Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Wolves -v Belle Vue 10th/11th October Ko Cup Final

Not sure if that is the case for wildcards, he said last year he had to arrange his own shipping but he may have been a late call up last year

I'd assume it's because he isn't very popular.

He's no Woffy let's face it. :t:

Most ironic post of the year!

• Like 4

Most ironic post of the year!

You surprise me, Steve. Judging by some of your efforts down the years, I wasn't aware you did irony...
  • Like 3

I've a lot of time for Sam and he has a lot of time with what we are trying to achieve at the NSS.

I think all tracks should prepare the best race track for all riders to strut their stuff. It can bite you on the backside every now and then but the overall product makes these set back easier to take.

Tracks now are set up for the home lads off the start with a few tricks thrown in here and there. It almost guarantees a half decent team a win and often a good win but the racing on offer wouldn't prompt an upturn in attendance. In fact the opposite happens if they start losing as there is little else to keep the punters entertained and once lost they don't return.

Though it makes things hard for us I'm glad Sam and others enjoy coming here I just wish we could get the rest on board and push the sport forward again.

I wouldn't argue with much of that, though I don't necessarily agree that tracks are set up from the basic premise of home advantage. There is a distinct danger (of which you're doubtless aware) of coming across as just a tiny bit patronising. The NSS is, by its very title, almost morally obliged to provide the best possible racing experience and by all accounts has done so. We (by which I mean British speedway supporters) are very lucky indeed to have it.

The issue, of course, is that most British top-flight clubs don't have the blank sheet of paper to start with; they have dog tracks to work within or other parameters that restrict their efforts. While the premise is laudable, what one might term the reality is not always quite as straightforward.

I'm trusting that you take this post as the broadly (if not wholly) supportive stance for which I'm aiming and would be interested in your response.

Promoters for ever have known home wins keeps a crowd...

Great racing but constant defeats means huge losses and potential closure...

Hence all teams are built to deliver home wins first and foremost and the track will be delivered to suit the home team riders regardless of entertainment value generated...

Many Promoters don't even consider the entertainment side of the equation anyway, it is simply winning they aspire to...

Hardly anyone goes away to watch their team therefore how they perform away is very much a secondary consideration so an 'entertaining' team away from home wont be a priority in team planning..

Remember for many teams, survival is an achievement, and success isn't measured in trophies won but getting to the end of the season without incurring too huge a loss, meaning they can come to the tapes again the next year....

How important home wins are is highlighted by how so many meetings that end up 'guestfests' invariably have the away team turning up without their Number One and others missing...

The home side wouldn't dream of planning in a meeting without their main man and two or three guests unless absolutely no choice, but the away team will agree to ride readily given the same circumstances...

Protect your home meeting and crowd level is always the priority..

Edited by mikebv

Any news on Wolves guests, I would get Ritchie Worrall as one, seems to be going well and rode well for Poole earlier in the season.

Promoters for ever have known home wins keeps a crowd...

Great racing but constant defeats means huge losses and potential closure...

Hence all teams are built to deliver home wins first and foremost and the track will be delivered to suit the home team riders regardless of entertainment value generated...

Many Promoters don't even consider the entertainment side of the equation anyway, it is simply winning they aspire to...

Hardly anyone goes away to watch their team therefore how they perform away is very much a secondary consideration so an 'entertaining' team away from home wont be a priority in team planning..

Remember for many teams, survival is an achievement, and success isn't measured in trophies won but getting to the end of the season without incurring too huge a loss, meaning they can come to the tapes again the next year....

How important home wins are is highlighted by how so many meetings that end up 'guestfests' invariably have the away team turning up without their Number One and others missing...

The home side wouldn't dream of planning in a meeting without their main man and two or three guests unless absolutely no choice, but the away team will agree to ride readily given the same circumstances...

Protect your home meeting and crowd level is always the priority..

Sadly, that just about sums up the state of speedway in this country.

Any news on Wolves guests, I would get Ritchie Worrall as one, seems to be going well and rode well for Poole earlier in the season.

Problem is, no matter how well Richie is going, you are not guaranteed a big score from him at the NSS. He was scoring quite well for Poole in his spell with them earlier this season, but on his appearance as a Pirate at the NSS he scored just 1.

Sadly, that just about sums up the state of speedway in this country.

Problem is, no matter how well Richie is going, you are not guaranteed a big score from him at the NSS. He was scoring quite well for Poole in his spell with them earlier this season, but on his appearance as a Pirate at the NSS he scored just 1.

I don't think his score for Poole at the NSS is a good guide to his form generally at Belle Vue and can be disregarded.

He guested for Belle Vue against King's Lynn and scored 7 from 5 rides and in the British Final scored 9 from 5 rides. Both better than his performance for Poole.

Ritchie Worrall unbeaten so far in Championship riders. I know its his home track but pretty impressive. I'm sure he would be worth a go for wolves on monday.

Edited by foreverblue

Looks like cook may have a 7 day ban for missing yesterday,

Assume we can get a guest for him

Why did he miss yesterday?

Through illness