British Speedway Forum

We should have signed Michael Palm Toft, underrated and great at Swindon, instead of Bellego at the start of the season.  Would've then meant a stronger reserve could've come in to partner Zach.  Needing a 2 point reserve all season is really going to cost us big time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcnabadam said:

We should have signed Michael Palm Toft, underrated and great at Swindon, instead of Bellego at the start of the season.  Would've then meant a stronger reserve could've come in to partner Zach.  Needing a 2 point reserve all season is really going to cost us big time.

Fair point.

17 minutes ago, mcnabadam said:

I think it is because our top five have not always  fired Morro, Tobi really like both and David need to improve they are all more than capable those away defeats are also not just down to David also he scored 10 at Belle Vue.

It's not the 2 pointer that's the problem. It's the consistency of the rest of the team, they're not scoring the points together. You have rider's scoring 12 one week then 5 the next. Smith can score between 1 and 3 and is doing his job.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's not the 2 pointer that's the problem. It's the consistency of the rest of the team, they're not scoring the points together. You have rider's scoring 12 one week then 5 the next. Smith can score between 1 and 3 and is doing his job.

Problem is, Jack only scores when another rider falls or has EF. He’s really a 0 pointer. 

We built the team out of a sense of loyalty and for the enjoyment of the fans, rather than in expectation of winning the league.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Out of interest hypothetically with Doyley in the side who would you have in place of David who was available.?

Steve Worrall, Charles Wright, Tungate, Wells, Howarth. There was a glut of riders on around 6.5-ish at the start of the season.

Either way, looking backwards gets us nowhere. We need to look forwards and unless Bellego is back and more importantly fit within the next few days, we are in for a tough couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Problem is, Jack only scores when another rider falls or has EF. He’s really a 0 pointer. 

We built the team out of a sense of loyalty and for the enjoyment of the fans, rather than in expectation of winning the league.

Absolute nonsense, there's no way Rosco and Pratt build teams to not win the league and Rosco's recent comments prove that.

Swindon have a team averaging over 42.50. That means the rider's averages as a whole are consistent. Just meeting on meeting they're inconsistent. Even if you're no7 was averaging 4 you'd still have the same problems because meeting on meeting a 4 point swing is neither here nor there with you team scores.

Swindon's problems are inconsistency NOT the No7.

4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Swindon have a team averaging over 42.50. That means the rider's averages as a whole are consistent. 

Quite the opposite. We have three riders who have experienced large gains (Batchelor, Ellis and Wajtknecht), two who have experienced significant falls (Bellego and Morris) and we threw away 0.31 when we signed Smith for Davey.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Swindon have a team averaging over 42.50. That means the rider's averages as a whole are consistent. Just meeting on meeting they're inconsistent. 

Where’s Donald Rumsfeld when you need him? :)

14 minutes ago, MattK said:

Steve Worrall, Charles Wright, Tungate, Wells, Howarth. There was a glut of riders on around 6.5-ish at the start of the season.

Either way, looking backwards gets us nowhere. We need to look forwards and unless Bellego is back and more importantly fit within the next few days, we are in for a tough couple of weeks.

Bellego is out for 4 weeks, they approached a rider & offered him a 28 day deal however he's signed elsewhere perm. They have said they are exploring options available. I would assume that a rider will be hopefully signed for Monday as we've 6 meetings within a 28 day period. Eric Riss would be one I would look at although I've no idea what average he would come in on.

28 minutes ago, MattK said:

Wells was the only one available out of that lot and personally i am not a fan.But fingers crossed we can win tonight and David is back soon i personally think Somerset will win praying they dont.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Wells was the only one available out of that lot and personally i am not a fan.But fingers crossed we can win tonight and David is back soon i personally think Somerset will win praying they dont.

All riders are available at the start of the season ;)

3 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Bellego should never have been signed in the first place on his 7.37 starting average, his form at the end of the 2017 season was very poor.

I still find it mindblowing that Swindon chose Nick Morris over Jason Doyle, a newly crowned World Champion. Morris has been a shadow of the rider he was in 2017.

Tobiasz Musielak can be class on a speedway bike, he reminds me of a young Per Jonsson, his riding style and passing ability is worth the admission price alone. ✔️

Adam and Zach, 2 young Brit’s who are improving all the time. ✔️

Troy Batchelor has been a sensation, double figures home and away most weeks. Signing of the season contender. ✔️

Jack Smith is just not good enough at this level, slow out the gate & slow machinery. It’s not rocket science, you don’t win the league with a 2 pointer at reserve.

I know the stats don't say it all, but this season .

Doyle started this season on 9.69 …..This season he is averaging 8.52... Drooped 1.17

Morris started on a 8.87 …...…......And this season he's average is 7.51.... Dropped 1.36 

Theres a point between them this season. I read that JD, being WC can earn up to 7k a meeting if he scores big over here.. I'd be surprised if Morris is on any more than 1/3 of that per meeting. I might be wrong. Surely was a money thing. Would the crowds be 3-400 more with JD to make up the wage difference? I don't know.

Edited by Bald Bloke

14 minutes ago, MattK said:

All riders are available at the start of the season ;)

Are you sure? Tungate,Wright,Howarth all ex Swindon riders none are that great  at the Abbey and Stevie W is part of Belle Vue future for along time to come.