British Speedway Forum
dantodan

When Should I Add Newcastle To The Defunct Speedway Website!

How does a petition to the stadium owners to reduce the rent, signed by as many fans as possible, before we all go into hibernation sound? Probably a forlorn hope that they would help us cut our costs but "you don't get if you don't ask!" I am off now to join PaulS in the lottery ticket queue

its not the ones who do the graft its the plus 1 that gets me , say 35 graft get in free so they should but 35 guests saying they are all adults thats £560 lost revenue each meeting .

Agree with you then, same problem up at Berwick

If the '35 guests' is the problem, why was this ever offered in the first place ?

Did the staff/workers demand it ?,,, maybe it needs renegotiating.

For every legitimate guest that gets in, am sure there'll be a 'hanger-on' getting in.

If the '35 guests' is the problem, why was this ever offered in the first place ?

Did the staff/workers demand it ?,,, maybe it needs renegotiating.

For every legitimate guest that gets in, am sure there'll be a 'hanger-on' getting in.

At the end of the day, it's up to the management whom they let in for free, they may do something behind the scenes that the average fan is not aware of. However, I think the best way to support a club is to always pay through the gate, over the years I have been offered free admission from various sources including the promotion. I have always declined them on the grounds that morally I should support my club by paying at the turnstiles.

• Like 6

At the end of the day, it's up to the management whom they let in for free, they may do something behind the scenes that the average fan is not aware of. However, I think the best way to support a club is to always pay through the gate, over the years I have been offered free admission from various sources including the promotion. I have always declined them on the grounds that morally I should support my club by paying at the turnstiles.

can't disagree with that, but unfortunately there's probly not many like you left.

Just wondering if "Crowdfunding" might provide a solution to the current funding issue for 2018. I don't know much about this, but I do believe it is something which has been used successfully to raise funds for commercial and community based projects.

With the right publicity (local media/councillors/speedway department at HM Gov) perhaps it might provide a solution if we are not successful in finding a sponsor?

I don't know what the required investment is, but our gang on the terraces second guessed circa £20,000. If that is near the mark, then I am sure there would be every chance of raising a sum approaching this by a combination of my suggestion and sponsorship.

Perhaps anyone who does know something about Crowdfunding could either state that this would not work for whatever reason or endorse the idea?

Just wondering if "Crowdfunding" might provide a solution to the current funding issue for 2018. I don't know much about this, but I do believe it is something which has been used successfully to raise funds for commercial and community based projects.

With the right publicity (local media/councillors/speedway department at HM Gov) perhaps it might provide a solution if we are not successful in finding a sponsor?

I don't know what the required investment is, but our gang on the terraces second guessed circa £20,000. If that is near the mark, then I am sure there would be every chance of raising a sum approaching this by a combination of my suggestion and sponsorship.

Perhaps anyone who does know something about Crowdfunding could either state that this would not work for whatever reason or endorse the idea?

Crowdfunding may well work but there is a % to be paid to the hosting website which varies between 5% and 20%.

Some interesting thoughts:

Crowdfunding- can work but we would have to know what the target would be. Also, on what basis would any funds be paid over?

Petition to reduce rent - good luck with that one...

George 's statement - ten out of ten for honesty but I can't see it doing much for season ticket sales

Strength of next year's team - it'll be enough if there is one at all. Who cares who wins the Championship? It's an ever-shrinking non-competition.

I've got my fingers crossed.

£20K is not a great deal of money. If we assume all 10 teams could survive on a similar cash injection - then a 3-season deal would cost £600K. Small change to a big PLC.

SGB Carabao Championship anyone?

Instead of being forced to rely on Limited companies to subsidise each season's loss, the sport needs a big PLC with big £££££££££ to steady things and start to move away from constant worries of closure and towards building for the future - more British riders, who can ride knowing if they get good enough Speedway will pay them considerably more money than they could hope to earn in other jobs....making it a more attractive career choice...meaning more British riders...etc.

Failing that Mike Ashley should pull out some loose change from his deep pockets and then we have the Newcastle Sports Direct Diamonds - after all he will be looking for a new club soon and it's the least he could do after 2 relegations...?

• Like 1

A couldn't see Mike opening his copper jar to save the Diamonds, but maybe if he was guaranteed to sell some of those 'quid bags' that no-one wants, he might be tempted.

Tracks are closing. The biggest savings could be made by "taxing" riders by a pay cut to keep tracks open. After all if there are not enough tracks operating then some of the riders will have no-where to ply their trade. Surely BSPA must be putting Track Closures and Expenses at the top of their agenda for the management meeting coming up in November.

I think the older promoters will be able to cast their minds back and draw on the decisions made donkey years ago to avoid closures then. We are in the hands of the promoters whom need to make some cost cutting rules to save the day

The problem is that years ago a good proportion of riders were amateur and had full-time jobs so were not paid that well plus the cost of equipment has rocketed so not sure how you can go backwards to that business model.

• Like 3

The problem is that years ago a good proportion of riders were amateur and had full-time jobs so were not paid that well plus the cost of equipment has rocketed so not sure how you can go backwards to that business model.

Yes that is exactly right. You can't look back when you have a business - you can only look forward and change the business to suit the current situation. You have to look after your customers (supporters) and give them value for money but at the same time your customers need to understand that any business needs to make money. It's all about engaging as much as possible with your customers, getting them on your side and making them feel valued. That is where a lot of speedway clubs/promotions have gone wrong in the past.

• Like 4

Yes that is exactly right. You can't look back when you have a business - you can only look forward and change the business to suit the current situation. You have to look after your customers (supporters) and give them value for money but at the same time your customers need to understand that any business needs to make money. It's all about engaging as much as possible with your customers, getting them on your side and making them feel valued. That is where a lot of speedway clubs/promotions have gone wrong in the past.

That's where most speedway clubs are going wrong in the present, I feel

• Like 4

Tracks are closing.

Who are/have?? Apart from Coventry ( which was due to stadium issues) who was the last club to actually close??

Who are/have?? Apart from Coventry ( which was due to stadium issues) who was the last club to actually close??

Newport comes to mind with Reading, Exeter earlier.