conjecture here, I'd say that but for one awful refereeing decision which went against Kenneth Bjerre, Belle Vue would have done the double this season.

• Like 1

The old saying is that you can only beat what is put in front of you. The Aces deserved to win on Monday, no question. On the subject of the play off semi finals over the two legs, lady luck smiled on Wolves. In both legs, Rohan Tungate had two engine failures while on a 5-1, turning two 5-1's into 3-3's, a difference of some eight points. Over the two legs, that was the difference between the two teams, barring injuries which both teams suffered from.

Two very closely matched teams. As we are in the realms of conjecture here, I'd say that but for one awful refereeing decision which went against Kenneth Bjerre, Belle Vue would have done the double this season.

On that basis you could say Bewley was very lucky not to be excluded in heat 14 of the first leg after locking up and leaving Greaves no where to go. That would have been a 5-0 rather than a 3-2 and taking a 15 point lead to the nss rather than 11

On that basis you could say Bewley was very lucky not to be excluded in heat 14 of the first leg after locking up and leaving Greaves no where to go. That would have been a 5-0 rather than a 3-2 and taking a 15 point lead to the nss rather than 11

And Tungate shouldn't have been excluded in the same heat when Thorsell turned on him.

And Tungate shouldn't have been excluded in the same heat when Thorsell turned on him.

No I'm not having that one, for the 3rd time on the night, Mr Tippy Tumble totally lost control and ended up on his arse, even one of your ex riders, Scott Nicholls, who was there by the way, said Jacob was totally innocent