British Speedway Forum
dantodan

When Should I Add Newcastle To The Defunct Speedway Website!

We have stared at the face of closure before: -

• 1930 (Don't know why it closed)
  • 1939 (Due to 2nd world war, with the Diamonds top of the league)
  • 1951 (Possibly due to the entertainment tax)
  • 1970 (After losing Star Men Ivan Mauger & Ole Olsen)
  • 1984 (After a disastrous season in the top flight)
  • 1994 (Don't know why it closed)

George English took the plunge as promoter in 1997 and has been there until 2017 and a lot longer I hope. Correct me if you can about any of our closures. Newcastle are now one of a handful of tracks who started at the beginning 1929 and are still operating in 2017

Didnt we also close on the eve of the 1988 season?? As I can remember being at a meet the riders night at the PTE club on a Monday night ( Shane Bowes was one rider in attendance) and the next day it was announced we had closed down Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 1

Didnt we also close on the eve of the 1988 season?? As I can remember being at a meet the riders night at the PTE club on a Monday night ( Shane Bowes was one rider in attendance) and the next day it was announced we had closed down

Yeah. We didn't run in 1988, returning in 1989, with a top two of Rod Hunter and Peter Carr.

Tsunami. Was your involvement with The Diamonds prior to you leaving Dexys or after ?

It was after come on Eileen.

• Like 1

The takings at the cafe under the grandstand must be considerable judging by the number of people with chips and burgers! Is it all profits to the landlords or does the speedway make anything from the sales? If the "dogs" (no not hotdogs!) pun intended, get the lion share, or all of it, perhaps this could be a bargaining "chip" another pun intended, when trying to get them to lower the rent to help speedway keep going.

What date is the promoters meeting scheduled for?

The takings at the cafe under the grandstand must be considerable judging by the number of people with chips and burgers! Is it all profits to the landlords or does the speedway make anything from the sales? If the "dogs" (no not hotdogs!) pun intended, get the lion share, or all of it, perhaps this could be a bargaining "chip" another pun intended, when trying to get them to lower the rent to help speedway keep going.

If it's the same as before, I believe the landlords get it all. The only 'extra' income the speedway gets is the Car Park money (not sure if we, or the landlords pay for the security), the 50/50 draw and the track shop profits, off the top of my head.

Edited by Steve Park
  • Like 2

Brilliant 200 bags of chips sort the sport in Newcastle, how many pieces of home made pie to fix Scunthorpe anyone?

• Like 2

Brilliant 200 bags of chips sort the sport in Newcastle, how many pieces of home made pie to fix Scunthorpe anyone?

Not a huge problem then, if the profits from the cafe would save Newcastle from closure? But a hell of a lot of pies would need to be sold to save Scunthorpe ( three per person? ). Perhaps it would work out with everyone also buying two portions of mushy peas ( bigger profit margin on the peas )?

some things just can't be fixed, would be a shame to waste pie.

Can we get rid of the negative title of this thread and change it to 'Ideas to help Newcastle Speedway run in 2018' please

Already said that!!!

Just to add to my post (#96), when we brought in our own (Darryl) burger van, the then landlords, William Hill, soon put a stop to it.

Can we get rid of the negative title of this thread and change it to 'Ideas to help Newcastle Speedway run in 2018' please

Already said that!!!

you could try starting a new topic, taking over from this one but,,,

the negativity will turn up sooner or later.

you could call it, ' has anyone got any 'good' ideas to help Newcastle Speedway 2018 ;)

Just to add to my post (#96), when we brought in our own (Darryl) burger van, the then landlords, William Hill, soon put a stop to it.

And countered it by charging £150 per meeting for the van parking. It was taking business off the main outlet in the bar upstairs, so they made our burger van not viable with the extra rent. The sad thing was that the van also did hot drinks and meant that disabled people did not have to go upstairs to the upper bar. The eventual compromise was the setting up of the vacant track shop on the terracing, having also lost the previous track shop next to the office which my wife Jen used to run.

• Like 2

I like the thread title but anyone who doesn't like it should exercise their forum rights and start a "positive thread title of their own" YAWN!