British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15894764.Russell_hoping_Robins_are_on_home_stretch_for_new_stadium/

What kind of a "grandstand" is this ? Looks strange to me. Can't see any seats in front of that building ! Where from would the mentioned 700 people have to watch the racing? From within the building, behind glass windows, and from that small balcony up there? Come on, that may be acceptable for the Greyhound people, but that won't be good enough for watching the speedway !

All this somehow reminds me of the early 90s' ill-fated London Stadium project at Hackney which had a similarly "impressive" grandstand - and that was certainly not good for watching speedway !  I hope Swindon Speedway does not make the same mistake !

...but its not Swindon Speedway that are paying for it, is it.  Sounds a lot like the glass-fronted restaurant/bars/grandstand that Stadia UK built at poole many moons ago.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, Skidder1 said:

...but its not Swindon Speedway that are paying for it, is it.  Sounds a lot like the glass-fronted restaurant/bars/grandstand that Stadia UK built at poole many moons ago.

Well if that's the case you will not like it, no sounds behind the glass but does solve the bitter cold at Blunsdon. I have only been behind glass at 2 meetings one was at Hackney and the other at Poole and I just missed the roar of the bike and the smell of the engines.

21 minutes ago, packerman said:

Well if that's the case you will not like it, no sounds behind the glass but does solve the bitter cold at Blunsdon. I have only been behind glass at 2 meetings one was at Hackney and the other at Poole and I just missed the roar of the bike and the smell of the engines.

You don't get those outdoors these days either.

1 hour ago, Sotonian said:

You don't get those outdoors these days either.

Agreed, the engines are a lot quieter and there is no castrol R smell anymore. 

2 hours ago, bruno said:

What happened to the smell , is castrol R not used anymore?

Most do yes.  I can't say I've ever not stopped getting a speedway smell fix.

Edited by stevebrum
accuracy
  • Like 1

Still get it now and again but doesn't seem so strong or often these days or am I just thinking back to the good old days with rose tinted on again

Maybe the sense of smell is like eyesight and hearing, it gets worse as we get older?

• Like 1

Definate :wink: there was me thinking its speedway changing but all along its just me getting older :(

1 hour ago, bruno said:

Still get it now and again but doesn't seem so strong or often these days or am I just thinking back to the good old days with rose tinted on again

Maybe there are a few more additives around these days that take the smell away??!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

2 hours ago, bruno said:

The Castrol R smell has gone, it would be interesting to get a post from any mechanic to see if any riders still use it. 

Just now, A ORLOV said:

The Castrol R smell has gone, it would be interesting to get a post from any mechanic to see if any riders still use it. 

They do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

They do. 

In which case the smell given out has been reduced as I do not smell it at all now and have not done for many years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

In which case the smell given out has been reduced as I do not smell it at all now and have not done for many years.

I'm not sure if all the riders still use it as there maybe other choices but I must add that I can't say I have noticed any reduction in smell as it's always the first thing that hits me every time. 

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

I use to love the smell back in the late 70's & 80's.That was part of speedway then.Now i very rarely get the whiff of that magical smell sadly.

• Like 1