British Speedway Forum

26 minutes ago, MattK said:

Poole and King's Lynn have successfully rode on Wednesdays in 2017, even though they are allocated to the Danish League. It seems that one other Premiership club will ride on Wednesday and a compromise has been made to allow Swindon to continue on a Thursday.

As I said, do you think three Championship clubs should have been forced to move from their Thursday race night in order to accommodate the Premiership?

I believe Bates was ready to swap leagues with Leicester/Sheffield if he lost the debate and Thursdays for Premiership was pushed through

He seems to be the strong voice at the moment....

53 minutes ago, MattK said:

Poole and King's Lynn have successfully rode on Wednesdays in 2017, even though they are allocated to the Danish League. It seems that one other Premiership club will ride on Wednesday and a compromise has been made to allow Swindon to continue on a Thursday.

As I said, do you think three Championship clubs should have been forced to move from their Thursday race night in order to accommodate the Premiership?

If Thursday's had been approved, why change it?

Sheffield and Ipswich should have had two choices if they wanted Thursdays. Ride top league or ride Thursday's but top league sides get priority on riders.

Ipswich, in particular, seem to have been holding the top flight to ransom for years.

I'm just fed up with speedway seeing the best way forward being to make the good clubs as crap as the poor ones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Sheffield and Ipswich should have had two choices if they wanted Thursdays. Ride top league or ride Thursday's but top league sides get priority on riders.

Ipswich, in particular, seem to have been holding the top flight to ransom for years.

I'm just fed up with speedway seeing the best way forward being to make the good clubs as crap as the poor ones.

24 minutes ago, Grachan said:

They should have scrapped doubling up and used Young British talent ,let these money grabbing riders solve their own problems.Its still a mess IMO .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MattK said:

I think so, which is why the compromise has been offered for us to continue running some of our meetings on Thursdays.

Believe me the Greyhounds are a Sis track  decent money coming into the abbey  it is a BAGS track they take priority we will see what happen's  ☺️

On 12/30/2017 at 8:05 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Believe me the Greyhounds are a Sis track  decent money coming into the abbey  it is a BAGS track they take priority we will see what happen's  ☺️

????? please translate.

10 minutes ago, hyderd said:

????? please translate.

What Sid means is that there is a BAGS contract in place, which is worth a tidy sum to the stadium owners. That is to say, the dogs are shown in bookmakers shops every afternoon. Belle Vue are a track that also have a BAGS contract.

The providers of this service were/are SIS.

S.I.S  i believe stands for Satellite Information Systems - it's the company that supply horse racing/dog racing pictures and commentary to the betting shops

BAGS stands for Bookmakers Afternoon Greyhound Service

So therefore STR is saying that live pictures from the Abbey are supplied to bookmakers for afternoon racing and Swindon get a nice fee for it

i knew those years as a betting shop manager would come in use .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Downes said:

S.I.S  i believe stands for Satellite Information Systems - it's the company that supply horse racing/dog racing pictures and commentary to the betting shops

BAGS stands for Bookmakers Afternoon Greyhound Service

So therefore STR is saying that live pictures from the Abbey are supplied to bookmakers for afternoon racing and Swindon get a nice fee for it

i knew those years as a betting shop manager would come in use .....

Andy,

not trying to be picky or anything, but my son who works for them tell me they have just changed their name to Sports Information Systems.

Edited by HertsRacer

2 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Tracks are paid approx 1.5m a year to host bags meetings 

Which is why the management do not worry if there is only 30 people attending the dog meeting, and if that income figure is correct, the income from speedway is a bit of pin money.  

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 11:20 AM, Grachan said:

Tail wagging the dog!!!

Peterborough Greyhound racing is a perfect example of what smart investment, promotion and marketing can achieve. The flat caps standing in the freezing cold days are long gone. A huge glass fronted, warm stadium with restaurant, bars, cafe is packed out 3 nights a week. It attracts families, work’s parties, lads and ladies nights of all ages. 6 dogs chasing a stuffed toy. 

9 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Andy,

not trying to be picky or anything, but my son who works for them tell me they have just changed their name to Sports Information Systems.

not a problem, Hackney were still racing when I last managed a shop so not surprised things have changed in the last 25 years

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Peterborough Greyhound racing is a perfect example of what smart investment, promotion and marketing can achieve. The flat caps standing in the freezing cold days are long gone. A huge glass fronted, warm stadium with restaurant, bars, cafe is packed out 3 nights a week. It attracts families, work’s parties, lads and ladies nights of all ages. 6 dogs chasing a stuffed toy. 

Maybe, just maybe this is a route speedway should go down? More betting on races at the track.

8 hours ago, SCB said:

Maybe, just maybe this is a route speedway should go down? More betting on races at the track.

You know yourself that Bet365, as do some other brands, bet on speedway matches.

How would you sell this particular aspect to the ‘closed shop’ that masquerades itself as a professional sport in the 21st century?

What are the potential benefits to the club and BSPA?