British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blackadder

Sheffield V Leicester Prom./rel. Play Offs 1st & 2nd Legs

We were out gated in nearly every race. Heeps and Newman at reserve, end of story. We have just won the league and this is the first time the team have ridden at Owlerton. A total damp squid, no celebration. just a good hiding. That made all the tigers fan's that stand near me really p-ss-d off. That's how to promote speedway. Let the fans down.utt

Hit the nail on the head! I was totally peed off too, haven't even seen the title winning cup!

Total disgrace do they think we are all thick ,and the t v must be disillusioned and might never come to Sheffield again.I am not paying any more money out this season ,it was a setup,lets wait and see what happens on Thursday Ipswitch should wipe the floor with us

Wow! I must admit that I did not see that coming. So I hold my hands up and eat mass helpings of humble pie! I'm just sorry that Speedway has made me this cynical

The Sheffield Riders did nothing to enhance their reputations & Nicholls was embarrassing, but the difference was Leicester having Championship heat leaders at reserve. That is where Sheffield were outclassed.

Edited by Col

Rubbish track=too narrow for modern racing.

Rubbish meeting=too many long intervals between races.

Rubbish Scott Nicholls=Did they actually pay him for that?

Surely BT Sport aren't going to bother with the second leg? I wouldn't blame them if they gave Speedway the heave-ho after that exhibition.

• Like 1

If that meeting was fixed last night I would be surprised that the score line went as it did.

If fixed, I would suggest the home team would have lost by say 2 or 4 at home, and 10-12 away - more plausible then a 26 point home loss as it was.

Relegation/Promotion should be done as in football - (but only) the top team goes up and the bottom team goes down. Its logical that a team going up would have to strengthen for a year in Premiership, that they would do between seasons.

Having a straight play off at the end of a season, for it to be any sort of a great meeting (great enough to be televised) then the Premier league team would have to be really naff, and the Champions league team something really special for it to be a real success with real meaning. Clearly that wasn't so.

Long time since I seen the Sheffield track (albeit on tv) and it look good and could produce good racing I'm sure, but for TV viewing, that was really poor last night, and there is a thought generally that "what you see last you remember first", well if that statement be true when BT comes to decide whether they take on British speedway in 2018 then I fear there will be no contract.

And that's another reason I cant see last night was fixed, surely riders and promotors would know that TV companies need to show a good spectacle to keep viewers paying for the service.

Another reason I don't think the meeting would have been fixed is that riders earn their money by scoring points. So who is saying Sheffield riders last night didn't want to earn a good wage last night? Or they had their wages made up? - if so by whom. Which promotor has enough money to just pay out quiet a sum of money to lose a much?

Apart from anything else, if true, match fixing on the scale it was last night would be truly a serious offence liable for a big punishment.

Just my thoughts.

Given the commonality in promoters this would be an easy meeting to fix. But if you were fixing it your main concern would be to maximise revenues for the two clubs.

So Sheffield would have won narrowly last night, coming from behind to win in a last heat decider by say 48-42. That would be enough to please Tigers fans and encourage Lions fans to turn out for the second leg where they would win comfortably after a slow start.

• Like 2

Promotion/Relegation was always doomed to fail, last night just confirmed it.

• Like 1

There was no fixing of the score last night you could tell that by the look on Simon Steads face, you could tell he felt very let down by his teams performance.

As others have said if you were to fix the result to keep fans and BT happy it would have been a Sheffield home win by 6-8 and then Leicester to win at home by 10 that way more fans attend the 2nd leg and BT have the excitement of Leicester fighting back

The problem is how do motivate the team for the second leg with even Bates admitting on TV that the promotion has got away from them.

• Like 1

Guest Scunny2012

Given the commonality in promoters this would be an easy meeting to fix. But if you were fixing it your main concern would be to maximise revenues for the two clubs.

So Sheffield would have won narrowly last night, coming from behind to win in a last heat decider by say 48-42. That would be enough to please Tigers fans and encourage Lions fans to turn out for the second leg where they would win comfortably after a slow start.

Agree with the above can't see many turning out at Leicester for the 2nd leg, Leicester may have won easily at Sheffield but the Leicester promotion have shot themselves in the foot, should have eased off halfway through especially with the team they have and at least given Sheffield supporters a bit of hope, most people including myself have said there is little difference in teams in the 2 leagues, how wrong was I especially with championship heat leader Heeps at reserve, it didn't help that Sheffield had their 2 top riders missing one replaced by a rider who should now think about just tv presenting.

Without JG and KH they were never going to win it, but would have made it a better contest.Oops Josh Bates let slip he rides for both Teams Nigel and Kelvin were very quiet on that subject.

Doesn't matter what happens, if you like watching Speedway it'll be great, if you have allegiance to a particular vest and don't like any other then that could rather restrict your tv speedway viewing schedule.

Promotion/Relegation was always doomed to fail, last night just confirmed it.

Spot on.

What a waste of time,and a gimmick meeting. :nono: