British Speedway Forum

Very pleased that at last something positive coming out of Swindon concerning a new track.  I really hope it all comes together.  The frustrations and constant doubts will be worth it if it does eventuate.  It's reminiscent of what we went though before the NSS emerged.  I hope Swindon fans enjoy such a good result as that and really, all the backbiting isn't worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The only track better than Poole in the top flight is NSS imo. Somersets was good but seems to have gone to the dogs this year. Swindon, Leicester equal bottom. Kings Lynn is gate and go nowdays. Wolverhampton isn’t proper speedway.

The FUNNY farm that is where you are heading Troll comes to mind.!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hyabb17 said:

Can we stop arguing on who's track is best. Aside from BV in the top league I think all tracks need looking at & money spent on them. The main thing is that Swindon will have a track next year, hopefully with the new dimensions which should make closer racing, If you've listened to what RR said & Tobi said the same last night, the long fast straights at Swindon make it difficult to pass especially due to them being very narrow.

Please can this thread return to talking about Swindon.

I would totally agree with that all tracks apart from the NSS need looking at i have only been to Scunthorpe once but that is a lovely track also.Back to Swindon if it is a Somerset type design that would be great be happy with that the main thing is that Speedway remains in Swindon.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I would totally agree with that all tracks apart from the NSS need looking at i have only been to Scunthorpe once but that is a lovely track also.Back to Swindon if it is a Somerset type design that would be great be happy with that the main thing is that Speedway remains in Swindon.

And that we have Josh Auty at #1 in 2019. :D

i totally agree with SS, we need a race track, there's the clue boys and girls, RACE track.

Blunsdon has been poor for a while now, i know most tracks are gate and go, but Blunsdon being a quick, big track highlights the issue, races being spread out, slower riders keeping in front of quicker ones!

We need to get this right, as it'll soon become apparent if we've failed and what gets dished up is crap.

Get the track right and the fans will be happy, although the whingers will still find something to get their nails into :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Would prefer that any new  track has slightly longer straights than Somerset as that can be ridden as a circle from the inside of the bends to the outside of the straights.

The great Leigh Adams described Somerset as “ a great fast race track”. He broke the track record there and said afterwards, “ I had a blast riding that track”. 

That’s good enough for me  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

The great Leigh Adams described Somerset as “ a great fast race track”. He broke the track record there and said afterwards, “ I had a blast riding that track”. 

That’s good enough for me  

On my 2 visits there, a win and loss for the Robins, there has been some top drawer stuff, much better than The Abbey gate and go, and surprise when someone is passed after bend 2.

The Oak Tree is better for viewing as well, no dog track and fences and metal to look through. If i lived about halfway somehere around Bath or Bristol would go to Zummerzet regularly. The Abbey has slicker presentation though.

Edited by auntie doris

On 9/11/2018 at 11:06 AM, Grachan said:

Is Ronnie designing the track? Surely there should be some rider involvement in how it should be.

Ronnie has watched a lot of matches all over the place and even some videos during the winter. He will have a good idea of what might be needed.

4 minutes ago, noaksey said:

They can mark out the track but as far as I'm aware they don't have planning permission yet 

They don’t need it. They track is already there and they are altering the shape, not putting in a new track. They are using the pits bend.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 3:47 PM, The Weasel said:

And that we have Josh Auty at #1 in 2019. :D

Tonge in cheek Weasel  surely you ain't  taking the  M ......  no we shall  see what happens in the new league format.Auty should stay at Scunny whatever league they are in he would do well certainly at home also he will get  his Testimonial that he deserves.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

They don’t need it. They track is already there and they are altering the shape, not putting in a new track. They are using the pits bend.

As far as i read it:

They made a new application which involved moving the stadium on to the site of the existing car park. This was abandoned and they then made an application to vary the existing permission by shortening the track and erecting new buildings etc. 

It’s a positive bit of information, but I’m not going to be popping any champagne corks after learning the “news” from a shoddy Facebook video interview provided by a minor local news outlet off the back of a misunderstood question. I wonder if Ron spoke out of turn slightly, as it seems to be an odd place to reveal details of something that’s been up in the air for the last 12 years :lol:. Either way, some discussion from the “inside” is better than nothing at all.

Conversely I couldn’t understand everyone wringing their hands over it “looking like the last year of speedway at the Abbey” or “struggling to see there any hope Swindon  running next year”. There’s been precisely no news and no talk of the speedway stopping imminently. If there is no news, things continue as they always have done. People seem to be putting a “crap” season and some poor crowds (because of poor results and general decline of British speedway) together with the confusion over the new stadium, and coming up with immediate armegeddon. We know Osbourne plays the long game on all of this...it’s been going on for 12 years for goodness sake. Unless there’s any news of note, nothing will be happening immenently. The most important thing for now is that speedway continues to run there. As long as that is happening, it’s much harder to get rid of. 

The club has been investing in riders recently, and just got a new set of advertising banners made for the 3rd and 4th bends, so they can’t be too concerned with the speedway suddenly stopping.

Hopefully if they’re changing the track during the winter, they’re trying to improve things for the racing spectacle at blunsdon, to try and get crowd numbers up a bit, along with a competitive team, to strengthen speedway’s presence at the abbey. I really don’t see a long term future for speedway at the current site as things stand, but in the short to medium term, if speedway doesn’t look like it’s going to budge without digging its heels in first, it can only help our long term prospects.

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Who would notice:wink: