British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, DunRobin said:

And I can't see many more seasons at the Abbey. The plans are progressing at the speed one has come to expect from GI. I can't imagine that I will live to see the day when GI actually build a new stadium anywhere in the country. It's my belief that the new stadium was never going to happen, once planning permission was given for housing. Let's not forget, it was originally mooted that there would be industrial units built by the stadium.

Which from a financial perspective are more lucrative than Speedway and the also slowly dying Greyhound racing.

Not defending these people but it is a realistic fact of the World we now live in. Places like Lakeside can survive as  arguably not real building land imo and nothing better to do than use an old run down stadium for bangers/stocks and Speedway. It pays revenue rather than having a derelict out of the way empty site that many wouldnt  even know exists if you removed the signs.

Swindon seems to me from what I read to now be part of a major housing development with the possibility to also cash in with either more housing ?? or warehousing of which both would reap financial rewards. Speedway and greyhounds won't.

13 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Which from a financial perspective are more lucrative than Speedway and the also slowly dying Greyhound racing.

Not defending these people but it is a realistic fact of the World we now live in. Places like Lakeside can survive as  arguably not real building land imo and nothing better to do than use an old run down stadium for bangers/stocks and Speedway. It pays revenue rather than having a derelict out of the way empty site that many wouldnt  even know exists if you removed the signs.

Swindon seems to me from what I read to now be part of a major housing development with the possibility to also cash in with either more housing ?? or warehousing of which both would reap financial rewards. Speedway and greyhounds won't.

The land at Arena Essex has been sold for redevelopment, so it's just a matter of time before it joins the long list of defunct stadiums in the South East.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:39 PM, A ORLOV said:

It would be stupid spending hundreds of thousands of pounds coming up with detailed building and road designs etc only for the Council to turn round and tell them they cannot build the stadium on that bit of land, only to have to change all the designs again.

For a large development, this happens routinely.  For private companies the value of time means speculatively spending a few hundred grand to potentially chop a few months of time off the date of completion is well worth it.

1 hour ago, OldRacer said:

For a large development, this happens routinely.  For private companies the value of time means speculatively spending a few hundred grand to potentially chop a few months of time off the date of completion is well worth it.

What time saving, this fiasco has been going on for years.  I still recon any sensible company will not gamble on wasting a few hundred grand by not getting outline pp, if they do then more fool the mugs who pay the extra money for the project. 

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The land at Arena Essex has been sold for redevelopment, so it's just a matter of time before it joins the long list of defunct stadiums in the South East.

Good luck to anyone moving there as not a great location/place. Maybe ever more warehousing as plenty of that in the area being fairly close to ports etc.

Have seen plenty of tracks down here close in the 48 years I have been supporting Speedway incl 2 of my favourites in my beloved Hackney Hawks/Kestrels and 2 faithful seasons I attended the eerily under attended White City. At least they won the League one season which we never achieved with the Hawks, although they did win one when they  dropped a league as the Kestrels. Oh happier days :)

20 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Good luck to anyone moving there as not a great location/place. Maybe ever more warehousing as plenty of that in the area being fairly close to ports etc.

Have seen plenty of tracks down here close in the 48 years I have been supporting Speedway incl 2 of my favourites in my beloved Hackney Hawks/Kestrels and 2 faithful seasons I attended the eerily under attended White City. At least they won the League one season which we never achieved with the Hawks, although they did win one when they  dropped a league as the Kestrels. Oh happier days :)

Too right, I cut my teeth as a kid at Wimbledon, Wembley and west ham. I was also a regular at white city. Let's hope Swindon can survive and prosper in a new stadium.

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Along with Eastbourne which has been sold and earmarked for a hotel.

The pressure of land value in the south has seen stadia disappearing at an alarming rate.

The Rye fiasco will only highlight to the prospective developers that speedway isn’t a long term investment.

Its only chance is to share with another sport or event that will find value in operating a stadia,especially in the south as housing is far more profitable.

So I take it the meeting against Leicester will be cancelled on Wednesday if England beat Sweden. 

That will be 3 weeks without a home meeting. 

Just as the grass will return as green as ever when it rains, promoters believe that the sport in the UK will always bounce back because it has strong foundations and a long history. I believe that that history is coming to an end because of things like fractured fixture lists and .......... well, you can add the rest yourselves.

It’s already been announced there will be no meeting next Wednesday should England win this afternoon.  

5 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Just as the grass will return as green as ever when it rains, promoters believe that the sport in the UK will always bounce back because it has strong foundations and a long history. I believe that that history is coming to an end because of things like fractured fixture lists and .......... well, you can add the rest yourselves.

The average age of the fans, will kill speedway in the end.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Surely it’s time to start thinking about a change to the 1-7.

Surely it’s time you thought of (yet) another multi so you can troll (yet) another team? 

It’s getting a bit bit tiresome on the Swindon threads.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Surely it’s time to start thinking about a change to the 1-7.

You have been for months. Swindon fans haven’t and won’t, so “goodbye”. :)