Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Wolves -v Belle Vue 10th/11th October Ko Cup Final

Good to see a couple of Poole fans offering their congratulations on Facebook.

For those who don't consider the Cup as an important trophy just remember who we beat to win it, Swindon, Wolves and Poole.

All trophies are worth winning, some have more value than others but to win the cup, any cup is certainly not worthless and well done to Belle Vue, I am sure you all had a great night. Wolves were unlucky to pick up so many injuries but that's how it goes sometimes.

• Like 1

All trophies are worth winning, some have more value than others but to win the cup, any cup is certainly not worthless and well done to Belle Vue, I am sure you all had a great night. Wolves were unlucky to pick up so many injuries but that's how it goes sometimes.

Wolves were unlucky with injuries and it was good to hear that Lindgren is progressing well and may go home this week and that Thorssell is due to take his first steps today following his surgery.

However, let's not forget that Belle Vue were without their second and third heat leaders who, combined, were likely to score as many points as Wolves three injured riders. Wolves had the best guest, they gained a lucky 3-3 when Worrall's chained snapped when we were on a definite 5-1 and Bewley was unable to take his last ride after his fall in heat 12.

The pleasing thing last night, as well as winning the Cup, was that every rider gave his all. Smith and Greaves didn't score many points but they had 100% determination and commitment, just like everyone else.

Edited by Aces51

Wolves were unlucky with injuries and it was good to hear that Lindgren is progressing well and may go home this week and that Thorssell is due to take his first steps today following his surgery.

However, let's not forget that Belle Vue were without their second and third heat leaders who, combined, were likely to score as many points as Wolves three injured riders. Wolves had the best guest, they gained a lucky 3-3 when Worrall's chained snapped when we were on a definite 5-1 and Bewley was unable to take his last ride after his fall in heat 12.

The pleasing thing last night, as well as winning the Cup, was that every rider gave his all. Smith and Greaves didn't score many points but they had 100% determination and commitment, just like everyone else.

We may have had the best guest but the other two were pants.

We actually had 4 injured riders missing, r/r plus 3 guests scored a total of 23 points, I would have thought Lindgren, Thorssell, Schlein and Howarth would have been worth 30 points atleast to be honest but we will never know. Had those 4 plus Fricke and Cook been riding it would have been a totally different meeting but they weren't.

Personally given the situation we were in I am immensely proud that we managed to force both the playoff final and the ko cup final to a last heat decider, the fighting spirit of our remaining riders has been incredible

• Like 3

What a great meeting it was last night, excellent racing from both teams and commiserations to Wolves who certainly made us fight. The two men of the match were for me Dan Bewley who's heat 11 defeat of Scotty was sensational, and Jack Smith who secured a vital point in heat 14, although all the team chipped in and in the end we fully deserved to lift the trophy. Now it is over to the Colts tomorrow to clinch the title and hopefully the cup as well in due course. Aces/Colts til I die.

Wolves had four injured riders and in my opinion they would win easily over two legs if both clubs had their full teams. Good to hear riders are improving after their injuries they deserve to enjoy their well earned time off.

• Like 3

Wolves had four injured riders and in my opinion they would win easily over two legs if both clubs had their full teams. Good to hear riders are improving after their injuries they deserve to enjoy their well earned time off.

Not quite sure how you reach the "Wolves would have won easily conclusion" after they beat us by 1 point over 2 legs in the playoff semi final when, for all intents and purposes, both teams were complete... 2 very evenly matched teams. Wolves were unlucky not to win anything this season, but had BV lost, we would have been the unlucky ones...
  • Like 1

We may have had the best guest but the other two were pants.

We actually had 4 injured riders missing, r/r plus 3 guests scored a total of 23 points, I would have thought Lindgren, Thorssell, Schlein and Howarth would have been worth 30 points atleast to be honest but we will never know. Had those 4 plus Fricke and Cook been riding it would have been a totally different meeting but they weren't.

Personally given the situation we were in I am immensely proud that we managed to force both the playoff final and the ko cup final to a last heat decider, the fighting spirit of our remaining riders has been incredible

Sorry, yes 4 injured. I still think Cook and Fricke would have scored as many as those four and if Worrall and Nicholls were pants then so was Harris but they all gave 100%. We shall never know what would have happened if both teams had their full 1-7 but you certainly can be proud of the riders who represented Wolves.

Not quite sure how you reach the "Wolves would have won easily conclusion" after they beat us by 1 point over 2 legs in the playoff semi final when, for all intents and purposes, both teams were complete... 2 very evenly matched teams. Wolves were unlucky not to win anything this season, but had BV lost, we would have been the unlucky ones...

Complete? Missing Jacob for the 2nd leg and Freddie for his last 2 rides when he'd scored 12 from his first 4 rides, if you call that a full line up fair enough, and I know Fricke was missing aswell bit your riders are better equipped to cover r/r at the NSS, Tungate, Worrall, Cook and Bewley isn't bad cover round there.

Edited by Call me wolfie
  • Like 1

Fricke r/r scored 8+1 from 4 rides. Thorssell r/r scored 8 from 4 rides. Considering we were so much better equipped to cope it hardly made a difference, yet in real terms Fricke is a better rider than Thorssell round NSS. And yes you missed Freddie for heats 13 and 15 but we all know the major refereeing decision helped you to a few extra points. All by the by, I'm just saying with 2 full teams it would most certainly not have been a walk in the park for either. As I said, 2 very evenly matched teams imo.

Really, in the league meeting at the NSS on 24/7/17 Belle Vue won 53-40 both had full 1-7. In the league meeting at Wolves on 28/08/17, Wolves won 49-41, Wolves had their full 1-7, Belle Vue were without M Fricke. Aggregate score Belle Vue 94-89 Wolves, As Ace no 5 pointed out, 2 pretty evenly matched teams.

• Like 2

I think it was stevebrum who pointed out that the aces won both league meetings on aggregate so he made us favourites for the play off semi.With both teams at full strength it would have been very close.The real winner last night was speedway,it was a great advert for the sport and a pity it wasn't on TV.

• Like 3

Really, in the league meeting at the NSS on 24/7/17 Belle Vue won 53-40 both had full 1-7. In the league meeting at Wolves on 28/08/17, Wolves won 49-41, Wolves had their full 1-7, Belle Vue were without M Fricke. Aggregate score Belle Vue 94-89 Wolves, As Ace no 5 pointed out, 2 pretty evenly matched teams.

Wolves won 51-38 in the play off semi with Thorsell crashing out in heat 14 and Belle Vue only missing Smith. As i said only my opinion.

Not sure what you're getting at there? Wolves won the playoff semi 1st leg with a full team at Monmore by 13 points. They won the KoC Final 1st leg with guests at Monmore by 10 points... Not a massive difference. But of course both meetings were over 2 legs?