British Speedway Forum
dantodan

When Should I Add Newcastle To The Defunct Speedway Website!

A very touchy subject but here goes. The trend in recent years has been for noticeably less supporters in the stadium every year so it comes as no great surprise that a Newcastle Promoter is putting doubt in our minds about the team continuing in 2018.

The promoter says: “If people want to see Speedway at Newcastle in 2018, please come and show your support for Monday nights starting on October 9 (7.30) when we race the 2nd leg of the Knockout Cup Quarter final against Glasgow.

I totally agree and it shouldn't matter whether a match is on Sunday or Monday now should it? Some supporters may be working on Monday nights and others may not feel happy bringing their kids out on Monday night instead of their preferred Sunday. We need to respond to the promoter's concerns about badly supported Mondays by turning up this Monday 9th October 2017 at 7.30pm to give him a clear message that we will support the team any day of the week.

Now my daughter and I will need the promoters to give us a clear message that we should renew our season tickets as we won't feel happy doing that if 2018 is in doubt! :cry:

• Like 1

Do you really think they will sell season tickets for next year if we're not running ffs!!!

Can't believe you have actually put this on here why not just let the promotion do what they have been doing for last god knows how many years and keep the sport alive which is where we come in, we need as many there as possible on Monday and for the rest of the season.

Well I said it was a touchy subject. Correct me if I am wrong but is this not a forum?

• Like 1

Yes it is but your title has the club all but closed down already, imo it's not really helpful in the slightest

• Like 1

I think one problem that has affected gates this year is the temporary absence of the upstairs bar and restaurant. Having new owners, they decided to give these areas a massive facelift that these places had needed. Unfortunately they found asbestos and, instead of the three weeks originally planned, it took considerable longer. This was also extended because an electrician working on the project was electrocuted quite badly and hospitalised, whilst the incident then had to be investigated by the H & S Executive. During this lengthy absence, people who usually occupied these areas, either moved outside but many stopped coming because of their personal preference not to stand outside. The refurbished areas are now open, but I would assume that some fans have got out of the habit of coming, and stayed at home especially with our recent rainoffs. Please note, that all of the things I have highlighted above are not down to the quality of the product and were completely out of the control of the promotion.

With the actual costs of the rain offs, quoted as £5K each, there must be losses which a sport like ours can't carry. By returning and getting others back, the promotion can then think before the AGM in November, whether they can carry on next year with new hope that such costs were just a one-off for this year.

Get behind the team if you want it to continue. When it's gone, it is gone.

• Like 2

Well I said it was a touchy subject. Correct me if I am wrong but is this not a forum?

​Yes dantodan it is a forum and there should be free debate. But elsewhere when I see some of the responses my own Posts get in return I do wonder. :unsure:

Edited by Guest

Get behind the team if you want it to continue. When it's gone, it is gone.

thats sounds so much like the sale items in a supermarket Dave,,, but we all know that there'll be some other sh!te in the same place next time we go ;)

Although, what the rest of your post said can't be disputed.

Then when you see other threads and read what also puts fans off, it cannot be ignored. Fans seem to be sick of ambigious rules and,how rules are altered to suit. It may be a case of 1 or 2 bad apples stirring it for the rest, but something is losing fans and its not the 1 or 2 moaners causing it. A dunno if the ones that run the sport work as a pack and the lower orders get shafted and get kept a bay, but the fans aren't turning up for some reason.

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

At this time of year just about every year there are rumours of troubles at clubs all over the place, thankfully on most occasions they are simply rumours, lets hope that the doubts surrounding future speedway at Brough Park remain just that.

• Like 2

The current promotion has been good for Newcastle that is beyond doubt. George English remains Newcastle Speedway's longest serving promoter (and team manager). A record 21 consecutive seasons if we are running in 2018. His commitment is immense. As Tsunami says 2017 has been a difficult year and a large slice of the difficulties came whilst the landlords carried out the work. I know 2 supporters whom didn't come to the track when the work was being carried out but they came back eventually. :t:

Throughout all of the weeks when we didn't have a home meeting, due to rain-offs and cancellations for other reasons, I wondered how long the promoters could survive without any income.

I am looking forward to Monday at 7.30pm

Edited by dantodan
  • Like 1

Yes, the work on the stand has affected things, I am sure.

But for crying out loud, look at the product. The present motley crew have managed to break the spell that speedway has had over me since 1969, and that has taken some doing.

@Dantodan will identify the seasons I'm referring to, but even when we had Rune Knudsen, Scott Smith and Steffen Mell, and sometimes only Dickie seemed able to take it to the opposition, they were our team and they tried (ok, Mick Powell probably didn't).

I can't say the same for the present incumbents.

But for crying out loud, look at the product. The present motley crew have managed to break the spell that speedway has had over me since 1969, and that has taken some doing.

@Dantodan will identify the seasons I'm referring to, but even when we had Rune Knudsen, Scott Smith and Steffen Mell, and sometimes only Dickie seemed able to take it to the opposition, they were our team and they tried (ok, Mick Powell probably didn't).

totally agree & I even know the season too do you care to name it?

Mick Powell got injured fairly early on in his Diamonds career, so it's hard to judge. But if you want to accuse anyone of "not trying," (albeit occasionally) try a certain Aussie in 2002!!

You could ad Newcastle to the defunct website now if you like, it means nothing anyway,Newcastle will still be up and running.

I cannot add a team to the defunct website on your say so, especially as Newcastle isn't defunct. The team can continue only if the finances are there! We need more visitors through the turnstiles, so persuade anyone you know who has stopped coming, to turn up for the last 3 meetings of the season. This will send a message to the promoters who will be encouraged to get us running in 2018

• Like 1

Mick Powell got injured fairly early on in his Diamonds career, so it's hard to judge. But if you want to accuse anyone of "not trying," (albeit occasionally) try a certain Aussie in 2002!!

I haven't a clue Watt your going on about 😉
  • Like 3