British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

I'm not sure if all the riders still use it as there maybe other choices but I must add that I can't say I have noticed any reduction in smell as it's always the first thing that hits me every time. 

Are you stood right next to the silencers because I agree with Orlov and tellboy - there is less smell than I remember as a youngster

Modern synthetic oils give out less odour than the old mineral oils and total loss systems.  Castrol R has not been used by pros for 20 years or more.  Shame.

Edited by SPEEDY69

34 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Are you stood right next to the silencers because I agree with Orlov and tellboy - there is less smell than I remember as a youngster

At Birmingham and amateur level yes I am.  So probably more applicable to lower level racing that Castrol R is used.  I certainly only use it in mine. 

33 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Modern synthetic oils give out less odour than the old mineral oils and total loss systems.  Castrol R has not been used by pros for 20 years or more.  Shame.

That's a fair point. I get my oil from track spares person and it's always stocked with Castrol R. 

39 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Mineral oils?

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

You might be wrong there, PJR recommends Castrol R in his engines.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LesR said:

You might be wrong there, PJR recommends Castrol R in his engines.

Ah, but if that is the case it won't be the old Castrol R that most riders used in the 70s/80s.  There's no way PJR would recommend the old Castrol R40 - he was astounded I used old style castor in the 90s.  The name lives on but the product will be different.

Edited by SPEEDY69

The one thing that has not changed in Speedway in the last 40+ years is the oil. JAPS, Jawas, Weslakes, Goddens, GMs, Uprights and Laydowns have all been designed to run on "R". Castrol, Morris, Rock and others all make R40 oils. I've been up close to running Grasstrack  & Speedway engines, all using R, since the early 70s and I have to agree they don't smell the same these days, but as I know we've been  using the same oil all that time, I put it down to me loosing my sense of smell.:)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The one thing that has not changed in Speedway in the last 40+ years is the oil. JAPS, Jawas, Weslakes, Goddens, GMs, Uprights and Laydowns have all been designed to run on "R". Castrol, Morris, Rock and others all make R40 oils. I've been up close to running Grasstrack  & Speedway engines, all using R, since the early 70s and I have to agree they don't smell the same these days, but as I know we've been  using the same oil all that time, I put it down to me loosing my sense of smell.:)

Since quite a few have stated that they do not smell it they have obviously cut down on whatever created the smell, and I am often in the pits when they are warming up the bikes, so I would not put it down to your sense of smell.  You could originally smell it all round the track.

Next March I will stand right next to the exhaust and see if I can get a wiff of the old smell. 

On the subject of the new stadium, can anybody else see the old one being shut down, a new “ planning issue” appearing, years of delays and it never getting built? To me a major worry. 

12 hours ago, Rich said:

It has.  The 'new' Castrol R is not the same stuff that was used in the 70s/80s.  Methanol engines require an oil that is suitable for them and the high heat of speedway engines makes Castor based oil the most suitable but the oils have been developed a lot.

All clubs ought to have an old bike being warmed up in the pits with the old type oil in before meetings just for the smell mmmmmm mm Or doesn't it exist anymore? 

• Like 3

Congrats to Derek and Val of CFS Filtration, the new title sponsors of Swindon Robins - nice people!!:)

2 hours ago, Trees said:

All clubs ought to have an old bike being warmed up in the pits with the old type oil in before meetings just for the smell mmmmmm mm Or doesn't it exist anymore? 

Would be great if they rode it round the track before the meeting.  

• Like 3

I've noticed quite a few old bikes in or near the pits at several tracks!!!!  Not sure about riding around the track though?!:P:D:D

• Like 2