British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

1950 3rd Division Riders Championship

Guest compost

Does anyone know the overall winner of this competition ?

It was a 4 heat second half competition run following each league match in NL3 during the season. The highest scoring 4 riders from the league match each team took 2 rides each.

I've not seen a Final and there was a match on the 18th October that had a round of this competition, which would imply there was no cut off date for a Final.

I have incomplete scores but Pat Clarke (Oxford 160) is leading from Trevor Redmond (Aldershot 149), Basil Harris (Aldershot 135), Cyril Quick (Poole 130) & Ken Middleditch (Poole 125) (they are the only ones totalling over 100 points).

Thanks

Speedway Researcher website is one of the great history sites for Speedway results....obviously very incomplete as they don't seem to post until they have a complete year.

But there is a wealth of information out there....for me when I want to know the result of a particular meeting, its the first stop!

• Like 2

Speedway Researcher website is one of the great history sites for Speedway results....obviously very incomplete as they don't seem to post until they have a complete year.

But there is a wealth of information out there....for me when I want to know the result of a particular meeting, its the first stop!

If you turn to the 'League Riders Championships' page of 'Speedway Champions' website you'll see the event listed there, along with a copy of the Walthamstow programme of the Oct. 23rd.

http://www.speedwaychampions.com/league-riders-chmpshps.php

There was a 3rd Division Riders champs Final at Walthamstow on 23rd October but not sure if this is related to what you want.

Results are available here... http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/walthamstow1950.pdf

The Walthamstow programme for the meeting on 23rd October 1950 confirmed that this was the final of the competition run throughout the season, where at every Division 3 league meeting the top four points scorers (including bonus points) from each team contested the Championship Rounds in the second half of the programme.

There was a crowd of more than 23,000 at the final.

Edited by BL65

What a coincidence that 10 years later, with Pat Clarke retired and gone, the 2nd and 3rd, Trevor Redmond and Ken Middleditch, moved up to be winner and second at the 1960 equivalent competition, the Provincial Lge. RC at Cradley Heath.

Between times they had though both performed at senior level, the former with Wembley. Middleditch had won the Div.3 and Div.2 titles in 1951 and 1954 resp'ly. before becoming part of Swindon's Nat'l Lge winning team of '57 as well as in Poole's stints in the senior league prior to 1960.
PLRC_1960_EH_NM_TR.jpg

• Like 1

Guest compost

Thanks everyone for the help.

Appreciated