British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Outline planning permission was given as stated earlier.

The back straight stand at the present stadium could not be demolished, seen in a document somewhere, because of drainage issues, which is why nothing has been done, but you now claim pp has been given which I have asked where is it published because it is not on the planning docs relating to the present stadium changes. 

Is there any realistic time limit on when one might expect a decision on whether there really is going to be a stadium built on or around the existing site or whether the demands of modern housing sites ultimately take precidence in overtaking situations such as this ??

I am not from the  area but if the housing development has proceeded at its amazingly fast pace as most housing developments do when money is involved in changing hands on completion, then if there are resident concerns on noise levels etc (understandable if they really are that close), then surely at some stage something has to give/happen one way or the other.

We all know that planning changes/objections/amendments can take forever to go through authorities, but with the new stadium having been agreed so long ago yet the housing has pressed on regardless, then surely there must be some idea if this stadium will become a reality or maybe just more housing??

Believe there is also greyhound racing ?? which if the case is it basically in a similar supportive state to our dwindling Speedway. I.E: For many it won't be missed and I don't mean that sarcastically as I would love to see a new stadium built to hopefully help save the sport in Swindon.

7 minutes ago, MattK said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Permission was granted for the outline plan here:

http://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=JIUY3APT0BP00

As I said, going from memory I cannot recall any conditions on the demolition of the stadium, which would therefore require further approval. There were plenty on the construction of the new stadium, none of which have been discharged and also plenty on the construction of the houses, which unsurprisingly have been gradually discharged over the past few years.

I'm not seen anything about the demolition of the back stright stand being prevented though, so I may have missed something in my not very extensive trawl of the documents many years ago.

Either way it is all academic. Stadia UK have got what they wanted, houses, and we all know they have no intention of ever re-developing the stadium. They will be perfectly happy when the new neighbours inevitably complain about the noise and will use that as an excuse to run down the activities at the stadium going forwards.

As stated that is outline pp not detail.  There is a big difference between outline pp and detail.  Outline pp is for the project being allowed, detailed is for every detail relating to each part of the project. 

21 hours ago, MattK said:

As of today, there is planning permission approved for the stadium to be demolished. I presume solicitors deal in fact and therefore that is what homeowners would have been told.

So where is this pp approval you claimed ?

Edited by A ORLOV

There is an interesting footnote to the "new" plans to redevelop the existing stadium. The council asked GI for an extension to the consultation period which GI agreed to. This appears to be in response to Barrett's objection where they claim they will not have enough time to fully review the materials submitted before the deadline of the consultation.

You have to wonder, if GI are genuinely motivated to re-develop the stadium, why they would agree to extend the consultation so that one party can further develop their objections?

6 minutes ago, MattK said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Permission was granted for the outline plan here:

http://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=JIUY3APT0BP00

As I said, going from memory I cannot recall any conditions on the demolition of the stadium, which would therefore require further approval. There were plenty on the construction of the new stadium, none of which have been discharged and also plenty on the construction of the houses, which unsurprisingly have been gradually discharged over the past few years.

I'm not seen anything about the demolition of the back stright stand being prevented though, so I may have missed something in my not very extensive trawl of the documents many years ago.

Either way it is all academic. Stadia UK have got what they wanted, houses, and we all know they have no intention of ever re-developing the stadium. They will be perfectly happy when the new neighbours inevitably complain about the noise and will use that as an excuse to run down the activities at the stadium going forwards.

Would indeed be sad but no great surprise. We have also seen it with Coventry where we know they want to redevelop the site. Speedway will NEVER return there and personally I hope not as the stadium is now in effect a dump. You look at what's going on at Rye and you think, Jeez where will it all end.

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

As stated that is outline pp not detail.  There is a big difference between outline pp and detail.  Outline pp is for the project being allowed, detailed is for every detail relating to each part of the project. 

You don't need outline AND detailed permission. It is one or the other. Outline permission comes with a set of more detailed reserved matters and conditions which have to be met before a certain activity can begin. If you look at the decision document (not sure you can link directly to individual documents) you can see the conditions listed. There are no conditions which prevent the demolition of the existing stadium, other than checking for bats!

There are plenty of protected species in the back straight bogs, trust me. They will never be demolished!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MattK said:

You don't need outline AND detailed permission. It is one or the other. Outline permission comes with a set of more detailed reserved matters and conditions which have to be met before a certain activity can begin. If you look at the decision document (not sure you can link directly to individual documents) you can see the conditions listed. There are no conditions which prevent the demolition of the existing stadium, other than checking for bats!

Normally the first application outlines the overall project and the second goes into detail re each building, road, section of the build.  It may well be that both are submitted at the same time but the majority are not as the developer wants to get the initial OK before going into detail for each individual part of the whole project.

It would be stupid spending hundreds of thousands of pounds coming up with detailed building and road designs etc only for the Council to turn round and tell them they cannot build the stadium on that bit of land, only to have to change all the designs again.

If a person is building a small extension on his property then outline permission is not needed, but for a larger development no one in their right mind would go into tens of thousands of pounds of detailed designs before overall pp had been given. 

Edited by A ORLOV

So we have yet another thursday with good weather but no meeting and the possibility that the one scheduled for the 11th will be postponed as well.  I just hope there is not another panic at the end of the season to get meetings run before the cut off date. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

So we have yet another thursday with good weather but no meeting and the possibility that the one scheduled for the 11th will be postponed as well.  I just hope there is not another panic at the end of the season to get meetings run before the cut off date. 

Spot on. It’s Summer and sunny, but no meeting today or last week. And next week might be called off because we’ve chosen a World Cup semi Wednesday rather than sticking to the Thursday (no football that day). Bonkers.

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

A few fans I know have stopped going for various reasons which is a pity with the defending champs at the top of the pile. Need regular fixtures, regular racenights.

A mate gave me a pile of old Robins progs from the 70s, about 30 meetings every Saturday from March to October. Massive crowds then.

With the lack of movement on the new stadium and the club losing money in a now 7 team league not good for the future of this fine sport.

34 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

A few fans I know have stopped going for various reasons which is a pity with the defending champs at the top of the pile. Need regular fixtures, regular racenights.

A mate gave me a pile of old Robins progs from the 70s, about 30 meetings every Saturday from March to October. Massive crowds then.

With the lack of movement on the new stadium and the club losing money in a now 7 team league not good for the future of this fine sport.

No but even I remember back in the early seventees where BIG money POL didnt rule the speedway roost.  Riders like Barry Briggs rode Saturday in UK. These days he would be riding for the big money in POL so sure wouldnt be there on a Saturday.

4 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

No but even I remember back in the early seventees where BIG money POL didnt rule the speedway roost.  Riders like Barry Briggs rode Saturday in UK. These days he would be riding for the big money in POL so sure wouldnt be there on a Saturday.

Well he might have as Barry Ivan and a few others who rode Saturdays would then ride long track in Germany on Sundays and travel was alot harder then.

The differenc was you had far greater number of UK meetings, Barry and Ivan would be riding sometimes 3 times a week.

Would not be surprised if this is the last season of the Prem league.

15 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Would not be surprised if this is the last season of the Prem league.

And I can't see many more seasons at the Abbey. The plans are progressing at the speed one has come to expect from GI. I can't imagine that I will live to see the day when GI actually build a new stadium anywhere in the country. It's my belief that the new stadium was never going to happen, once planning permission was given for housing. Let's not forget, it was originally mooted that there would be industrial units built by the stadium.