British Speedway Forum

I think if betting became widespread in speedway there's a risk the sport could become corrupt :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Would be SO easy to rig races and matches. 

Why would it be easier to rig a speedway race than say a horse race?

25 minutes ago, MattK said:

Why would it be easier to rig a speedway race than say a horse race?

What is rigging a horse race got to do with it.? Speedway riders rig their average without betting though.!

32 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What is rigging a horse race got to do with it.? Speedway riders rig their average without betting though.!

Because horse racing has checks and balances in place to prevent rigging. If speedway was more betting focused it would have the same level of oversight. Currently there is no oversight, so as you rightly point out, there is a lot of manipulation.

On 02/01/2018 at 8:51 PM, Hodgy said:

Peterborough Greyhound racing is a perfect example of what smart investment, promotion and marketing can achieve. The flat caps standing in the freezing cold days are long gone. A huge glass fronted, warm stadium with restaurant, bars, cafe is packed out 3 nights a week. It attracts families, work’s parties, lads and ladies nights of all ages. 6 dogs chasing a stuffed toy. 

Is this the same stadium I drove past the other day, opposite Lynch Wood, wasn't sure if it was Showground?

33 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Is this the same stadium I drove past the other day, opposite Lynch Wood, wasn't sure if it was Showground?

No, the Greyhound stadium is the other side of the city centre, very impressive set up. The Showground / Speedway is opposite Lynch Wood. As Sir David would say “it’s the coldest place on the planet”. 

2 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

No, the Greyhound stadium is the other side of the city centre, very impressive set up. The Showground / Speedway is opposite Lynch Wood. As Sir David would say “it’s the coldest place on the planet”. 

Mmm....Blunsdon in mid-March makes the Arctic seem like a beach holiday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope was Craven Park, only ever missed two home meets but it was ony 'shirt sleeve' weather on just two occasions.   I'm talking about the main stand where spectators still enjoy the full benefits of any sea breeze, accompanied by mist wafting in off the River Humber.  Mind, it was tad warmer at ground level or in the back straight stand; stadium was built 90 degrees the wrong way round.  I'm told Buxton is unoffiicially the coldest track in the UK, though I've seen amateur heats run in between blizzards at Scunny....

Workybythesea is bloody nippy

On 03/01/2018 at 9:24 AM, bruno said:

I think if betting became widespread in speedway there's a risk the sport could become corrupt :o

Speedways corrupt anyway promoters looking after self interests 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Swindon must have the strongest top 4 in the league i reckon!

I am not a poet but....

I do not agree, shame about the other 3 :)

Regardless.

On 09/01/2018 at 12:45 AM, Col said:

I am not a poet but....

I do not agree, shame about the other 3 :)

Regardless.

Well I for one look forward to at least 2 of your ‘other 3’ ram your words right down your neck....